OMG NCL price increase?????

cmdchiefthom

So my wife and I are sitting in from of the fireplace, watching the Noles/Miami game Saturday evening, and I'm thinking to myself, driving all the way to Miami in January 2016 to board the Escape for one single week of cruising is just stupid! Why don't I look for another NCL cruise and do another week like we're doing next January aboard the Getaway and the Epic. Seemed like a good idea, but I wanted to put the numbers together before I told my dear spouse.

OK, so I go to the NCL site, put in my info, Caribbean, all, two PAX, January-February 2016. The wheels turn, lights flash, the puter is crunching, and low and behold it turns up a 10 day cruise, four ports with a partial transit of the Panama Canal, aboard a ship we've cruised aboard several times, the Pearl. Now there are certain cabins we like on Jewel class ships, 9002 and 9502, SE suites two decks below the bridge facing the bow of the ship. These are the only category of cabins we've booked aboard this class of ship.

So I plug in the info, and low and behold, the per person price kicks out, $5919 PP. I think it was then that my heart stopped and I seized, but luckily,I regained a heartbeat and consciousness before my wife could get the phone and dial 911. Perhaps an error, or better yet, an NCL loyalty test???? My mind raced, how could NCL be this stupid??? Hadn't I just had three glorious weeks aboard the Jade in Europe a third of this cost per week, in those forward suites, it must be a typo.

So yesterday morning, I worked the numbers again. Perhaps I missed something, maybe the UBP and UDP were included, but as my fingers banged the keys putting in all my information, hoping the morning would bring a different result, alas I was to be disappointed again, math doesn't lie!

Now I need to mention, that we have done a similar itinerary, aboard the ships of HAL four times, and actually my first cruise was this itinerary aboard the old Noordam. It is a great trip. Well, knowing how much an itinerary like this should cost, I went over to the HAL site, and went through that booking process. I found a similar itinerary, except for 11 days, with (count 'em) six ports in an aft wrap-around Neptune Suite for $3599 PP.

So my dilemma is simply this, is the NCL experience, two fewer ports, and one less day, smaller suite etc worth $2320 more PP, or $4640 total? Another way to look at it would be, which choice is more stupid!!!!

I’m not finished with NCL yet, I’ve got one of the absolutely best Personal Cruise Consultants, D.V., and if anyone can figure what’s going on here, he can. This morning, he confirmed my numbers as the published price, but believes it will go down as it gets closer to the sail date.

I’m just kind of curious if anyone else here has had a similar experience with pricing future NCL bookings recently? I'm really sticker shocked after a dozen NCL cruises done, and three more coming up in the next five months. :eek:

That particular itinerary does seem particularly expensive. We had been eyeing it too for next December. It is really unclear why it is so expensive as other lines do seem to do it less expensively. Perhaps because it is new or different the price is higher and perhaps they will drop when they realize even those of us who are most loyal think that is way too high to book (even an inside).

I've looked at numerous trips for next year and beyond both during peak and slow seasons. NCL has really high prices compared to what they have been historically. They started going off the charts roughly in June of this year.

We did book a NCL trip in late 2015 shortly around the first round of price increases but the overall room cost was fairly reasonable. We don't have anything booked for next summer and if prices stay crazy high when they release 2016 summer dates, we won't be booking then either. I did notice DCL prices in many cases were up 20-25% in many categories as well.

The one thing NCL prices have done is make us look seriously at other lines.

....... and low and behold it turns up a 10 day cruise, four ports with a partial transit of the Panama Canal, aboard a ship we've cruised aboard several times, the Pearl. Now there are certain cabins we like on Jewel class ships, 9002 and 9502, SE suites two decks below the bridge facing the bow of the ship. ...

Now I need to mention, that we have done a similar itinerary, aboard the ships of HAL four times,...

So, you have done Panama Canal partial transit four times and want to do it again?

Hmmmmm

Potentially off topic (apologies) but I booked the Breakaway for Sept 2015 and I keep an eye on the price. One odd thing: When I originally did a few mock bookings to check out prices, it indicated a $500 deposit was required. When I ended up booking it was only $250.

Several mock bookings have also been $250. Just did another and its now $500 again. Same details for every bookings. What gives on the changing deposit?

I have to agree with dexddd, I started seeing the large increase for balconies and suites in the summer time frame as well.

I guess it is like any business, you price something and see if it sales. Maybe out of the 1,000's that look and think it is too high for them, the right amount can work with those prices....No harm, no foul on the cruise line's part...

Like all of them, if the cabins do not sell, the price will come down closer to the sail date. But is sure nice to book something and plan ahead of time....:)

Edited by FireEater

Potentially off topic (apologies) but I booked the Breakaway for Sept 2015 and I keep an eye on the price. One odd thing: When I originally did a few mock bookings to check out prices, it indicated a $500 deposit was required. When I ended up booking it was only $250.

Several mock bookings have also been $250. Just did another and its now $500 again. Same details for every bookings. What gives on the changing deposit?

Probably just a function of what promotion is running at each point when you book. Often, cruise lines will run 50% deposit sales, which means passenger is only required to make 50% of the normal deposit amount.

Edited by logan25

So, you have done Panama Canal partial transit four times and want to do it again?

Hmmmmm

Absolutely. The engineering is amazing in the locks, much of the new locks can be seen, the excursions are interesting, and its 10 days of warmth. Given the choices of itineraries in the Caribbean these days, the southern region seems the least crowded. You can't find many of the lines who do itineraries with Grenada, Barbados, St. Kitts, so doing this itinerary gives you days at sea and a sense of distance. Having said that however, not for the price NCL is asking.:eek:

The rates have been on the high side. In 2012, I paid $2200 for four of us in a SJ suite on the Star over Thanksgiving with $300 obc. This Thanksgiving I am paying $2241 for four in an ID inside cabin with $75 obc. Both cruises are out of New Orleans.

OK, so I go to the NCL site, put in my info, Caribbean, all, two PAX, January-February 2016. The wheels turn, lights flash, the puter is crunching, and low and behold it turns up a 10 day cruise, four ports with a partial transit of the Panama Canal, aboard a ship we've cruised aboard several times, the Pearl. Now there are certain cabins we like on Jewel class ships, 9002 and 9502, SE suites two decks below the bridge facing the bow of the ship. These are the only category of cabins we've booked aboard this class of ship.

From my experience, NCL charges a huge premium for those forward facing suites on Panama Canal cruises. The view of the transit through the locks from these suites is unreal, and it definitely beats having to fight for a spot at the rail on the public decks with forward views. NCL demands a King's ransom for the opportunity, but people will pay it for the experience.

The prices for the Caribbean cruises have went way up. But actually they just went back to normal pricing. I have read 3 articles over the past few months here in Miami that stated the glut of Caribbean cruises is OVER. Carnival has no more bottom pricing and fewer last minute deals. I would think with all these monster ships coming to Miami the glut would stay awhile. But cruise pricing has went up for every cruise line sailing the Caribbean. I am taking a cruise in February 2015 that I booked in December 2013. My cruise has doubled in price in one year and I am sailing the slowest cruise week of the year.

The BIG question is if the ships continue to be full the prices will never come down again :eek:

This is probably not the issue since you found out that it was the right price from your Personal Cruise Consultant but I have noticed when I look up prices they sometimes include air, hotels, and cruisetours. I hate having to uncheck those boxes every time I look up a cruise. I think they should have it so that you can check them if you are interested in them.

Hope you find a great price. We would like to do this itinerary sometime.

I have been looking for another Carribean cruise in the summer and the prices for those have gone up a lot also. I am checking balconies, insides anything.

Then the Haven room we have booked for Feb. has almost doubled in price. WOW!!! I will be looking at other lines if we are sailing with our older children.

I find it funny that these same conversations are happening on the RCI board. Prices are outrageous and have been for some time. It leaves us all wondering if this new pricing is here to stay. Glad I booked my three cruises before the prices climbed! NCL was always such a great value. I think Carnival is the only cruiseline that is cheaper. Maybe we will have to give them a try!

Lauri

I think Carnival is the only cruiseline that is cheaper. Maybe we will have to give them a try!

Lauri

CCL is great!! As you can see from my past cruises, I tend to use them a lot. They are really convenient with a lot of different homeports. The only thing bad about them is the majority of their ships are old!! They have 8 Fantasy-class ships, around the same size as the Sky, but are as old as 1990. And only 1 new build on the way. That is what the majority of their cheap cruises are on. Hardly any balconies on those ships. I like NCL also, as my next two are on them, but usually do 3-5 day cruises and I've been on the Sky twice, not much left. But, I'm retired now, so will probably be on NCL more. Looking forward to the Epic, though and got my Transatlantic balcony for $850pp which I thought was a great deal. Haven't seen it lower than $1300 since I booked it. Give Carnival a try, but try one of the newer ships, if possible.

There was a pretty large price increase on the South American cruise I was looking at for next year's holiday time (NCL Sun departing 12/19/2015). O1 category family picture window was going for $3,499/PP and BD balcony category was going for $3,529/PP.

I asked my Travel Agent about air prices, and she said the category upgrade deal going on would let us buy the O1 price and get the BD balcony. I didn't think it was a big deal because it was only saving $30/PP.

I checked the website about two hours later and the price for the O1 had shot up to $4,199/PP ($700/PP increase) and BD to $4,699/PP ($1,100/PP increase). I almost broke into a cold sweat. At those prices, my chances of taking the South American cruise probably just vanished.

I told my travel agent about it, and as luck would have it, when she inquired for me about the price for airfare, she had to put a temporary reservation on the earlier price, so we got locked into the fares before their explosive increase. But wow, talk about a price increase!

Back in May, the BD was going for $2,999/PP and the O1 for $2,389. The fares on the South American holiday cruise just seem to be skyrocketing.

Well it is 6 weeks until Christmas and people have been known to say.... "Hey, lets not buy a bunch of junk this year, lets surprise the kids with a cruise!"

Yep, Ncl is just looking to see if anyone will bite at these prices

Marketing 101. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Prices seem to have gone up, at least when I look at our current bookings. That is, we paid less than what is now being charged, even for sailings that are fairly far in the future.

Also, there have been several promos. For every one of our sailings, when the promotion began, the price increased. The sale sounded like a good deal, but when I looked at the bottom line, the promotion would have been more expensive for us. I'm sure that some people had better luck with these promotions than we did, but they didn't work out for us.

Also, I think that NCL suite prices may have increased disproportionately when compared to other categories of cabins. (There was a thread about this a little while ago.) I love NCL suite perks, but we've sailed another line several times this fall because their suites were less expensive than what we were finding with NCL.

As others have said, it's supply and demand driven. Hopefully prices will go down a bit after the new year. Then we can book more cruises:D

CCL is great!! As you can see from my past cruises, I tend to use them a lot. They are really convenient with a lot of different homeports. The only thing bad about them is the majority of their ships are old!! They have 8 Fantasy-class ships, around the same size as the Sky, but are as old as 1990. And only 1 new build on the way. That is what the majority of their cheap cruises are on. Hardly any balconies on those ships. I like NCL also, as my next two are on them, but usually do 3-5 day cruises and I've been on the Sky twice, not much left. But, I'm retired now, so will probably be on NCL more. Looking forward to the Epic, though and got my Transatlantic balcony for $850pp which I thought was a great deal. Haven't seen it lower than $1300 since I booked it. Give Carnival a try, but try one of the newer ships, if possible.

Thanks Randy for the suggestion! We will have to give CCL a try! I was always worried about too much partying when we sailed with the kids, but now that we are empty nesters, that is not a worry. And believe me, we have seen some outrageous partying on all the lines we have been on! Lauri

From my experience, NCL charges a huge premium for those forward facing suites on Panama Canal cruises. The view of the transit through the locks from these suites is unreal, and it definitely beats having to fight for a spot at the rail on the public decks with forward views. NCL demands a King's ransom for the opportunity, but people will pay it for the experience.

I considered the location of the forward SE suites and the cost, however I had 9002 aboard the Jade in May of this year for three weeks B2B. The cost PP per week was $2300, and that included five transits of the Grand Canal in Venice, so I don't believe that would have anything to do with the price we're talking about here.:)

I considered the location of the forward SE suites and the cost, however I had 9002 aboard the Jade in May of this year for three weeks B2B. The cost PP per week was $2300, and that included five transits of the Grand Canal in Venice, so I don't believe that would have anything to do with the price we're talking about here.:)

I thoroughly disagree. You're comparing apples and oranges. I've stayed in those forward SE suites several times on various itineraries. On the Panama Canal cruise I took this January on Star, we initially looked at booking that same category, but it was many, many times what we had paid in the past. After consulting with NCL and others onboard, we came to the conclusion that this has been typical for many years. Whether or not you want to acknowledge that fact is your business.

I left NCL this year when Celebrity started their drink package promotion and NCL had no itineraries. With airfare and cruise prices, some land based, all inclusive might be a choice. Sorry, Eddie!

Edited by blindrid

I thoroughly disagree. You're comparing apples and oranges. I've stayed in those forward SE suites several times on various itineraries. On the Panama Canal cruise I took this January on Star, we initially looked at booking that same category, but it was many, many times what we had paid in the past. After consulting with NCL and others onboard, we came to the conclusion that this has been typical for many years. Whether or not you want to acknowledge that fact is your business.

Well you can certainly disagree, that the beauty of free speech.;)