Flight surcharge

Captain Rob

Just got back from Caribbean on Azura and was looking to book again for next year. Surprised to see they now charge a £100 pp surcharge for flying from Birmingham or Glasgow. Never had to pay in the past. Has Birmingham moved further away from Barbados?

Supply and demand - if they think they can easily fill flights from a particular airport they will try charging extra. We once paid £300 p.p.less to do a Caribbean cruise from our local airport compared with prices from Birmingham and Manchester - reason being the plane was only two thirds full and the knock-down price was an attempt to fill it. (They've never offered flights from out local airport since!)

Hi Kruzeseeka

We met fellow passengers a couple of cruises ago who used to fly from Bournmouth and we're now having to fly from Gatwick.

Since we started cruising with P&O in 2005 they have reduced the number of flights from Glasgow. Next year the last flight from Glasgow for Britannia is 01/01/2016. Nothing from then until the end of the season, unless we go down to Manchester. If they continue in that way I can see my cruising coming to an end.

Happy cruising to you.

Hi Kruzeseeka

We met fellow passengers a couple of cruises ago who used to fly from Bournmouth and we're now having to fly from Gatwick.

Since we started cruising with P&O in 2005 they have reduced the number of flights from Glasgow. Next year the last flight from Glasgow for Britannia is 01/01/2016. Nothing from then until the end of the season, unless we go down to Manchester. If they continue in that way I can see my cruising coming to an end.

Happy cruising to you.

Yes we have to go to Gatwick too - not our favourite airport and not a good journey either. We're flying from there in January. We actually prefer going to Exeter if we can't get Bournemouth but they have limited flights from there too. Hope they maintain a decent choice for you in Scotland so that you can continue cruising.

Hi Kruzeseeka

Happy cruising to you.

Although not as local surely its better to travel to Manchester than stop cruising altogether?

Our journey to Gatwick is either 240 miles by car, a flight and a coach or 3 trains but we would never let that stop us from taking a holiday.

Isnt there a train direct to Manchester from Glasgow then a connecting train direct into the airport? Some reasonable on site hotels then fly the next morning.

£80 surcharge from Glasgow to Barbados in January, 2015. It seems ridiculous as Glasgow is nearly on the flight path and should be less flying time than from London. Saying that, it`s still worth it to fly direct to Barbados.

Edited by caber

£80 surcharge from Glasgow to Barbados in January, 2015. It seems ridiculous as Glasgow is nearly on the flight path and should be less flying time than from London.

It's supply/demand also known as operators trying their luck, rather than anything logical like flying distance.

We are totally spoiled as we only stay a 10 minute drive from Glasgow Airport, two years ago we had to fly from Edinburgh which is about an hour from home depending on traffic.

As we normally cruise at the end of February going to Manchester could be a problem depending on the weather, but I suppose if the worst came to the worst we would consider it.

Yes we have to go to Gatwick too - not our favourite airport and not a good journey either. We're flying from there in January. We actually prefer going to Exeter if we can't get Bournemouth but they have limited flights from there too. Hope they maintain a decent choice for you in Scotland so that you can continue cruising.

I'm fairly sure a few years ago I saw P&O Caribbean cruises advertised from direct from Exeter. It's a lovely little airport. They used to fly to Canada too. We're quite pleased to have got Cardiff next month as it's probably 1 1/2 hours less than Gatwick :)

We are totally spoiled as we only stay a 10 minute drive from Glasgow Airport, two years ago we had to fly from Edinburgh which is about an hour from home depending on traffic.

As we normally cruise at the end of February going to Manchester could be a problem depending on the weather, but I suppose if the worst came to the worst we would consider it.

Gatwick might be an easier option then? GLA to LGW in an hour isnt too bad.

I'm fairly sure a few years ago I saw P&O Caribbean cruises advertised from direct from Exeter. It's a lovely little airport. They used to fly to Canada too. We're quite pleased to have got Cardiff next month as it's probably 1 1/2 hours less than Gatwick :)

You are right - but I think only on selected dates which can be a bit restrictive and of course pins you down to a particular itinerary. We have a TA here in Bournemouth which works with P&O and offers odd dates for a chartered flight to the Caribbean from the airport here - but again only an odd one. But definitely worth looking out for and if it suits, much better than getting to Gatwick for sure.

I much prefer local airports and yes, Exeter is lovely and a pleasant and easy drive for us to the airport. We've flown to Corfu and Marmaris from there in the past. So much better than the hustle bustle of such as Gatwick and Heathrow! Enjoy your flight from Cardiff - I can understand you preferring that to the journey to LGW.