ETSA needed for Alaska cruise?

Personally I would just apply and if they say you need ..... pay the pittance.... do you really want nightmares about the possibility of denied boarding... I wouldn't :D

Yes I think you're right. For me it's a long way out so I'd just started looking. I think I'll be taking this advice. :)

It would be an extremely foolish and irresponsible thing not to get an ESTA. You will be denied entry into the USA without one. Things like this ruin peoples holidays all because they are cheap and want to save a few $$$ by avoiding the processing fee.

The law is very clear on this and the USA is very strict on immigration procedures and do not turn a blind eye to anyone.

Any travel to USA regardless of who you are with you require an ESTA if you are an Australian citizen and passport holder. That includes transit flights.

It would be an extremely foolish and irresponsible thing not to get an ESTA. You will be denied entry into the USA without one. Things like this ruin peoples holidays all because they are cheap and want to save a few $$$ by avoiding the processing fee.

The law is very clear on this and the USA is very strict on immigration procedures and do not turn a blind eye to anyone.

Any travel to USA regardless of who you are with you require an ESTA if you are an Australian citizen and passport holder. That includes transit flights.

Going off the US embassy website, it would appear you're actually incorrect. If you're an Australian citizen and passport holder meeting the eligibility of an ETSA then you will be granted entry with the VWP.

I agree that getting an ETSA seems the smartest way to go, but the information from the US embassy appears to conflict with what you've said.

When we went to the USA for the first time last year my TA emphasised the need to get an ESTA for my husband and I. Quickly done online both with forms and payment. I took a hardcopy with me in case there were any queries.

I feel it is worth eliminating the worry of whether you will be granted entry with the VWP, especially if there is some uncertainty from the US Embassy website. When you consider the overall cost of the holiday it is such a small amount.

This is just my opinion.:)

Would you be eligible for the Visa Waiver Program https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/WebHelp/ESTA_Screen-Level_Online_Help_1.htm#vwp3

I'm looking into this for our US trip which will include a cruise in the Caribbean.

Most Australians are eligible for the VWP.

However, you then need an ESTA.

Alternatively you can get the visa.

It's one or the other.

Had a quick look at the link posted and I see one of the Visa Waiver Program requirements is: you are eligible to apply for admission under the Visa Waiver Program if you have authorization to travel via the Electronic System for Travel Authorization..... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

That's correct - because it's saying the ESTA is required if you're eligible to and not getting a visa.

Going off the US embassy website, it would appear you're actually incorrect. If you're an Australian citizen and passport holder meeting the eligibility of an ETSA then you will be granted entry with the VWP.

I agree that getting an ETSA seems the smartest way to go, but the information from the US embassy appears to conflict with what you've said.

Nope, karateman was spot on. If you don't have one or the other you will be denied entry.

Sorry to the OP for hijacking a little.

THANK YOU BIG M - you have just cleared it all up for me.

The way I was reading it, was either the ESTA or the VWP. Nothing I was reading mentioned a Visa, so that's where my confusion was coming from, along with the fact that my TA has not suggested a visa AT ALL!

Edited by TeamH

Also I forgot to mention a criminal record can prevent travel to the USA. If you have a record you are likely to have to go through the visa application process and leave it up to them if they want you.

Communicable diseases is another factor that can prevent entry as well as a list of other "undesirable" qualities the US does not want in their country.

On the ESTA website there is a list of questions. If you tick yes to any of them then you need to apply for a visa.

As part of my work I have had to been cleared with criminal background checks. They basically print you a certificate saying "at the date of issue there are no discloseable court outcomes recorded" I keep .pdf files saved in my laptop of such documents. This day and age with all the banned people you would hate to be denied entry over a name mix-up as well.

They don't muck around when it comes to banning people from their country.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_barred_or_excluded_from_the_United_States

They have banned people like the current Prime Minister of India who has just recently been in Australia. Even singer Cat Stevens was banned and deported because he "changed his name"

Edited by KarateMan

Also I forgot to mention a criminal record can prevent travel to the USA. If you have a record you are likely to have to go through the visa application process and leave it up to them if they want you.

Communicable diseases is another factor that can prevent entry as well as a list of other "undesirable" qualities the US does not want in their country.

On the ESTA website there is a list of questions. If you tick yes to any of them then you need to apply for a visa.

As part of my work I have had to been cleared with criminal background checks. They basically print you a certificate saying "at the date of issue there are no discloseable court outcomes recorded" I keep .pdf files saved in my laptop of such documents. This day and age with all the banned people you would hate to be denied entry over a name mix-up as well.

They don't muck around when it comes to banning people from their country.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_barred_or_excluded_from_the_United_States

They have banned people like the current Prime Minister of India who has just recently been in Australia. Even singer Cat Stevens was banned and deported because he "changed his name"

You dont need a criminal record! they ask you if you are dishonest, if you answer yes your ESTA is denied lol Just being "arrested" without conviction is enough to have ESTA denied even for just protesting an event!

Even if just in transit for any period in USA as you mentioned will require an ESTA or a Visa .

We had a friend come to our wedding in Vegas, she had lived in Aust almost all her life but was born in a non ESTA country,she had only ever had an AU passport because she came here as a baby, "ESTA was denied":eek:

Nobody told me I needed a copy of ESTA a few years ago but I carried a copy anyway, glad i did as I was asked for that copy at Sydney airport, last trip Qantas didnt ask to see it though they just asked if we had it but Carnival in New Orleans asked to see it?

With the above AU authorities do not share information with U.S for anything other than serious matters, If a person has a conviction that is "spent" (10 years after completion of sentence) they have a legal right to tick "no" to criminal convictions on any documentation with just a few exceptions dependant on some Govnt job application types or conviction type like paedophilia and murder which are never "Spent, an AFP police clearance shows no convictions when a conviction is "Spent"

In USA there is no such thing as spent conviction.

Edited by fishtaco

With the above AU authorities do not share information with U.S for anything other than serious matters, If a person has a conviction that is "spent" (10 years after completion of sentence) they have a legal right to tick "no" to criminal convictions on any documentation with just a few exceptions dependant on some Govnt job application types or conviction type like paedophilia and murder which are never "Spent, an AFP police clearance shows no convictions when a conviction is "Spent"

In USA there is no such thing as spent conviction.

If your legally entitled to tick no to criminal convictions or arrests then you should tick no.

I have seen news stories where people have been denied entry because they were silly enough to tick "yes" when all they had were driving infringements. I cant recall the details but once they applied for a visa and it was established they were also treated for mental illness it was goodbye and see you later, your not coming into USA. From what I read of the report was that the person was legally entitled to tick no to all the questions and enter under the VWP. I believe it was a British news story and not Australian.

I will tell you how up to date the US Border Protection people are these days. My fingerprints are on file in Australia being a retired Police Officer, having had prints taken back in 1967 on joining.

When I arrived in LA in April post cruise, the US Border Protection guy said ' Your fingerprints are on file in Australia, but we will let you in to the USA of A, welcome to America sir, how is retirement after law enforcement sir ?' True story.

Of course there is cross border cooperation, there has to be. And as has been said, be up front with US Authorities, you won't win if you argue, believe me.

Edited by NSWP

I will tell you how up to date the US Border Protection people are these days. My fingerprints are on file in Australia being a retired Police Officer, having had prints taken back in 1967 on joining.

When I arrived in LA in April post cruise, the US Border Protection guy said ' Your fingerprints are on file in Australia, but we will let you in to the USA of A, welcome to America sir, how is retirement after law enforcement sir ?' True story.

Of course there is cross border cooperation, there has to be. And as has been said, be up front with US Authorities, you won't win if you argue, believe me.

I never got any of that Les, they didn't even want to see what I declared let alone who I was working for back in Aus. The guy processing us was lovely though. :)

Yes, they know. They can ask lots of questions which may even seem irrelevant but it is just checking out your travel plans and intentions for being in the US. Honesty is the best policy.:D

I never got any of that Les, they didn't even want to see what I declared let alone who I was working for back in Aus. The guy processing us was lovely though. :)

Immigrations and customs are like chalk and cheese when comparing personalities (especially when coming from the south like Mexico).:eek:

Edited by MicCanberra

The way I was reading it, was either the ESTA or the VWP. Nothing I was reading mentioned a Visa,

ESTA is NOT a visa, it's the online entry registration for citizens of countries in the WVP program. It eliminates one form that had to be filled out in the plane or at immigration in the past. I don't know what they used to do with all that paper. ;)

Call the AFP for the correct Answer! I had a friend who did this before applying for ESTA because of a minor conviction many years ago and he was told by AFP to tick no because his conviction was spent and that AFP do not share their details with USA but they do with the UK.

Usa and canada share their details.

My friend did a lot of research before he went to USA last year on ESTA, so they only share what is necessary and minor convictions even including prison terms are not shared across the AU US border unless the person is a threat.

I think you give USA homeland security way too much credibility in having every criminals fingerprints and records from all over the western world for all of modern time.

On the other hand it is against USA law to make a false deceleration on a USA homeland security document.

ESTA is NOT a visa, it's the online entry registration for citizens of countries in the WVP program. It eliminates one form that had to be filled out in the plane or at immigration in the past. I don't know what they used to do with all that paper. ;)

You still have to fill out paperwork on the plane even with ESTA.

Esta is just an authority to travel to USA where a Visa may or may not be granted at US immigration.

My first few trips to USA there was no ESTA or visa waiver, I had to go to a USA consulate for a Visa each visit.

ESTA is so much easier:)

Interesting, I suppose the moral of the story is to do one of the following

• do not commit any crimes;
  • do not get convicted of any crimes you do; or
  • do not tick yes to the fact you had committed any crimes and have convictions.

It is an offence to tick no if it is yes:)

It is not an offence to tick no if your conviction is "Spent" USA officials may see this differently though because USA has no spent conviction laws but they would never know unless you ticked yes:D.

There are many horror travel stories where people decided to tick yes for a very minor issue that happened in the past and had to apply for a visa, once you tell the US authorities you are an offender well then they know! and the only way they know re spent convictions and minor issues is by telling them:)

It is an offence to tick no if it is yes:)

It is not an offence to tick no if your conviction is "Spent" USA officials may see this differently though because USA has no spent conviction laws but they would never know unless you ticked yes:D.

There are many horror travel stories where people decided to tick yes for a very minor issue that happened in the past and had to apply for a visa, once you tell the US authorities you are an offender well then they know! and the only way they know re spent convictions and minor issues is by telling them:)

Exactly right be honest but to a point.:rolleyes: