ok to take food off ship on excursions?

SeaMystique

In some countries like Australia and New Zealand, it is illegal to take even chewing gum or mints ashore. You will be arrested and fined if caught.

Sorry but that is rubbish!! Commercially packed product of non produce meat and dairy is fine, declare it and our guys will confirm or reject but chewing gum and candy is just fine!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi all,

We're sailing on the Island Princess through the Panama Canal (2day transit), embarking from Fort Lauderdale on 2/19/15. There's a ship excursion that looks interesting, in Mexico (Puerto Chiapas). Princess gives 2 possible times to take the tour, at 8:30 or 10:45 am. We'd prefer the later time, but there doesn't seem to be any food offered on this tour and we'll want lunch. Is it possible to get sandwiches, fruit, chips, etc., "to go" onshore? How about frozen ice-packs..?How would we do it: buffet, room service, or ..? We'll have our own cooler bag.

Thanks

Wow, thank you, everyone, for setting me straight. Sometimes it's easy to see trees where the forest should be ...

We'll figure it out. Nobody will starve. Living in L.A., I'm well aware that "they have food in Mexico," as one poster had it. I just was thinking about creature comforts rather than the fact that we would be going into a sovereign nation with its own laws, etc. Having spent an extremely nervous half-hour once in an Ensenada police station, I know they have laws in Mexico, too.

I'll try to ask a less ridiculous question next time.

I bring snack packages of cheese crackers -- there are several varieties -- from home in our carry-ons.

Whenever we have an excursion that is over the lunch time, I take along a couple of bottles of water and a couple of packages of the crackers as my DH has medication that he has to take around Noon.

Never had a problem with taking them ashore.

Wow, thank you, everyone, for setting me straight. Sometimes it's easy to see trees where the forest should be ...

We'll figure it out. Nobody will starve. Living in L.A., I'm well aware that "they have food in Mexico," as one poster had it. I just was thinking about creature comforts rather than the fact that we would be going into a sovereign nation with its own laws, etc. Having spent an extremely nervous half-hour once in an Ensenada police station, I know they have laws in Mexico, too.

I'll try to ask a less ridiculous question next time.

That was a perfectly reasonable question to ask! Don't let some over zealous answers put you off CC. I take what I need from here and leave the rest.:D

Happy Holidays!

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

It was a perfectly reasonable question to ask.

I got stopped at Ag when I moved back from Guam to the mainland. I had five Guam dogs and three Guam cats with me, with a sheaf of paperwork, and a poor over-burdened skycap attempting to maneuver the carts with them and my luggage, while I cleared Customs.

The Ag guy couldn't have cared less about what was in the animal carriers, but he was REALLY interested in the small bag of baby carrots I had with me...carrots that had been grown and packaged in California, shipped to the U.S. territory of Guam, and brought back by me. I did declare them, but it never occurred to me that they would be a problem. He did give the bag back to me, and the animals and I went on our way.

That was in 1999 and the last of the animals just died a couple of weeks ago.

She was pretty rude to the Ag guy. Last we saw of her she was being led to a room. We headed to our connection so I don't know what happened, how long it took or how much it cost.

I really wonder what people think they're going to achieve by being rude on occasions like that. Do they really think that the officer is going to be more lenient if they are rude to him or her?

In some countries like Australia and New Zealand, it is illegal to take even chewing gum or mints ashore. You will be arrested and fined if caught.

sorry BruceMuzz, that's not true. confectionary is OK to take into Australia and you won't be arrested. you will be fined for taking undeclared food in though. but agree with others, best to leave the food on board.

Hi all,

We're sailing on the Island Princess through the Panama Canal (2day transit), embarking from Fort Lauderdale on 2/19/15. There's a ship excursion that looks interesting, in Mexico (Puerto Chiapas). Princess gives 2 possible times to take the tour, at 8:30 or 10:45 am. We'd prefer the later time, but there doesn't seem to be any food offered on this tour and we'll want lunch. Is it possible to get sandwiches, fruit, chips, etc., "to go" onshore? How about frozen ice-packs..?How would we do it: buffet, room service, or ..? We'll have our own cooler bag.

Thanks😄

In many ports it is illegal to take food off the ship. That said, packaged food (chips, crackers, nuts, cookies ...) might be okay.

You can either eat a late breakfast or buy food from the local vendors while on the tour.

sorry BruceMuzz, that's not true. confectionary is OK to take into Australia and you won't be arrested. you will be fined for taking undeclared food in though. but agree with others, best to leave the food on board.

Very true. As long as you declare factory packed crackers/candy you are fine. I have heard a NZ inspector yell at a family who did not declare a can of food. He said it was up to him to decide what was acceptable and what wasn't.

On a cruise around Australia, they did not want us to take open food ashore that was purchased in a previous port in Australia. But you could take unopened packaged things and declare them. An Australian in front of us asked specifically and showed his item to the inspector who explained the procedure.

Nope. We will freak out and throw the book at you if you try bringing an apple into the country but gum and mints are fine. I've done it numerous times through airport customs.

Wow, thank you, everyone, for setting me straight. ... I'm well aware that "they have food in Mexico," as one poster had it...

I was a little shocked at the harsh reply from that member as well. Sarcasm does not often sit well with people here, especially when asking an honest question like you did here. Glad you understand that you shouldn't do it. Have a great cruise! :)

Some people with diabetes, etc. need a little pick me up!:)

Yes but that shouldn't include sandwiches made from ingredients in the buffet line. Pre-packaged items like high fiber bars or peanut butter and crackers, and individual packs of nuts are of great help to a diabetic on shore. ;) You just need to be prepared, bringing these items in your suitcase from home.

• 2 weeks later...