Dream Turned Nightmare

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update. We raised this with ABTA and their response was that we have reached a deadlock. Option is court or arbitration. On one hand I'm stunned and have ZERO faith in the whole ABTA thing but then not at all surprised.

Just an update. We raised this with ABTA and their response was that we have reached a deadlock. Option is court or arbitration. On one hand I'm stunned and have ZERO faith in the whole ABTA thing but then not at all surprised.

Thanks for keeping us posted - but that's disappointing news. Hope it's not the end of the line for you.

they seem to have a real knack of shooting themselves in the foot..

It is really sad to see the good name of Thomson going from bad to worse.

I salute people who fight a big company like this and hopefully will see a proper outcome.

One time on a pando cruise, i had a really bad experience. The office would not deal with me, and kept fobbing me off. I was very upset and the time and googled the name of the boss and found out his direct phone number. It worked. I had a personal call and had a refund in my account within a month.

One sunny afternoon (day at sea) I had a child throw a lemon at me in the lido deck cafe. It hit me on the head, and I fell to the ground.

I was hurt and in a state of shock and really embarrassed.

The waiters were helpful.

One tried to give me CPR when it was not required,

one thought I had something stuck in my throat and tried to give me the heimleich manover thingy.

and another was just holding and stroking my hand.

Some pax thought I was under the influence, which was not true.

The staff in the Lido Cafe were wonderful,

Imagine to my suprise that i was brought to the medical centre and later charged a whopping 500 pounds for treatment.

I did try and get it removed at the pursers desk, but it fell on deaf ears.

Many phone calls and emails to pando , I had enough of dealing with amatures in the office.

I got it all back later after the call to the boss. He has now gone, but I have nice memories of him helping me.

Fight on, and tally ho i say !

Edited by P&O Lynn Knickers
Lynn likes lemonade still to this day

Arbitration and just making sure none of our friends and family book with them! The arbitration is £100 and meant to be independant, got too much on my plate for small claims court.

Small claims court location will be of your choosing.... This can be your home town and greatly to your advantage.

Sounds like you have a comprehensive file and will be able to present your evidence neatly and in a coherent timeline.

Cost of taking the claim can be added to your claim from Thomson... All very easy and can be done online.

I don't know the size of your claim but it assuming it is not several thousand £££ you have a good chance Thomson will look to settle out of court. For them to send someone to defend the action which will be a trained solicitor will again cost them money and they stand a good chance of losing the case anyway. Particularly if you wanted the hearing in Newcastle and they have their head office in London.

Certainly worth considering if you feel you have suffered loss of enjoyment from your holiday...

https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money/overview

Arbitration and just making sure none of our friends and family book with them! The arbitration is £100 and meant to be independant, got too much on my plate for small claims court.

And sadly, this is how the 'Big Boys' get away with it because they know they can.

I do feel for you. There do seem to be a lot of 'rumblings' at the moment on FB with problems on the Dream recently; it seems to have these 'phases' which is not good for the people who are on the ship at the time when things aren't good.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update for you. The saga continues! We have been at the pre arbitration station and again Thomson are refusing to budge. So it is going to arbitration now on the basis that they have contravened two ABTA guidelines, contradicted their own A-Z guide and also the health and safety aspect.

Most importantly they knowingly instigated pre-planned building works and never informed at booking or told us as any point prior to departure thus ruining our first holiday in five years by which point nothing can be done.

No doubt it'll be rejected and I'll be a further £100 worse off, but I'll not be able to sleep knowing I just let them get away with it. The worst part is going through ABTA you never get to see any explanation from Thomson and you can't do a FOI a request from ABTA so you can't see how many cases go in the favour of the complainant.

Just a quick update for you. The saga continues! We have been at the pre arbitration station and again Thomson are refusing to budge. So it is going to arbitration now on the basis that they have contravened two ABTA guidelines, contradicted their own A-Z guide and also the health and safety aspect.

Most importantly they knowingly instigated pre-planned building works and never informed at booking or told us as any point prior to departure thus ruining our first holiday in five years by which point nothing can be done.

No doubt it'll be rejected and I'll be a further £100 worse off, but I'll not be able to sleep knowing I just let them get away with it. The worst part is going through ABTA you never get to see any explanation from Thomson and you can't do a FOI a request from ABTA so you can't see how many cases go in the favour of the complainant.

Thank you for keeping us informed - difficult for you & I wish you all the luck with this. Please keep us posted.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry you are no further forward :mad:- I got £200 voucher as did a few other people I helped, via the directors office by emailing the CEO/MD direct - their department investiagate and answer to the CEO/MD - I never go through thoms after sales team, when they told me tough, and to take it further if I wanted to - so I did via the CEO/MD - they send ack email they telephone you, and also confirmation in telephone call that a cheq is in the post

They admitted to me in their response, and apoloigised for the "building works" taking place while on the dream - I don't like to leave my email address on here - feel free to contact me on Facebook under Mary Bethune or on thomson cruise/dream forum and I can send you the CEO/MD email addresses and a copy of the complaint I wrote, and my daughter worded it up better for me.

I complained/sent an email 3rd dec and the letter with my cheq was dated 9th Dec - they must hold onto it for a while as I got the letter dated 9th dec in the 2nd week of January

Hey guys. Just another update for you all. Well, went through the complaints procedure with Thomson, just fobbed off. Went to mediation with ABTA, Thomson denied all wrongdoing and we reached deadlock. Now we have submitted claim to arbitrator and Thomson have 28 days to counterclaim so just waiting for them to do that before it goes to arbitrators!

Stressful and disappointing end to our first proper holiday in five years! But determined to take it further. You can't just ruin a holiday and tell people 'tough luck' as it is just not on!

Still excited as we are planning out next cruise for this winter :-)

Thanks Mary I might send you a message on FB as I have a couple of questions.

Hey guys. Just another update for you all. Well, went through the complaints procedure with Thomson, just fobbed off. Went to mediation with ABTA, Thomson denied all wrongdoing and we reached deadlock. Now we have submitted claim to arbitrator and Thomson have 28 days to counterclaim so just waiting for them to do that before it goes to arbitrators!

Stressful and disappointing end to our first proper holiday in five years! But determined to take it further. You can't just ruin a holiday and tell people 'tough luck' as it is just not on!

Awful - particularly when others have had compensation :confused:

I know! That's what makes it even more infuriating! We all complain about the same thing yet the results of complaining are so inconsistent. It does seem that bypassing the after travel fob off team and going to the CEO is the best course of action!

Surely taking a copy of these pages, or showing them will prove they did agree there was a problem.

I agree - surely the fact that Thomson have in effect made payments to some is an admission that not all was well (although I'm sure they would come with legal wording to protect them 'without prejudice' or whatever it is). I wish you well FOD - this offends my sense of fair play.

P.s. re the varying level of payment - I have just had a thought - we once went on Celebration and missed two ports because the ship was 18 hours late leaving due to mechanical failure. Clearly their problem and everyone was compensated but not by the same amount. It was worked out on a set % of the price you paid for the holiday. Now the £100 & £140 figures are too 'rounded' to be a % but perhaps it has something to do with cabin category????? If not, it's yet another example of the annoying inconsistencies Thomson seem unable or unwilling to address. :confused:

Update on this one. Well they offered £150 cash at the pre arbitration stage. Together with a note to say they know how arbitration works, have lots of experience, can defend themselves and we don't have a chance of winning. Charming.

That doesn't scare me, however I'm sick of it dragging on and we are accepting. So just waiting for a cheque. Looking forward to putting this behind us and determined that TUI and co will not get another penny out if me so long as I shall live.

Absolutely disgraceful treatment. But thanks to everyone on here who has helped us out!

Edited by FOD1984

well not quite the result you were hoping for but a result nonetheless

well done for sticking with it, i think you've probably done the right thing (they will try to wear you down)

at least thoms will now have second thoughts before trying anything on again in the future, and hopefully in the future, people wont be put into the position of having their holidays potentially ruined

well done:cool:

Update on this one. Well they offered £150 cash at the pre arbitration stage. Together with a note to say they know how arbitration works, have lots of experience, can defend themselves and we don't have a chance of winning. Charming.

That doesn't scare me, however I'm sick of it dragging on and we are accepting. So just waiting for a cheque. Looking forward to putting this behind us and determined that TUI and co will not get another penny out if me so long as I shall live.

Absolutely disgraceful treatment. But thanks to everyone on here who has helped us out!

All in all this has been an unsavoury episode and has shown Thomson in a very bad light. I am glad you have got to the end of it and can put it behind you.

Having to go to the brink of arbitration and be threatened by them at that stage is disgusting.

Why they allowed things to go this far is beyond me. Other people on the same cruise were compensated. It is this inconsistency which is so wrong and shows the company up for their unfairness and downright bad practice.

In similar circumstances (which I doubt other companies would have inflicted on their customers in the first place) there would have been an across the board award for inconvenience without even having to ask.

To be honest, there are too many problems with Thomson these days for us to even contemplate booking with them. There are plenty better cruise companies out there that are charging less money.

I hope you have many happy holidays and cruises to come.

All in all this has been an unsavoury episode and has shown Thomson in a very bad light. I am glad you have got to the end of it and can put it behind you.

Having to go to the brink of arbitration and be threatened by them at that stage is disgusting.

Why they allowed things to go this far is beyond me. Other people on the same cruise were compensated. It is this inconsistency which is so wrong and shows the company up for their unfairness and downright bad practice.

In similar circumstances (which I doubt other companies would have inflicted on their customers in the first place) there would have been an across the board award for inconvenience without even having to ask.

To be honest, there are too many problems with Thomson these days for us to even contemplate booking with them. There are plenty better cruise companies out there that are charging less money.

I hope you have many happy holidays and cruises to come.

I, sadly, absolutely agree with your every word Eleanor. I think it is disgraceful the way FOD1984 has been treated.

Very different situation but when there was the fire outbreak on the Fred Olsen Boudicca recently, all passengers were flown home, given a full refund AND offered 50% discount off a future booking - that is what I call customer service - potential disaster turned PR winner!

Edited by Julessmiles

Well I'm really pleased to hear you have extracted something out of them at last - and cash too but it should never have been necessary. I can appreciate your decision not to travel with them again. Such bad PR! Well ...... go put that £150 down on another cruise .......whichever cruise line that may be (we know which it won't be!).......and enjoy! :)

P.S. We share your sentiments exactly Little Nell.

Edited by kruzseeka

I agree this definitely leaves a bad taste.

I'm glad you got something out of it FOD, but I do think everyone on the cruise should have been compensated whether they had complained or not.

P.S. FOD you don't have to leave us even if you book another company;).