Dream Turned Nightmare

Their reply:

Thank you for your email following our earlier response. We're sorry you are unhappy, our reply to you was written with a genuine desire to answer your questions carefully and honestly.

Thomson always gives careful consideration to every letter received and we are always prepared to consider again, if our customers are not satisfied with the response given. However, we genuinely feel our investigation and response to all the points you have raised, is fair and acknowledges the matters you were unhappy with. We're sorry your experience fell below your expectations in some instances, but there is nothing further we can offer in this regard.

Thomson cares a great deal for their customers and work towards meeting all their needs and I am sorry if you feel that this is not the case. I know that this is not the outcome you were hoping for, however this is our final position and I’m unable to offer any further assistance.

I know lots of companies say they’re grateful for your feedback, but we genuinely mean it. Where we can, we’ll act on your comments to make sure our holidays are the best they can possibly be.

Yours sincerely,

Edited by FOD1984

Sorry but I just don't think that's good enough Thomson! If it had been emergency work that would be a different matter but this was planned refurbishment work carried out with passengers on board and designed to reduce the length of time the ship had to be taken out of service. I.e. Cost cutting for them with no regard to the impact on their customers. They don't come out of this well. :(

Exactly. We made it perfectly clear in our complaint that we could understand maintenance to repair something or to keep something in working condition. But digging up a sports deck is not maintance. It's really terrible. It makes you wonder how bad things have to get before they give you any compensation. We are putting in a claim for the time our cabin was unusable and on our abta complaint have asked for a partial cash refund to be offered as we are not interested in vouchers as we won't be back on Thomson.

Received a very nice phone call from Thomsons today. Apologies given and vouchers to be sent within 28 days. We are happy with this and the personal touch. We will put them towards our next cruise or holiday, hopefully in the new year:)

Received a very nice phone call from Thomsons today. Apologies given and vouchers to be sent within 28 days. We are happy with this and the personal touch. We will put them towards our next cruise or holiday, hopefully in the new year:)

So pleased you have an acceptable resolution. Nice to be able to look forward to your next cruise - hopefully without any disruption. ;)

Their reply:

Thank you for your email following our earlier response. We're sorry you are unhappy, our reply to you was written with a genuine desire to answer your questions carefully and honestly.

Thomson always gives careful consideration to every letter received and we are always prepared to consider again, if our customers are not satisfied with the response given. However, we genuinely feel our investigation and response to all the points you have raised, is fair and acknowledges the matters you were unhappy with. We're sorry your experience fell below your expectations in some instances, but there is nothing further we can offer in this regard.

Thomson cares a great deal for their customers and work towards meeting all their needs and I am sorry if you feel that this is not the case. I know that this is not the outcome you were hoping for, however this is our final position and I’m unable to offer any further assistance.

I know lots of companies say they’re grateful for your feedback, but we genuinely mean it. Where we can, we’ll act on your comments to make sure our holidays are the best they can possibly be.

Yours sincerely,

Had this standard letter a few times. So patronising.

No one on FB has received money - only vouchers so far - just myself and another passenger -

FOD1984 if you are on FB and a member of the Dream forum - you can contact me under the name Mary beaton and I will send you on a copy of my complaint letter - which you can adapt and re send to the CEO and the MD - do not go through the after care team - I did once and they told me tough if I didn't like it I cant take my complaint further - so I did and got my £££ back within 24hrs of emailing the big boys that was in march this year- when I was mis -sold the drinks package

Good luck FOD 1984.

Though it does leave a rather bad taste when Thomsons would compensate some people and not others. I think a REALLY caring company would compensate the whole ship. Whether they had complained or not.

Come on Thomson show you mean what you say. This wasn't petty complaints and you will still make more money than if you had cancelled the week.

Thomson, or rather TUI, don't care, the UK cruisers keep booking.

Ok, I accept the reasons but it is becoming a poor product compared with the other cruise lines, otherwise why the complaints about sailing on a ship with "building works" and Thomson assuming their customers will just accept that?

Wake up and go elsewhere, you're the ones with the money that provides the profits.

Wake up and go elsewhere.

Can only speak for ourselves but we DO NOT want to go elsewhere = we just want a gesture from Thomsons to acknowledge that the work/noise/inconvenience we had to endure on that particular cruise was unacceptable.

People seem happy with them. We chatted to a lot of frequent cruisers, many of who had tried the big names and yet they still come back to Thomson time and time again. I can kind of see why. I would have been one of them.

But the way our holiday was really spoilt and Thomson's complete lack of regard for us and its 'tough luck' attitude is incomprehensible. Penny wise, pounds foolish though. We are only 30 - they could have had two customers for life. But I can honestly say I'll not use a Thomson product, be it a cruise, plane or hotel.

We put in the claim with ABTA. Had to come up with a figure for a cash refund. We were going to reject vouchers for the reason above and therefore are pressing for a cash refund. It'll probably get rejected anyway, but it's worth a try.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to hear that Paul. We are still waiting to hear back from ABTA. Got a feeling it's going to be another 'tough luck' style reply, but their mediation service is only £100 and we feel we have a very strong case. I'll have to keep you all informed.

Good luck. I think you have a good case too. As you said penny wise and pound foolish. They have such strengths that it grieves me to see the penny pinching in recent times - they seem to have a real knack of shooting themselves in the foot.

Yes please let us know the outcome.

Edited by kruzseeka