Dream Turned Nightmare

However, we certainly didn´t have any food problems - we only ate in Orions though - and thought the choice and presentation much improved on last year (we had both lunch and dinner in Orion and never had to choose Pork once).

:D:D:D Hoorah! Sorry quotes not working again - but so pleased to hear this campolady - wonder if it is to do with the new agency. I know Peel are given a contract to supply the entertainment and clearly that involves the training, employmentof staff as well as the staging, costumes and every thing to do with the entertainment package but I perhaps naively thought that the agencies just provided the personnel for the dining room, hotel side etc. and not providing whatever else goes with the catering, housekeeping. But logically perhaps they, like Peel are given a budget to deliver the whole shooting match - staff and materials i.e food or hotel requirements and if that's the case a change of agency may well herald a new era of food quality and service depending on how well the company manage their budgets. Does anyone know how it works? Off to check out some Thomson itineraries now! :D;)

I think you may be right kruzseeka, that the relevant agencies are given a budget for the whole package, but this in my mind could be a very dangerous thing, as there isn't neccesarily a quality control over the final product, such as the food offerings, which could very easily allow agencies to cost cut to maximise their profits.

I think you may be right kruzseeka, that the relevant agencies are given a budget for the whole package, but this in my mind could be a very dangerous thing, as there isn't neccesarily a quality control over the final product, such as the food offerings, which could very easily allow agencies to cost cut to maximise their profits.

That's what's got me thinking Baggers. We've had reports about a decline in food on most of the ships as compared with say, a couple of years ago. Perhaps what you suggest is what's happened - and possibly why Thomson awarded the contracts to a different company. Just speculating here but would like to understand how it's all managed.

That's what's got me thinking Baggers. We've had reports about a decline in food on most of the ships as compared with say, a couple of years ago. Perhaps what you suggest is what's happened - and possibly why Thomson awarded the contracts to a different company. Just speculating here but would like to understand how it's all managed.

I don't know how to send a private message on these forums to you kruzseeka as there is something to add to the above, but its not something I want to air on a public forum.

I don't know how to send a private message on these forums to you kruzseeka as there is something to add to the above, but its not something I want to air on a public forum.

That's fine Baggers. I didn't really think that you might be aware of details which might be inappropriate to air. So no probs - just my natural inclination to try out understand how things work. Pity don't know about PM either Baggers.

That's fine Baggers. I didn't really think that you might be aware of details which might be inappropriate to air. So no probs - just my natural inclination to try out understand how things work. Pity don't know about PM either Baggers.

Apparently private messages are turned off on here, which sort of contradicts why i have received some from Admin since I joined!

Anyway, so I can't send you a PM, but it was about a first hand experience which is connected to what we've been talking about on here, but like I say the details of which I don't mind you knowing, but didn't want it on an open forum :(

We join the TA in Gran Canaria on Sat 6th and do not expect there to be any major work being carried out but if there is some minor refurbishment taking place then we will have to try and make the best of it.

Hope to see some of you on board !!

You may be able to spot us - I will be the chap with the wife that has a completely different outfit on every night as we seem to have 16 evening dresses ready to take whereas I will be letting the show down !!

We join the TA in Gran Canaria on Sat 6th and do not expect there to be any major work being carried out but if there is some minor refurbishment taking place then we will have to try and make the best of it.

Hope to see some of you on board !!

You may be able to spot us - I will be the chap with the wife that has a completely different outfit on every night as we seem to have 16 evening dresses ready to take whereas I will be letting the show down !!

I'm quite sure Mrs HT will look stunning in her outfits but don't be fooled folks - Mr HT cuts quite a dash himself! ;)

This time last year we were probably just approaching our first Caribbean Island on the TA. Happy memories :) Hope you both have a fab trip - I'll be thinking of you. ;)

Indeed, I agree. Some minor work taking place would be acceptable, but not any major work, and I was told the refurbishments would be finished by the time it comes out of dock.

However, something that slightly concerns me is that when the Celebration was in wet dock earlier in November, pictures were being put up by Thomson on their facebook page at various stages of the work. So far, even considering it's been there since Thursday night, zip, nowt, nada.

Indeed, I agree. Some minor work taking place would be acceptable, but not any major work, and I was told the refurbishments would be finished by the time it comes out of dock.

However, something that slightly concerns me is that when the Celebration was in wet dock earlier in November, pictures were being put up by Thomson on their facebook page at various stages of the work. So far, even considering it's been there since Thursday night, zip, nowt, nada.

I do hope the disruptive work is finished for you all off on the TA soon. If it's unobtrusive then I'm sure you will be fine. It would certainly be really bad if Thomson allowed such work to carry on especially for the 5 days or so you are crossing the Atlantic as you have no option of getting off for a bit to get away from it. Surely they can't let that can't happen - hopefully the comments on here with universal support from your fellow Thomson cruisers (hopefully they're still reading!) and complaints they will have received from those on the previous trip will give them pause for thought! Good luck!

We'll definitely be keen to hear from you and get up-dates - find some free WiFi in one of those lovely Caribbean Islands please and let us know. Wishing you a great time! :)

• 2 weeks later...

What's the latest on Dream? Where is she?

I've seen a few posts regarding work still being done, no running water, dirty cabins with bins still full of rubbish and lots of noise particularly from the mezzanine in Broadway. These were posted on 07/12/14 on their FB page and from the Malaga area.

After the disaster out 20/11/14 Iberian Escapade cruise there was certainly no rubbish or tooling left in deck eight corridors, so it would suggest this is from a separate cruise. What is Her schedule for now?

Edited by FOD1984

I've seen a few posts regarding work still being done, no running water, dirty cabins with bins still full of rubbish and lots of noise particularly from the mezzanine in Broadway. These were posted on 07/12/14 on their FB page and from the Malaga area.

After the disaster out 20/11/14 Iberian Escapade cruise there was certainly no rubbish or tooling left in deck eight corridors, so it would suggest this is from a separate cruise. What is Her schedule for now?

Somewhere mid-atlantic. due in San Sebastian Sunday lunchtime.

Thanks for that update.

I really hope the works haven't continued on the TATL crossing. I can't quite figure it out from the posts I saw on facebook.

I certainly don't recognise the two people posting so I can only assume it was a cruise after she had been in wet dock. There have been no updates for four days and they said they have written to the CEO a already so I'm really not sure.

It will be interesting to see how the current lot are fairing. I'm sure they will update on their return.

She is at sea now crossing the Atlantic to the Caribbean. She picked up passengers in Lanzarote, Tenerife and Gran Canaria. On the 7th December she was in La Gomera

http://www.cruisetimetables.com/cruisesonthomsondream-04dec2014.html

I have just returned from a Canaries cruise on the Majesty and although the weather was poor and the seas rough have only good things to say about Majesty - having sailed on all Thomsons current ships this is my second favourite ship now after Celebration ( I like the layout best). Food - the food on Spirit and Majesty is far superior to Celebration and Dream and this must be because Louis lines are in charge. On our first sailing with Dream in 2011 I complained on this forum about the food and the tasteless desserts and disgusting ice cream but no one seemed to agree and from what I have read it would seem to have got worse. We are sailing on her end of Jan and the TA return in April and I hope that the new co in charge of the food make some great improvements.

I'm so sorry for all of you suffering from disruptions as it would seem Thomson are not just maintaining the ship but refurbishing it whilst passengers are on board - perhaps you should all contact Angela Rippon for the programme 'holidays from hell' you would get compensation if it was a hotel.

I could see the rear deck of Dream from the Majesty and the the port side was closed off round the pool and all the wicker tables and chairs had disappeared - for good I hope as they took up valuable sunbathing space around the aft pool

Selfishly I hope all the builders are returning home for Christmas not to return!!

FOD1984 - sorry you had a less than brilliant time. We are early 30s and had our first cruise last year on the NCL Epic - I can highly recommend it, it's very modern, twice the size of a Thomson ship, and very very lively with loads of bars and restaurants.

Vitalsign - hello, we were on there too - we were really impressed with the Majesty and would go again. You are right, there were a few rough days, but luckily a few nice days made up for it. Plus the entertainments team were fab. Glad you enjoyed it too!

A ship marketable only to a very small demographic, which seems eager to accept it.

It seems Thomson's has found one. One is reminded of that scene in Fawlty Towers, when the two long-suffering old ladies could find nothing but compliments for the service, when asked by Basil.

Perhaps Thomsons could add the catchy phrase 'Fawlty Cruises' to its logo - with Manuel as the Hotel Manager and Basil as the Captain?

A ship marketable only to a very small demographic, which seems eager to accept it.

It seems Thomson's has found one. One is reminded of that scene in Fawlty Towers, when the two long-suffering old ladies could find nothing but compliments for the service, when asked by Basil.

Perhaps Thomsons could add the catchy phrase 'Fawlty Cruises' to its logo - with Manuel as the Hotel Manager and Basil as the Captain?

If you think it's such a two bit operation with customers whom you appear to hold in such low esteem, I am at a loss to understand why you keep popping up on this forum making the same point time and time again.

Hi all, we were on the Iberian Escapade cruise Nov 20th-27th, 2014.

I sent off our complaint regarding work being done but and had an e mail saying they would look at our complaint properly within 14 days. We are still waiting.

:confused:

Hi all, we were on the Iberian Escapade cruise Nov 20th-27th, 2014.

I sent off our complaint regarding work being done but and had an e mail saying they would look at our complaint properly within 14 days. We are still waiting.

:confused:

Our reply said 28 days! Perhaps they are adding an extra fortnight to allow for the high number of complaints.

Edited by campolady

We received the first reply within hours of the first complaint. When we contested the fact that tearing up a sports deck and remodelling areas of ship is not maintenance we were told 28 days. We copied in the CEO on the reply too but does not seem to have made a bit difference.

Meow

F i g h t ......

Not really .....that isn't the spirit of this forum at all and certainly not my intention - much preferring reasoned argument delivered in a non-contentious way - I hope! I trust regulars on here who know me well would say that it certainly isn't my style to be catty or look for fights!!! (This isn't the P&O forum - we generally get on very well on here!)

I just find it very puzzling as to why someone who has never travelled on a Thomson ship should regularly come on this forum and make disparaging comments about the ships - granted they are old but many of us in the past have given long and detailed reasons for why we might actually like travelling with Thomson and that other features compensate.

Also what I find more offensive is that these explanations are ignored and what's more the tone of the comments about the passengers infers we are lacking in discrimination or taste, prepared to put up with any old standards (Fawlty Towers customers we are not!) or know no better. This smacks of side-swipes at those of us who do travel with Thomson. Make no mistake - we are quite capable of looking at other deals - many of us have tried other crusielines too but I do object to the patronising air of these comments.

My apologies to mainelycruising if I misjudge your post but frankly it does come over as condescending.

Edited by kruzseeka

Not really .....that isn't the spirit of this forum at all and certainly not my intention - much preferring reasoned argument delivered in a non-contentious way - I hope! I trust regulars on here who know me well would say that it certainly isn't my style to be catty or look for fights!!! (This isn't the P&O forum - we generally get on very well on here!)

Well said Kruzseeka. I know you are usually very fair and friendly and I know it takes a lot to annoy you :rolleyes::D

We all know Thomson have their faults, but having been on other lines, as you and I have, we have seen that all ships have their good and bad points. As you know I have a friend who calls Thomson "Cattle Boats" but of course he has never been on them :rolleyes:

Criticism is OK if it is constructive and some of the posts on here are far from that, but as you say mainly from people who have never been on Thomson. ;)

We have been cruising with Thomson since 1989 - before they had their own ships where they were allocated a number of cabins multi-lingual ships.

In the last 10 years our cruising holidays have increased dramatically and this year we have done three (1 x 4 weeks, 2 x 2 weeks). DH was horrified when he suddenly realised we were having 8 weeks holiday but he loved every minute. We are already booked for next year and 2016.:D

Also, looking back over previous invoices, despite all the moans about prices, we have found we are still paying much the same 25 years on.

Their product/extra charges may leave a little to be desired at times but, on the whole, we are happy to continue with them.:)