Suggestions on touring Kyoto

4774Papa

Happy to do so. I will just forward what I sent drfun but be warned there is a lot of reading. I also sent her my daily emails home as I dont keep a diary tried many times but just doesnt happen. I am not a big city person so cant give u much on tokyo. We prefer to get out of the cities but kyoto hiroshima nara nikko are must sees for us.

I

Hi Tara,

I am sailing with you on an upcoming cruise to Singapore. I am also sailing from Tokyo in Sept on Diamond Princess. Having 9 days in Japan before cruising home. I would love if you could send me your info on Japan to me as well. My email is jean_warren at westnet dot com dot au

Thanks

Jean

Hi Tara,

I am sailing with you on an upcoming cruise to Singapore. I am also sailing from Tokyo in Sept on Diamond Princess. Having 9 days in Japan before cruising home. I would love if you could send me your info on Japan to me as well. My email is jean_warren at westnet dot com dot au

Thanks

Jean

Hello Jean

I'm not on your cruise but if it's any help or interest, from a 12 day tour of Japanses Gardens and Temples I made a set of videos covering what I did each day. I was based in Kyoto and Tokyo but we got around quite a bit (Hiroshima, Miyajima, Nara, Kamakura, Mount Fuji etc). The link to them all is here

All the best, Tony

Hello Jean

I'm not on your cruise but if it's any help or interest, from a 12 day tour of Japanses Gardens and Temples I made a set of videos covering what I did each day. I was based in Kyoto and Tokyo but we got around quite a bit (Hiroshima, Miyajima, Nara, Kamakura, Mount Fuji etc). The link to them all is here

All the best, Tony

Thanks Tony I will check it out.

Hello Jean

All the best, Tony

Hi Tony,

I have just watched it all and I no longer need to go to Japan....lol. I can only say it was fantastic, enjoyable and very informative. How did you remember all the details?. We will be DIY so probably not be able to do as much as yourself. But it looks like we may have to do a return visit to Japan. I am really excited now 😀. Could you send me the name of the tour company you used my email address is quoted in previous post.

Thank you

Jean

Hi Jean,

happy to send to you but they are just my daily emails home to hubby.

This trip we went to more of the non tourist places, having done all the usual tourist places previously, other than my favourite places of nara, Hiroshima or a different reason and Kyoto. I will send to you what I have sent to the others on cc.

Unfortunately I have had a few computers since the days when I first went to japan and somewhere along the way have lost the emails from my first few trips.

Looking forward to sailing with you on rhapsody and happy to talk japan on those 16 days, just ask away.

Kyoto was good, but a little disappointing to me. I guess I expected a little more. Nara Deer Park was fantastic - and way more than tame deer. A complex with a huge long line of stone lanterns and then temples. The Todaiji temple, world's largest wooden building, is nearby. When I first saw it from a viewing distance, it brought tears to my eyes, it was so impressive. Those are well worth seeing, in my opinion.

Paluni - I feel the same way about nara, if I had to choose it would win over Kyoto, though the golden pavilion is pretty impressive.

the only time I got lost in japan was in nara where one of the deer stole my map right out of my hands as I was looking at it.

we always include nara on any japan trip, it is easy to get around, not over crowded and more compact when it comes to the shrines, temples etc.

Hi Jean,

happy to send to you but they are just my daily emails home to hubby.

This trip we went to more of the non tourist places, having done all the usual tourist places previously, other than my favourite places of nara, Hiroshima or a different reason and Kyoto. I will send to you what I have sent to the others on cc.

Unfortunately I have had a few computers since the days when I first went to japan and somewhere along the way have lost the emails from my first few trips.

Looking forward to sailing with you on rhapsody and happy to talk japan on those 16 days, just ask away.

Thanks Tara

I have received your emails I will be busy reading through them ☺.

This is my first time to Japan flying into Haneda AP 28 Aug am.

Plan so far is .....

28 Tokyo

29 Tokyo

30 Tokyo

31 day trip Hakone

1 day trip Kamakura & Enoshima

2 day trip Nikko

3 Kyoto

4 Kyoto

5 Kyoto - Yokohama

6 Yokohama - Cruise

Any comments welcome.

Jean

Cornishpastryman1 - I have just sat through all your wonderful recording of your Japan tour.

Thank you so much for sharing it.

Its quite a eye opener for those who think Japan is wall to wall people, your filming shows just how quite and empty those parks can be. Loved to sound of the birds in the background.

Wombat 13 - look good but can you squeeze in Hiroshima? and Miyajima?

Personally I would sacrifice a day in Kyoto to go to these places, if you have a rail pass you can do it in a day from Kyoto if you don't want to pack up and move, however if you haven't already booked accommodation I would try to spend a night in Hiroshima. After the crowds have left for the day it is lovely wandering around Miyajima. More time in Tokyo than I would spend but I am not a city person. Kyoto to Hiroshima in a day would be a very long day but worth it in my opinion.

The do not miss of Japan I would say are Hiroshima, Miyajima, Nikko, Mt Fuji and Nara, plus Kyoto and Tokyo just because everyone goes to these places when visiting Japan.

Edited by Tara Jane

Wombat 13 - look good but can you squeeze in Hiroshima? and Miyajima?

Personally I would sacrifice a day in Kyoto to go to these places, if you have a rail pass you can do it in a day from Kyoto if you don't want to pack up and move, however if you haven't already booked accommodation I would try to spend a night in Hiroshima. After the crowds have left for the day it is lovely wandering around Miyajima. More time in Tokyo than I would spend but I am not a city person. Kyoto to Hiroshima in a day would be a very long day but worth it in my opinion.

The do not miss of Japan I would say are Hiroshima, Miyajima, Nikko, Mt Fuji and Nara, plus Kyoto and Tokyo just because everyone goes to these places when visiting Japan.

What would you suggest if I try to include the do not miss places.

Cornishpastryman1 - I have just sat through all your wonderful recording of your Japan tour.

Thank you so much for sharing it.

Its quite a eye opener for those who think Japan is wall to wall people, your filming shows just how quite and empty those parks can be. Loved to sound of the birds in the background.

Hi Tara Jane

Thank you for your very kind words - you watched them all ? Wow, strike a medal for that woman :)

I always try and make one of everywhere I go, and usually it’s quite simple. However these I found so difficult, simply because the culture was so different to anything else I’d encountered, and I was so much less knowledgable about any of the places. If I was dropped into the Colosseum, or the Parthenon, or Berlin I/we would have at a basic idea of what they were about but…Ishiyamadera Temple, Nara, Kamakura etc ??? No chance ! Only at Hiroshima and Fuiji did the name mean anything at all. So I had to do a lot of research when I came back - I didn’t know any of the details while I was there, beyond what I could glean from the tourist leaflets on site, which I brought home with me. I must have made errors of fact in interpretation but at least I now have some appreciation of Japanese culture - and food ! All the best, Tony

You did a wonderful job, so many reminders for me of my time in Japan and you captured so many practical things like inside the shinkansen and showing how much English is displayed, indicator of how user friendly it is.

I had a laugh at the shoes all lined up outside one of the temples, not sure which one, might have been on miyajima but I have always thought what a great way to get a new pair of shoes. Size might be an issue but fortunately my shoes were always where I had left them. You captured so well the Japanese country and people. Am thinking its time I went back to get another Japanese fix, we can get some pretty good flights from Australia.

You did a wonderful job, so many reminders for me of my time in Japan and you captured so many practical things like inside the shinkansen and showing how much English is displayed, indicator of how user friendly it is.

I had a laugh at the shoes all lined up outside one of the temples, not sure which one, might have been on miyajima but I have always thought what a great way to get a new pair of shoes. Size might be an issue but fortunately my shoes were always where I had left them. You captured so well the Japanese country and people. Am thinking its time I went back to get another Japanese fix, we can get some pretty good flights from Australia.

I agree that was one of things I noticed the shinkansens and English signs everywhere. Makes me feel more confident being a first timer. Also on the shinkansen it said Kyoto to Tokyo stopping at shin Yokohama. I thought I would have to go back to Tokyo and then make my way to Yokohama. The other thing is I don't think this particular shinkansen is covered by the JR pass. Maybe you might know Tara Jane.

Jean

Most of the shinkansen are covered by the JR pass, there is one, I think it was the Nozomi but mr google will answer for you which isn't covered by JR pass. however the time difference between the JR ok to use and the JR cant use is only a few minutes. We did all our bookings by checking timetables on line and as with everything in japan the trains are spot on time. Not having cruised in japan I cant help in regard to the port, however I will make the point the shin yokohama is a different station to yokohama. that is the case all over japan, the shin stands for shinkansen. if you are on the shinkansen - ie bullet train then your stations will be shin ..............

some of the cities the shin station and other station are side by side so it isn't noticeable. shin yokohama is a big station and by memory which I warn you isn't great, that all the shinkansen stop there. I will have a look and see if I can fine the timetable for you and email.

Thanks Tara. Found out it is the Nozomi not covered by JR which I think in the video this one was. I have the details how to get to Yokohama from Tokyo. Just haven't found a quick way from Kyoto to Yokohama. Will keep on looking.

Most of the shinkansen are covered by the JR pass, there is one, I think it was the Nozomi but mr google will answer for you which isn't covered by JR pass. however the time difference between the JR ok to use and the JR cant use is only a few minutes. We did all our bookings by checking timetables on line and as with everything in japan the trains are spot on time. Not having cruised in japan I cant help in regard to the port, however I will make the point the shin yokohama is a different station to yokohama. that is the case all over japan, the shin stands for shinkansen. if you are on the shinkansen - ie bullet train then your stations will be shin ..............

some of the cities the shin station and other station are side by side so it isn't noticeable. shin yokohama is a big station and by memory which I warn you isn't great, that all the shinkansen stop there. I will have a look and see if I can fine the timetable for you and email.

Tara Jane,

Not quite correct.

Shin kan sen translates as "New Trunk Line"

The character used for Shin translates literally as "new"

Shin Yokohama Station does not translate as the Shinkansen Yokohama Station, but merely the "New Yokohama Station" - as opposed to the Old Yokohama Station a few kilomenters away.

There are many new (Shin) train stations in Japan that DO NOT have any bullet train service.

There are many old train stations in Japan (without the word Shin in their titles) that DO have Shinkansen service.

The best example would be Tokyo Station, where most of the bullet trains start and end their day. There is no Shin Tokyo Station - just the old one.

• 1 month later...

Back from our fabulous 31-day Japan trip (one week in Tokyo and one week in Osaka before boarding the Volendam at Kobe for the 17-day Japan and trans-Pacific crossing to Vancouver) with countless happy memories and photos--and want to again thank everyone on this thread for sharing great suggestions!

DH Dave and I loved the people and places of Japan--and cannot wait to return!

One of the reasons we had such a marvelous time is thanks to THIS THREAD, where I learned about Yosuke of Discover Japan Tours--so my thanks to the posters above, some of whom I've emailed already! :D

He took care of our private limo transfer from Tokyo's Narita Airport to our Tokyo hotel and personally conducted several outstanding customized day-tours for us in Tokyo by public transportation and to surrounding areas in his lovely van (which I've detailed on the "Things to do in Tokyo thread).

We'd also booked a day-tour with him to Mt. Fuji--but there were heavy rains and he actually contacted us early that morning to tell us we'd not get to see much of anything AND, therefore, he immediately refunded our entire payment! This rarely happens in the tour business, and we were deeply impressed by his honesty and thoughtfulness.

Prior to our arrival, my husband and I had Skyped and emailed with him to customize our tours and get advice about many things (including the best way to maximize our JR Green Car Pass)--and he always followed up quickly and thoroughly (and patiently).

We feel as we now have a delightful friend as well as first-rate guide in Japan! (He also conducts tours in Kyoto, but he was already booked for our Osaka week when we learned about him.)

Let me know if you have any questions about our time in Japan or our cruise. (Below, I've added a separate post about our day trip from Osaka to Kyoto.)

Mary-Lou

As noted in my post right above this one, DH Dave and I took a day-trip to Kyoto from Osaka (where we stayed at the St. Regis for a week prior to our trans-Pacific cruise from Kobe to Vancouver).

We had a 7-day JR Pass for the first-class Green Car (well worth it!), so we took the subway (from the major station conveniently located in the same block as our Osaka hotel) to Shin-Osaka to get our reserved Green Car seats and board the bullet train to Kyoto, to join another couple from our roll call who'd arranged a day of private touring with a Tours By Locals guide. (BTW: These guides are not the free/volunteers; they are licensed independent contractors with this interesting Canadian company that offers tours world-wide. I'd not heard about them until our roll call friends booked this day-tour for the four of us. It's an interesting concept, as you get to pick your tours and your guides, but you pay the company in your local currency.)

Our Kyoto tour guide was excellent--and as our friends had already spent several days in Kyoto (and also visited a few years ago also)--AND DH Dave and I had been touring for nearly two weeks, we opted for enjoying a leisurely day with longer visits at fewer venues. ;)

We spend a lovely morning at Kyoto's Tenryu-ji Temple--enjoying the grounds, which were in full bloom on this bright and sunny day. Loved the "silent waterfall" (leaves) at the tranquil lake and the walkways and flowers and bamboo path. Then the five of us had a magnificent ZEN vegan multi-course lunch at the temple's Shigetsu. We each had our own little table with very short legs and matching chairs with very short legs. (I am total vegan, so it was a fabulous delicious treat for me!) After lunch, we took the trolley to Ryoan-ji Temple to tour the peaceful grounds and study the famous zen rock garden. Before returning to our Osaka hotel, we explored the stunning modern architecture of the Kyoto JR station (with soaring glass ceilings) and had drinks with our friends near the top with great city views. Then we hopped the bullet train for the short ride back to Osaka.

We chose Osaka as our base for our second week, because we had a local friend there with whom we spent two glorious days AND we'd planned several day-trips to other cities, including a full-day customized tour of Hiroshima and Miyajima (also using a Tours by Locals guide--Mie T., who was excellent) AND my husband wanted to try Kobe beef (now he is spoiled forever). Please feel free to ask me for any info about our Osaka stay (or our Tokyo stay or our cruise).

Mary-Lou

• 1 year later...
Thanks Tara. Found out it is the Nozomi not covered by JR which I think in the video this one was. I have the details how to get to Yokohama from Tokyo. Just haven't found a quick way from Kyoto to Yokohama. Will keep on looking.

Did you figure this out?

Which stations did you use?

I'm looking at doing the same thing with the JR Pass from Kyoto to Yokohama; maybe staying at the Intercontinental Grand, then to the ship the next day.

Any help is appreciated.

dog:)