Help There's going to be 6 ships in Grand Cayman

Yumagal

We will be visiting Grand Cayman and will be one of six ships with over 17,000 passengers descending on the island. We have never been there before and would love to see some of the island but with that many people I'm wondering if we should just stay on the ship? Any suggestions on what to do if we do venture off the ship. Our travel companions would like to go to a beach bar but none of us like big crowds.

We will be visiting Grand Cayman and will be one of six ships with over 17,000 passengers descending on the island. We have never been there before and would love to see some of the island but with that many people I'm wondering if we should just stay on the ship? Any suggestions on what to do if we do venture off the ship. Our travel companions would like to go to a beach bar but none of us like big crowds.

Because Grand cayman is a tender port probably only about 10,000 of the 17000 will actually go ashore.

Grand Cayman is a wonderful port and quite different from some of the poorer islands. My suggestion is to take one of the ship's excursions. You will be sent to the tender boats on schedule and then you can come back to the ship as you please after the tour. My favorite tour is stingray city but that doesn't appeal to everyone. If you don't want to take a ship's tour you could take your chances and get off the ship when you can, and either book a tour once on shore or take a taxi to 7 mile beach or do both. With that many people on shore you might have trouble getting something thus my suggestion on the ships's tour. Either way it's a lovely port and a lovely beach. I know we found a nice bar to sit and relax but I can't say where. There's lots to see and there's no one trying to sell you trinkets here.

get in a taxi and ask them to take you to My Bar at Sunset House

bring your snorkel stuff if so inclined

few cruise folks will go SO FAR as Sunset

it is ALMOST a mile away from the tender landing

100_0129_zps1e515da8.jpg

sunsethouse_zps9083c174.jpg

Edited by Capt_BJ

get in a taxi and ask them to take you to My Bar at Sunset House

bring your snorkel stuff if so inclined

few cruise folks will go SO FAR as Sunset

it is ALMOST a mile away from the tender landing

100_0129_zps1e515da8.jpg

sunsethouse_zps9083c174.jpg

I AGREE 100%. Do this. If you want a beach bar (OK it's waterfront, although there is no sand, it's still the same concept, less the sand). Great place to spend the day with friends. Relaxing, great snorkeling if you want to get into the water, a pool/shower to use if you are hanging out there all day. Great food, excellent atmosphere, and best of all, like BJ said, VERY few cruise tourists. You can walk from the tender pier. It's very easy to find.

• 1 month later...
Do they rent snorkel equip? Cost? Need beach shoes for water.? Okay for kids...2 and 5? Rough prices for lunch snd drinks? Thx...it sounds delightful.

Yes they rent snorkel gear. NOT great swimming for kids. No beach. There is the "natural pool" in which they can swim, but, yes to water shoes. The entire side of the resort facing the water is "iron shore" or coral, so while there are sidewalks and paths, I'd recommend shoes of some sort.

I would not recommend this resort for a 2 and a 5 year old unless they are happy just hanging out in the water (it's about 4 feet deep in the natural pool) with Mom or Dad, or just sitting at the bar/restaurant looking at the ocean. Not much for kids to do here at all.

There is a regular swimming pool, and if the resort is not crowded they usually don't care if you use it, but it's just a plain pool, not terribly kid-friendly either. This is a dive resort that caters to divers and not families with small kids. They are welcome there, just not too much for them to do.

We were at Grand Cayman in October and there were 6 cruise ships there. Town got crowded quickly. We did a Princess Excursion to a little beach/bar on 7 Mile, The Tiki Bar. It was alright. Coming back into Georgetown I couldn't believe the line of cruisers waiting to get back on the tenders to their ships... must have been 3/4 mile long. The Princess tenders were on the other side of the little harbor with no wait.

Beautiful place, would love to go back again.

Have fun.

Edited by Marknga