Another lie from Celebrity, re: Silhouette

rucruisn2

Sudden Cancellation

Celebrity Cruises has canceled its January 4, 2015 Eastern Caribbean sailing of Celebrity Silhouette so the vessel can go into dry dock for maintenance, Cruise Critic members report. Passengers were given a full refund of their cruise fare, or offered a chance to rebook on Celebrity Reflection and other Silhouette sailings, along with $200 or $400 onboard credit, depending on cabin category. In addition, Celebrity is paying $200 to reimburse for flights ($300 for international air).

Steve,

This was scheduled a long time ago, when the azipod problems surfaced. But of course Celebrity told me on the phone today, (Laurel in Mr. Bayley's office) that this is just a routine dry dock and there are no problems with the engines.

Yes Mr. Celebrity.... Laurel in Mr. Bayley's office.

Keep digging yourselves deeper in it.

Hi all,

Apologies for hopping into this post a little late. We started researching this issue as soon as we heard that Silhouette was missing San Juan.

This is what we discovered:

At no time did we refer to this as a weather issue, or an issue with the port of San Juan. From the letter that we shared with guests, "Celebrity Silhouette is currently experiencing a minor restriction on her top speed. Regrettably, as a result of our reduced speed, it will be necessary to bypass San Juan, Puerto Rico, on your sailing. Instead, Celebrity Silhouette will spend the day at sea. The remainder of your itinerary will remain unchanged. We would like to assure you that the small restriction on the top speed has no impact on other parts of our operation."

Just want to make sure everyone was on the same page and to see if there was anything else that we can clear up, or assist with.

I think this is a very nice letter and I am happy to see that someone from Celebrity reads these posts. However, don't you think that $100 on board credit is a little slim for missing 1 of the 3 ports offered on this sailing? I hope once my friends are on board they will be treated royally by everyone, because right now they are disappointed I suggested this cruise line for them....they wanted to go on Royal Caribbean! :(

I think this is a very nice letter and I am happy to see that someone from Celebrity reads these posts. However, don't you think that $100 on board credit is a little slim for missing 1 of the 3 ports offered on this sailing? I hope once my friends are on board they will be treated royally by everyone, because right now they are disappointed I suggested this cruise line for them....they wanted to go on Royal Caribbean! :(

I have not seen anything confirming I will be getting $100 OBC next week. However I would be satisfied with $100. I don't think it is slim. Having been on many cruises and so having ports missed from time to time the most I ever got was poert charges. The port call in this case was from 3pm to 9pm in the evening at San Juan. It is the lessor port of the three. I know from experience, been there many times. I will miss the Christmas decorations out this time of year but not really losing much at all without this port call . As for going on Royal Caribbean as I pointed out to someone on my roll call who did switch to Royal Caribbean, they are owned by the sae company. If this had happened on Royal Caribbean the same corperate polices would apply.

Carnival 1 port missed in 10 cruises

Royal 1 missed in 8

Celebrity 0 missed in 7 cruises.

Guess we have been lucky.

We've been lucky too.

Princess 1 missed in 2

Norwegian 0 missed in 1

Celebrity 1 missed in 10 cruises (many 14 day) - and it was on Summit in 2014

They may have problems with communication but I think they do the best for their passengers.

We've been lucky too.

Princess 1 missed in 2

Norwegian 0 missed in 1

Celebrity 1 missed in 10 cruises (many 14 day) - and it was on Summit in 2014

They may have problems with communication but I think they do the best for their passengers.

I think the communication issue is the real one. As I said in other posts the missed port is meh. But while I have received 12 notifications about what time to arrive in the last few days for my 12/7 sailing I have not received any about missing San Juan. I called my travel agent and she did not receive anything either. If I was not on Cruise Critic I would be arriving at the ship without knowing about it. Come on Celebrity, 12 notifications to me this week about boarding by my deck, by text, email and voicemail, and none about the change in itinerary! That is unacceptable!

I have not seen anything confirming I will be getting $100 OBC next week. However I would be satisfied with $100. I don't think it is slim. Having been on many cruises and so having ports missed from time to time the most I ever got was poert charges. The port call in this case was from 3pm to 9pm in the evening at San Juan. It is the lessor port of the three. I know from experience, been there many times. I will miss the Christmas decorations out this time of year but not really losing much at all without this port call . As for going on Royal Caribbean as I pointed out to someone on my roll call who did switch to Royal Caribbean, they are owned by the sae company. If this had happened on Royal Caribbean the same corperate polices would apply.

We can confirm that guests will be receiving at least $100 OBC, plus $25 for each third and fourth guest.

I think the communication issue is the real one. As I said in other posts the missed port is meh. But while I have received 12 notifications about what time to arrive in the last few days for my 12/7 sailing I have not received any about missing San Juan. I called my travel agent and she did not receive anything either. If I was not on Cruise Critic I would be arriving at the ship without knowing about it. Come on Celebrity, 12 notifications to me this week about boarding by my deck, by text, email and voicemail, and none about the change in itinerary! That is unacceptable!

First, I am not trying to be the south end of a north bound donkey:D

But with all the choices out there I don't understand why you keep sailing with a line that " is unacceptable" ?

We are on Sunday's sailing of Silhouette. Just called Celebrity to verify rumor about Puerto Rico being cancelled as a port stop. Yes, we are not stopping in San Juan, but they said it was "due to a problem in the port of San Juan"! Well, we all know it's due to the engine problems. We will get $100 OBC, Suites will get $200.

Why can't they just be honest?

Be glad for the onboard credit; all we got back was port taxes last week. I would have been happy if they had offered us one or 2 free drinks or an onboard credit for a future cruise, but we got nothing but refunded port taxes.

However I am able to live with that. What I was unhappy about was the mediocre food in the main dining room and hiked up prices of everything that is extra. I was shocked at the cost of specialties outside of the Bistro and the Porch. I feel like now they offer the $210 ultimate specialty dinner for the week upgrade per person, that they expect you to buy that.

This was my 5th Celebrity cruise and I did not feel this way about other 4. My 4th and 5th Celebrity cruises were in June 2012 and January 2013, so fairly recent. I do think it is the Celebrity 123 program. It seems since they give us a few free things they have to get their money back in other ways.

I have to say, by this last cruise Celebrity was on par with my last NCL cruise. Of course it has been 4 years since I was on NCL so I am sure they have become worse too. I am beginning to feel cruising is not for me unless I upgrade tor Azamara or Oceania. That is what it will take to get what was the Celebrity experience I fear.

I am sure this post will thread on some toes. I am sure all loyalists will say I am cheap not to have booked the specializes, but my feeling is I should not HAVE to book the specialties. it should be a choice and not a necessity since Celbrity is classified as a premium mainstream line.

What is ironic is some of the very same people blasted NCL for going this way. Hey, I knew that on NCL, we went with the assumption we would eat in a specialty at least 3 nights of the 7. NCL is only classified as a mainstream line, it is not supposed to be as good as Celebrity. I just expected better of Celebrity.

I wish Celebrity would keep their onboard credit and go back to the old way. They could even hike up the cruise fare if need be and I would be okay if I had the old Celebrity product. I prefer that as it is more honest. Hey, they would also get more money out of me onboard as I would book the specialties by choice and not out of necessity and I would have bought more cappuccinos too if they had not cost more than Starbucks which I also feel is overpriced for the product.

But with all the choices out there I don't understand why you keep sailing with a line that " is unacceptable" ?

I cna't answer for the person you quoted but for myself, I am in no hurry.

Be glad for the onboard credit; all we got back was port taxes last week. I would have been happy if they had offered us one or 2 free drinks or an onboard credit for a future cruise, but we got nothing but refunded port taxes.

However I am able to live with that. What I was unhappy about was the mediocre food in the main dining room and hiked up prices of everything that is extra. I was shocked at the cost of specialties outside of the Bistro and the Porch. I feel like now they offer the $210 ultimate specialty dinner for the week upgrade per person, that they expect you to buy that.

This was my 5th Celebrity cruise and I did not feel this way about other 4. My 4th and 5th Celebrity cruises were in June 2012 and January 2013, so fairly recent. I do think it is the Celebrity 123 program. It seems since they give us a few free things they have to get their money back in other ways.

I have to say, by this last cruise Celebrity was on par with my last NCL cruise. Of course it has been 4 years since I was on NCL so I am sure they have become worse too. I am beginning to feel cruising is not for me unless I upgrade tor Azamara or Oceania. That is what it will take to get what was the Celebrity experience I fear.

I am sure this post will thread on some toes. I am sure all loyalists will say I am cheap not to have booked the specializes, but my feeling is I should not HAVE to book the specialties. it should be a choice and not a necessity since Celbrity is classified as a premium mainstream line.

What is ironic is some of the very same people blasted NCL for going this way. Hey, I knew that on NCL, we went with the assumption we would eat in a specialty at least 3 nights of the 7. NCL is only classified as a mainstream line, it is not supposed to be as good as Celebrity. I just expected better of Celebrity.

I wish Celebrity would keep their onboard credit and go back to the old way. They could even hike up the cruise fare if need be and I would be okay if I had the old Celebrity product. I prefer that as it is more honest. Hey, they would also get more money out of me onboard as I would book the specialties by choice and not out of necessity and I would have bought more cappuccinos too if they had not cost more than Starbucks which I also feel is overpriced for the product.

Not really, it just leaves me a tad confused:confused: Trying to see how your post relates to missing a port:confused:

Apparently you are or there is something wrong with your reading comprehension. I didn't say the line was unacceptable. But you know that Wallie....

So then in the end, the way they do things, is acceptable, right Charles?

Agree with you wallie, Charles would appear to be supporting Celebrity's discriminatory treatment of passenger groups. I find it interesting that Celebrity cannot find the time to explain their post number 64 to me.

I must disagree with you over mumofmeg's post. She clearly states she was on the November cruise, then continues to identify other problems with the cruise. Food is not as good as on RCCL Freedom class ships which are generally given a 4* rating. The service in Blu was very poor, even the staff acknowledged this and apologised for their over 18 minute wait between two courses. Often had to remind staff what they were going for. On our previous cruise we had two excellent waiters so the contrast was extreme. Oceanview often overcrowded and large queues waiting for food to be brought from the kitchens. My wife gave up waiting for a stir fry to be made. Wine waiters in Oceanview nearly impossible to obtain, much faster to go to bar yourself. The penny pinching is showing up, its not just the absence of chocolates at turndown, earbud dispencer and flowers having disappeared, fruit is not replaced when consumed and so it goes on. Celebrity's product is poorer than it was only 18 months ago and it costs a lot more. I believe it is time to try other cruise lines.

The worst of all is that when problem's occur it is never their fault.

Edited by candhu18

Not really, it just leaves me a tad confused:confused: Trying to see how your post relates to missing a port:confused:

it relates. I am letting the OP know his Silhouette cruise will be a disappointment in more ways than missing a port.

Instead of starting another thread I said my piece here.

However, I do genuinely hope the OP does have a better cruise than I had.

Agree with you wallie, Charles would appear to be supporting Celebrity's discriminatory treatment of passenger groups. I find it interesting that Celebrity cannot find the time to explain their post number 64 to me.

I must disagree with you over mumofmeg's post. She clearly states she was on the November cruise, then continues to identify other problems with the cruise. Food is not as good as on RCCL Freedom class ships which are generally given a 4* rating. The service in Blu was very poor, even the staff acknowledged this and apologised for their over 18 minute wait between two courses. Often had to remind staff what they were going for. On our previous cruise we had two excellent waiters so the contrast was extreme. Oceanview often overcrowded and large queues waiting for food to be brought from the kitchens. My wife gave up waiting for a stir fry to be made. Wine waiters in Oceanview nearly impossible to obtain, much faster to go to bar yourself. The penny pinching is showing up, its not just the absence of chocolates at turndown, earbud dispencer and flowers having disappeared, fruit is not replaced when consumed and so it goes on. Celebrity's product is poorer than it was only 18 months ago and it costs a lot more. I believe it is time to try other cruise lines.

The worst of all is that when problem's occur it is never their fault.

My steward did give us chocolate covered Oreos one night at turn down. They were our towel frog's eyes! He was one of the best stewards we have ever had. Sad to say but he was the highlight of our cruise and I do not mean the oreos, lol! I can pass on bedtime chocolates. If a line is going to skimp, they should on things such as that and the gala buffets, which are really a waste with all the other food on a cruise. I hope he did not buy those cookies out of his own pocket.

I do agree with what you are saying though. If we are to have a NCL experience then we may as well save a few dollars and cruise NCL instead. Not that I want to go back on NCL mind you. I really think I just need a break from cruising. I need to take more land trips and do an occasional cruise for ferry service and just consider it ferry service and not a cruise.

I find it interesting that the Celebrity haters are reading the Celebrity page on cruise critic. Do you monitor all cruise lines? I have been on many cruises with Celebrity, as well as other lines, the last cruise on Celebrity was 6 months ago. I still like Celebrity, I just don't like being lied to.

Hi there,

The November 27 sailing was affected by both issues. Had the weather cooperated, Silhouette would have still been able to make it.

However, the December 7 sailing is not the same.

November 23rd sailing Mr. Celebrity and Dec 7th was scheduled to do the same exact ports. We did get that letter the previous poster mentioned.

Some even did the math and realized even with perfect weather conditions, at 17 knots an hour, we would be over 2 hours late arriving into San Juan which is only a 5 and half hour port. Yes the weather was rough, but we knew better than to believe we would have gone into port for only 3 hours.

Did the November 22 Celebrity Reflection make her ports? she had almost the same ports with an exchange of St. Thomas for St. Kitts.

RCI Independence of the Seas had the same ports as the Silhouette. She did St Marteen first (the day we skipped San Juan) was with us at St. Kits, and was scheduled to do San Juan while were were at St; Marteen.

I have to say this too,returning to Ft. Lauderdale the weather was much better, but yet we could still hear a horrible loud engine noise at dinner in the main dining room.

I find it interesting that the Celebrity haters are reading the Celebrity page on cruise critic. Do you monitor all cruise lines? I have been on many cruises with Celebrity, as well as other lines, the last cruise on Celebrity was 6 months ago. I still like Celebrity, I just don't like being lied to.

I hope you do not mean me. I am hardly a Celebrity hater. I have 40 days on Celebrity which is more days than I have with any other line as of now anyway. I always loved Celebrity and considered Celebrity the best of the 7 lines I have cruised until this last cruise.