Carnival's new internet package

jandtb

Cruise Critic friends are always fast with answers so I thought I'd ask here as I try to find the answer on Carnival's website, which isn't always the easiest. :eek:

What Ships already offer the new internet package?

Carnival Freedom and we have reports it is now available on the Carnival Breeze and Carnival Sunshine beginning last/this week.

Thanks Baymax! We'll be on the Glory in Feb. and were wondering what's the best way to do online check-in for our flight home. Hoping Glory is on the "to be added soon" list...

What are the details of the new internet package and how to they compare with the current Internet?

Tom:)

I was on the Freedom Nov 23rd and they had new packages. Can't remember exactly but it was available for $5 unlimited for 24 hours for facebook. $16 for unlimited 24 hours for emails and regular internet etc but not for using skype. So I suppose a 6 day cruise would have been $96 for unlimited. I only used it for one 24 hour period.

The new plan has 3 options: social, value, and premium. They were priced both each day or the entire cruise. For our 6 day on Freedom, my kids did the social for $25 (entire cruise). This enables Facebook, Instagram, snapchat, iMessage, and a few of other social sites. You can use any kind of device that has the appropriate apps (like a Mac, iPad, iPhone, for iMessage) or web browser. The value adds access to email sites and everything else except streaming music, video, and chat (I.e. Skype). You can use as many devices as you want but only 1 can be connected at a time. You have to log off #1 before #2 can login, etc. With the low prices, it wasn't bad even giving all the kids their own account. You login id will be you portfolio id and birthdate.

Thanks Baymax! We'll be on the Glory in Feb. and were wondering what's the best way to do online check-in for our flight home. Hoping Glory is on the "to be added soon" list...

If you truly only want to use the Internet to check in for a flight, have someone at home do the online check in and you can pick up ticket at kiosk or baggage check in at the airport. Lots cheaper than any internet package.

I agree- have some one check you in at home. get the boarding passes at the airport. The internet cafe is a zoo this last day with everyone trying to do just that

Edited by serene56

I'll use my iPad I think, for the Social Plan, but if I chose to use my iPhone, what would prevent other data from accessing my phone account ? Or do you still keep data turned off and in airplane mode ?

Edited by Delta Dear

I'll use my iPad I think, for the Social Plan, but if I chose to use my iPhone, what would prevent other data from accessing my phone account ? Or do you still keep data turned off and in airplane mode ?

yes Jane you keep the phone or iPad in airplane mode. we bought 2 pkgs. so both Dan and I could use it at the same time.

I bought the $60 value plan on Freedom (just home yesterday).

I probably should've only done the Social plan, as I really didn't need the rest. I'd arranged for DD to check me in for my return flight and could've done without checking sports scores and email.

Still, $60 for an 8-night cruise is very reasonable. A couple of times I couldn't connect, but I simply logged out and logged back in and everything worked just fine, even down in my cabin on Riviera (I was pretty much under the lobby so maybe the single was strong there).

It was nice to upload a few pics to Facebook to taunt my friends back home. :p

@Gregg. I couldn't make out the detail from your posted link and wonder if you (or anyone else) can tell me about the Premium package? The price, the services, etc.

We will be on the Sunshine (which, according to Baymax, looks like it's recently been added to the new Internet plan) in January with our granddaughter and I know Mom & Dad will appreciate as many contact times and options as we can get. :)

The price for this is very good, although I would never purchase it.

However, DH must check his email from work every day or two, so this is a much worse deal for us. He normally would spend about $25-$30 for the entire trip checking email (he downloads, then reads off-line, then types any needed responses, then logs back on to send).

When he checked it on our last trip on the Freedom, he had to pay $16.00 for 24 hours of access. He didn't really need to check again in the next 24 hours, but needed to check in approx. 36-48 hours. He used the free WiFi at Paradise Beach for his next check-in so he didn't have to pay, but this would have cost another $16 for a second 24 hour access, and would have been $32.00 total to us.

Do the new packages have a "pay as you go" option? I always use that and it usually only runs me around $25 for a 7 day cruise. A couple of weeks ago, on the Splendor, the internet service reminded me of a really bad dial up connection from around 1988. :)

I'm on the Sunshine today and have the $60 Social Package. I'm extremely impressed. Quite fast and good wifi coverage throughout the ship.

The wifi set your phone location to Cocoa Florida, but it's not a big deal.

I am unable to login to some popular photo sites- I'm guessing they are blocked to prevent mass uploads of photos to sites like shutterfly

We departed Curaçao about 40 minutes ago. This is my speed test:

ImageUploadedByForums1418248758.383401.jpg.2198d4000927dd31fc20b12b87ae4c1c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app