Early flight from FLL

pam7553

its not a flight I would be comfortable with. The earliest I would book a flight us 11:30.

If you ship arrives on time you will need to be one of the first off the ship.

Saturday/Sunday is huge turn over days for ships

Allowing 2 hours to get luggage checked and through security. You must be off the ship by 8:30

Its nit worth the stress for me

I flew out from FLL this morning, same scenario: platinum, self assist, first group off the ship. We got on the shuttle around 8:00 am and had to wait a half hour for it to fill up. Part of US 95 was shut down so we were diverted to another route that took us near the Miami airport, about a 45 min. trip to FLL. Another 15 minutes waiting for the shuttle to drop passengers off at other terminals. 15 minutes for curbside check-in. 15-20 minutes to get through security puts us at about 10:00 to get to the gate, for our 11:15 departure. Not a lot of wiggle room if anything was to go wrong. Taking a taxi instead of the Carnival transfer would certainly cut the time down to the airport.

And all the above comments are as long as there are no issues with Immigration/Customs clearing the ship when it docks in Miami. And providing there are no hiccups en route to the port.

Big what ifs but not worth the stress in getting to the airport.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Forums mobile app

Will be sailing on the Freedom, January 10. Is 10:30am too early for a flight from FLL? We are Platinum and will do self assist.

Is the Freedom out of Miami? I am assuming from the other answers being given that it must be. Honestly you being platinum helps you a lot. You would really need to be off the ship quickly and through customs which I think is possible. Like someone else said. The difficult part is the shuttle. When we took a shuttle from POM to FLL we took SAS. They got us there quickly, but they circled the ships unloading area 4-5 times before getting on the road. Not great if you are in a hurry, but they have to do it. I know a taxi would be expensive, but if you already have the flight booked it may just be worth it for you to do the taxi. That would probably be the best way/quickest way for you to get there.

If the freedom docks in Ft. Lauderdale, then it's no problem. You will make that flight. Just don't delay getting there. I would curbside check your luggage and get directly in line when you get there as the lines get really long the latter it gets in the day.

Actually the Freedom goes out of FLL in January. So, I answered based on another comment. FYI - OP, next time be specific for those of us who are a little slow .... :p

Based on the new and correct information, legitimately, you could make an early 10:30 flight. That being said, I'm such a control freak that there is no way I'd reserve a flight that early just so I wouldn't have to rush and if there were any unforeseen issues you wouldn't go into a panic.

Someone above said they wouldn't get a flight earlier than 11:30 and I would agree with that.

Sorry for the confusion regarding Miami, but there was a response before mine that lead me to believe you would be disembarking in Miami.

Happy cruzin!

If the ship is on time, you will have no problem making a 1030am flight. We have done self-disembark and have been off the ship and through customs by 7:20am. It is a 10-15 minute ride to the airport.

Now, with that said, IF the ship is late, the 1030am flight can cause you a LOT of stress. Is 1130 better, yes. But 1030 is doable.

Have a fall-back plan in case the ship is late.

We got off the Breeze this past Saturday at 7:40, and easily made our 10:50 flight out of Fll. We are platinum and did self assist. Used SAS Transportation and were through security and at our gate at 9:30. Everything went smoothly... but, I worried. It only takes one flat tire or car accident on the freeway to spoil the best laid plans. It worked for us this time, but I wont do it again!!!!

Will be sailing on the Freedom, January 10. Is 10:30am too early for a flight from FLL? We are Platinum and will do self assist.

PAM: As mentioned 10:30 is doable however there are a few things that need to fall into place.

1) Getting off the ship early is good. Will the ship be late?

2) Status at FLL? Do you have status on the airline you are flying? Getting in the short line thru security. The normal lines can be looooooong.

3) Weekend mornings at FLL are in a word, BAD!!!

The only way to avoid lines at security is to have status! Good luck!!!

Our recent cruise self-disembark didn't begin until 7:45 and then customs was so slow that halted all disembark for 30 minutes at a time. Earliest people weren't off until after 8am. When we arrived at the airport, there was an hour wait just to check in bags (although Dec 7 was a very busy travel day). Then security was a 45 minute line. I suspect people with early flights from FLL missed them. Obviously, plenty of people have no problems but there are so many chances for any single thing to go wrong to make you miss a flight. It depends on your stomach for risk.

I'm even nervous about an 11:30 flight from FLL. We were on Freedom in 2013. We are platinum and after we disembarked there was a problem at Immigration with the computers down for well over an hour. We made our 11:30 flight with plenty of time to spare, but I was getting nervous.

Travel Insurance would not even have covered this situation as the ship was in port in plenty of time.