Review - Ruby Princess Nov. 8 - 15

greenie082756

I’m sorry I didn’t mean to be so lengthy, however here it is:

This is a review of our cruise (DH age 59 & I age 58) took on the Ruby Princess. Cruise was leaving from Ft. Lauderdale to the Eastern Caribbean and back. Nov. 8 – Nov. 15, 2014. This was our second cruise with Princess and hopefully many more in the future. We like Princess and it suits our needs. It’s like finding the right glove to fit the hand. We got some FCC this trip so…. 

We are from Arizona and flew in the day before to Fort Lauderdale. We stayed at the hotel - Hyatt Place Ft. Lauderdale 17th St. Convention Center. We took a direct flight so that was nice. Arrived @ 4 pm Florida time. We were fortunate to catch the shuttle bus for our hotel within 15 minutes of standing outside. When that happened, all I could think of was that I must have done something nice for someone in order for the stars to align so nicely. It was about a 15 minute ride to the hotel. We were greeted promptly and checked in. We also reserved a seat for the shuttle bus to the cruise terminal. All our questions were answered as we had never been to Ft. Lauderdale before and we wanted to get something to eat. We were directed to a small shopping mall that was across the ways. It was a few blocks walking. Total Wine and More was in the mall so we went there first then we saw a hamburger restaurant. I can’t find the receipt for it but it was pretty good. Afterwards, we walked back to the hotel, totally exhausted and went right to bed. It was a nice hotel, great free breakfast downstairs in the morning. If we ever get a chance to be in Ft. Lauderdale again I would want to try a different hotel. This one was good but isn’t variety the spice of life?

We were in the terminal @ about 12pm. We were directed around after filling out the paperwork to have a seat. I must say Princess is very organized on the boarding procedure and once it started we were on the ship in 20 minutes and were in the very back rows of the terminal.

We had an ocean view room on the Plaza level. P234. We came to the conclusion that this was just a bit too small for us (We say that because the last cabin we had was a balcony on our last cruise). I have medication that needs to be kept refrigerated so when I opened up the refrigerator and saw a part eaten sandwich and opened soda I was surprised. I took them out, set them on the desk and put my medication away. The steward was very apologetic and I bet he checked the refrigerator when we left. This cabin was in the perfect spot for us. We did like our location, just wished there was more room. I had to scoot down the bed to get out as there was only a few inches room between the side of the bed and the wall. My husband’s side had a nightstand turned sideways so it was only partially used. Bathroom seemed a bit smaller too however it was sufficient. Never saw the steward, our room was made in the morning and evening like clockwork! Works for us!

This is the itinerary: Saturday @ sea, Sunday @ Princess Cays. We rented a shell, stayed about 3 hours and then decided to go back to the ship. Monday at sea. Tuesday @ St. Maarten. We walked around but it was so crowded we didn’t stay out long. I think there were like 6 ships @ the port that day. Wednesday @ St. Thomas. We did the Blackbeard’s castle tour. Interesting. Thursday @ Grand Turk. I finally got to have my margarita @ Margaretville. Friday @ sea. Saturday disembark.

One of the advantages of being on the plaza level is the International Café. I was there daily and only once did I feel like I was bothering someone to assist me. I just chalked it up to being a bad day for that person and I just smiled and said thank you. BTW, their donuts are the best!

We had anytime dining @ Michelangelo’s (on the Plaza level) and never waited. We were willing to share and actually had the same tablemates a few times and that made it much more fun. The food was good. No complaints from us. On the second formal night we had dinner @ the Crown Grill. All was good! Would do it again.

Disembarkation was very organized and we actually got off a bit earlier than scheduled.

We were much more relaxed this cruise and really did a lot of napping. We did watch a few movies on MUTS and that was very enjoyable. Watched a singer Sonia Selbie not once but twice! She really has a strong voice. Reminded me of Barbara Streisand when she sang.

The seas were smooth, the weather was perfect and the crew was always greeting passengers with a smile, sir or madam. I don’t think I saw anything unusual or bad this vacation. Ruby Princess is a fine beautiful ship. I so enjoyed just sitting in the Piazza watching people or just reading. Very relaxing – just what the Dr. ordered.

We would sail her again in a heartbeat. The only difference would be we would want to have a balcony and not have to fly so far to be on her. We are looking @ California departures.

I hope this review was informative for those looking to cruise the Caribbean or on the Ruby Princess.

Teresa

DH and I were on this same sailing and ITA about the plaza deck oceanviews. We did like the location but hated the one nightstand and that the other side of the bed was pushed against the wall. I had nowhere to put my glass of water and medications that I need to take upon awakening. The deck plans show two nightstands, so we were disappointed in the cabin. The price and location were good, but we won't book one again.

By and large, though, we did enjoy the cruise. People, crews, entertainment, and food were all great!