LIVE from Silhouette and Eclipse. OUR HOLIDAY ADVENTURE!!! Dec 14 to Jan 4th

chicagopaul

Happy New Year, Paul! Hope you had a wonderful time on the ship last night! Thanks for doing this live review of your cruises. We did a Christmas cruise on Silhouette in 2013 and we're on Eclipse next month. Your review is making me eager to get to Florida and board the ship! :) Thanks again for taking the time to do this review!

Carol

I'm on the Eclipse with chicagopaul. Main dining room food is worse than ever (as you can see from my signature, I'm a celebrity regular) to the point where my family and I dread dinner. Even Tuscan Grill and Murano have declined. Internet has been surprisingly good. Weather has been amazing. And despite the food and a subpar room steward, we are having a great time!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am so surprised to read you comment about the food on Eclipse. We were on the TA in November and, from our first meal in Bistro on Five for embarkation lunch, we were impressed by the quality of the food across the board - from the buffet to Murano. As you will see from my signature, we are also Celebrity regulars and, IMHO, the food was much better than it has been for a number of years.

Just goes to show how subjective the food is.

Happy new year and happy sailing,

Jenna

Just goes to show how subjective the food is.

Happy new year and happy sailing,

Jenna

Jenna

I am not so sure in this case. There is another current thread about food quality and there seem to lots of reports about the current poor food on Eclipse. Yet the ingredients were very definitely of higher quality than in recent years on our TA.

There have been similar reports from other ships and I have started to wonder if Celebrity [and Royal Caribbean and Azamara?] are using different suppliers in Europe rather than sourcing everything from the USA now. I am not suggesting that a European supplier is better than a US one but that, perhaps, with a relatively new contract, they could be trying harder?

Happy New Year!

Edited by Project_gal

Sue,

Everything is ordered via Miami. RCI/X do not "buy" from local producers due to the legal situation (mainly the CDC). In Europe of course they to have approved suppliers especially for dairy products and some veggies/fruits. All meats are shipped to Europe from the US.

Sure it might be that the quality of the products has declined over the years (everyone tries to save money).

But the main reason for good or bad food on a ship is the current executive chef onboard. They sure change the style of cooking depending on where the ship is located or the majority of the guest are coming from. As an example the roast beef sandwich on the Splendour of the Seas was overcooked. It was a week or two after the TA from Brazil. We met the corporate chef and asked him about it. His reply was that in Brazil the people prefer the meat "very well done" and the staff first has to learn to prepare it the European way. That´s why he is onboard (plus on that cruise they´ve changed to the new menus).

Another example is from NCL. On the Epic food was not worth mentioning (let´s say the salmon was overcooked and dry in two restaurants - specialty and main). On the Jade the same dishes we had on the Epic were excellent. We later had a chance to talk with the chef and it´s been his attitude that everyone has to give his best for the guest. He didn´t accept anything below his own standards.

steamboats

Our Mew Years on the Eclipse! I took a small video of us getting ready and lots of video of the count down and the deck party. In my full comprehensive review of both cruises, which will likely be similar to a dissertation lol, I will include in chronological order all videos, photos, etc. My goal is to not really return to full work mode until Tuesday so I will have Monday to compile everything for you.

Our New Year's Eve was spent at a beach in St. kitts...forget the name. It is right next to Turtle Beach. About a 30 or so minute cab ride. Our original goal was to go to our favorite Carambola Beach Club which is nice and private but it was closed for a private event. We had a nice time at the beach with another couple. We swam for a little while and watched some crew members play soccer. The ride back to the ship was interesting as it was raining and we needed to travel some very windy roads in the hills. Those of you who have been to St. Kitts know exactly what I am talking about.

We had a quick lunch once we got back on the ship and then watched the ship pull out on the way to St. Marten. We got dressed, me in a tux minus the tie and Edward in a suit with s nice silver tie and white handkerchief. At 7pm we met our favorite couple who we were at the beach with earlier for a bottle of champagne in their cabin. Their cabin is only a few doors down from ours. They has pre ordered a nice bottle of champagne and the room steward provided some extra canopies and put together a nice cheese plate. We finished the champagne and headed off to dinner in Blu. We had a lovely dinner. Our wait staff brought us hats that said Happy New Year; yes you will see photos! We actually were not crazy about the hats so we ordered tiaras instead. Yes it drew some attention but all in good fun!

We then headed down to the Martini bar to secure some seats with our favorite bartenders Charule (pronounced i-rule) and Ida and Sasha. This was around 10pm. We had scheduled another bottle of champagne to be delivered to the Martini Bar around 11:30 from our sommelier. Right on time she came with it (a very nice rose champagne) and we had the bartenders keep it chilled for us until closer to midnight. We then took our glasses up to the pool deck and watched the party get underway. The pool deck was packed with people but we managed to get s good standing around right around the ice sculpture of 2014 (they push the 4 in the water at midnight and then replace it with a 5).

The party on the deck was great. We ran into our waitstaff from Blu that was a combination serving champagne and dancing! They were having a great time. We took some amazing photos and simply enjoyed what we have been waiting for, for so long....NYE on the ship.

We then headed back to the martini bar to secure our seats and keep drinking. Now our friends that we started with at 7pm are from Sweden so the goal behind starting at 7pm was to celebrate New Years in Sweden. Then we had our midnight celebration, but it was then time to stay awake to celebrate cities in the states! 1am marked NYC and 2am marked Chicago! We toasted, we took shots of tequila, we took more photos. I connected to the Internet and iMessaged my family and friends and posted on facebook (the Internet worked very well at 2am). I think the martini bar started to close around 2:30/45 so around this point we then all headed back to our cabin to open another bottle of champagne and of course order late night room service. Pizza, cheeseburgers, and a turkey club were promptly delivered and we ate and chatted and waited to ring the new year in LA. Unfortunately we only lasted until around 3:45am and had to call it a night! But what a night it was. We had an absolute wonderful time on the ship and with our new friends.

I'd like to quickly add that we have met so many wonderful people on this ship from all over the world. While we always meet people on every cruise we go on, this has been the most memorable for us. It's a strange feeling but with so many of those we have met on this cruise we feel like we have known them for years. It is amazing on cruise travel does that!

So let me get back to my screwdriver at the sunset bar and I will continue writing in a short while. Cheers all!

Sent from my iPad

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Does Anita happen to be a tall' date=' beautiful girl who has close relatives in Australia?

If so, she was an assistant in Blu on our Solstice cruise in Australia in 2013 who was very obviously being groomed for something else.

If it's the same Anita please ask her if she'll still be on the ship in February.

We (Allan and Karen - Allan is a vegan and she made him a special smoothy every morning!) would LOVE to see her again!!!!!

torontotraveller and wedding96- Could one of you please check if Anita, the dining room manager in Blu is "our" Anita from the Solstice in 2013 and if she'll be on the Eclipse in February.

SO EXCITED to see her again.

Thank you!

She is relatively tall and beautiful but she is not from Australia, Serbia I believe. You will still love her! She is amazing. Regarding the food argument. We made a point to speak to several people regarding food in MDR. Those we have spoken to said they've had pretty good meals. But they are in select and have had the same waitstaff every night that has made recommendations for them. As for our experience the food in Blu is excellent. We've had s couple items slightly off but all are very good. When our waiter Kirk says we should avoid a certain item we take his suggestion. The Chicago foodies are very pleased with Blu and loving the service.

Our

I think the martini bar started to close around 2:30/45 so around this point we then all headed back to our cabin to open another bottle of champagne and of course order late night room service. Pizza, cheeseburgers, and a turkey club were promptly delivered and we ate and chatted and waited to ring the new year in LA. Unfortunately we only lasted until around 3:45am and had to call it a night! But what a night it was. We had an absolute wonderful time on the ship and with our new friends.

So let me get back to my screwdriver at the sunset bar and I will continue writing in a short while. Cheers all!

Sent from my iPad

Enjoy your young stomachs! :D

Pizza, cheeseburgers, and a turkey club at 3:45 am would still have my stomach upset two days later! :eek:

Does Anita happen to be a tall' date=' beautiful girl who has close relatives in Australia?

If so, she was an assistant in Blu on our Solstice cruise in Australia in 2013 who was very obviously being groomed for something else.

If it's the same Anita please ask her if she'll still be on the ship in February.

[b']We (Allan and Karen - Allan is a vegan and she made him a special smoothy every morning!) would LOVE to see her again!!!!!

[/b]

She is relatively tall and beautiful but she is not from Australia, Serbia I believe. You will still love her! She is amazing. Regarding the food argument. We made a point to speak to several people regarding food in MDR. Those we have spoken to said they've had pretty good meals. But they are in select and have had the same waitstaff every night that has made recommendations for them. As for our experience the food in Blu is excellent. We've had s couple items slightly off but all are very good. When our waiter Kirk says we should avoid a certain item we take his suggestion. The Chicago foodies are very pleased with Blu and loving the service.

OMG! I think it' the same person. She WAS from Serbia but had an aunt and uncle in Sydney (I think).

Please, please, please ask her if she'll still be on the ship February 15th.

(She'll remember us - my husband is a vegan and she made him a special smoothie every morning for the 35 days we were on the Solstice)

Sue,

Everything is ordered via Miami. RCI/X do not "buy" from local producers due to the legal situation (mainly the CDC). In Europe of course they to have approved suppliers especially for dairy products and some veggies/fruits. All meats are shipped to Europe from the US.

That was always my understanding but I made the suggestion because the quality of the food changing immediately following the TAs is difficult to explain otherwise. The quality of the meat and [even more surprising] fish was outstanding on the TA.

Sue,

After a TA usually a lot of staff changes. On the thread by HostAndy who was on the first Southern Caribbean cruise after the TA I read that the everyday menu still had the British dishes (stew, liver...). Now the reports are that the everyday menu is back to the US dishes (chicken, salmon, steak...). So I assume that the galley team or at least the executive chef has changed too. Maybe the new one is still working on getting his crew "in order". Or maybe they are still working on the "new" dishes. I can tell you more by Sunday ;).

steamboats

Enjoy your young stomachs! :D

Pizza, cheeseburgers, and a turkey club at 3:45 am would still have my stomach upset two days later! :eek:

OMG! I think it' the same person. She WAS from Serbia but had an aunt and uncle in Sydney (I think).

Please, please, please ask her if she'll still be on the ship February 15th.

(She'll remember us - my husband is a vegan and she made him a special smoothie every morning for the 35 days we were on the Solstice)

I will mention it to her tonight!

Greetings everyone from our last day at sea. Ah such as a sad day! But it has been a long trip and Edward is especially eager to get back into a normal routine.

Yesterday, our second to last sea day was relatively uneventful. We had a couple drinks at the sunset bar and the the pool bar. We then watched the volleyball by the pool and finally found a couple loungers though they were in the shade. People continue to get up very early to save chairs. Today we got two chairs in the semi shade but hopefully will have sun in a couple of hours. Fingers crossed!

Yesterday we skipped the production show and had a late dinner. Blu was very good as always. We both had the seared tuna and we split the risotto which was very good.

I did ask Anita if she was on the Solstice last year and unfortunately she was not. I'm sorry! I was hoping for your sake it would have been the same one that took such good care of you. This Anita is excellent though. Specifically, I recommend getting seated in captain Kirks section though he is leaving on vacation in a month or two so he may be gone. His assistant waitress is Julianna. So if Kirk is not there, just get into her section. She is one of the nicest people I think I have ever met and will most definitely take great care of you.

Captains Club Hostess is Deborah and she has been very nice. The cruise director has been pretty good though we don't see him out and about too much but he is always introducing the shows and does a good job with his morning announcements. The activities director seems very nice and we do see him out and about, organizing lawn games, trivia, etc. He is pretty engaging. They do a progressive lawn club putting game on sea days that is fun to play in or just watch.

Our weather has been quite perfect this entire cruise. It has been warm but not boiling hot. We've only had a couple instances of rain and that has only lasted a short while.

Sent from my iPad

We are back in the states and waiting at FLL Airport. We had an amazing time and met so many wonderful people. I will start a new thread and write a comprehensive review complete with all my photos, video, etc. I have kept all the dailys and I will upload them as well.

We are back in the states and waiting at FLL Airport. We had an amazing time and met so many wonderful people. I will start a new thread and write a comprehensive review complete with all my photos, video, etc. I have kept all the dailys and I will upload them as well.

I'm looking forward to reading it all! :-)

Louise

Sent from my D6603 using Forums mobile app

Paul -

I had bookmarked your live review a few days ago so that I could spend the weekend reading from start to finish. What an enjoyable way to spend some time on the weekend using free WIFI at Starbucks and on a rainy/cold day.

As you can see from my signature, I have spent a good bit of time on Celebrity and a few other lines as well. My partner and I just returned from 16 days on the Constellation cruising from Rome to Fort Lauderdale, but the whole trip included pre- and post-cruise land vacation time totaling 30 days (5 days Rome, 5 days Key West, & 5 days Atlanta for Thanksgiving). Both Iain and myself feel that Celebrity is a good fit for us and we are looking forward to 2 more cruises on Celebrity in the next 14 months.

Thank you for your time and generosity that you took to share details of your two cruises, including your stateroom accommodations. It was very much appreciated as I have not been on either of those two ships. We have also enjoyed Blu on two cruise ships (Reflection and Constellation) but our next two cruises will have us dining in the MDR on Constellation (Concierge C2) and the Suite dining room on the Solstice (Celebrity Suite). You will definitely enjoy your time on Reflection.

By the way, I used to live in Chicago from 1993 - 2008 and miss being away from the midwest and Chicago. It is always nice to return home to a routine when you have had some extended travel plans.

Thanks again for your live cruise blog/review. :)

Walter

Thank you for sharing your adventure with us and I am looking forward to your comprehensive review!