I need help -- which cruise to do

cl.klink

Just a few "general" comments.

First, whatever you do, do your Alaska cruise BEFORE you do Antarctica. Alaska is impressive, and you will enjoy it tremendously, but once you have done Antarctica, Alaska would be a letdown...

Second. If the destination is more important than the ship, wait and do Bermuda on HAL. I may be mistaken, but I THINK they are the only cruise line to dock in Hamilton rather than at the dockyards. (Hamilton being RIGHT downtown in the center of the city, AND the center of the island, the dockyards being at the tail end of the island.) It really does make a difference.

Just a few "general" comments.

First, whatever you do, do your Alaska cruise BEFORE you do Antarctica. Alaska is impressive, and you will enjoy it tremendously, but once you have done Antarctica, Alaska would be a letdown...

Second. If the destination is more important than the ship, wait and do Bermuda on HAL. I may be mistaken, but I THINK they are the only cruise line to dock in Hamilton rather than at the dockyards. (Hamilton being RIGHT downtown in the center of the city, AND the center of the island, the dockyards being at the tail end of the island.) It really does make a difference.

Agree with point #1, I think (though, Alaska is more reachable.)

I also think you're right about HAL being the only one to go to Hamilton still. For this trip, their dates do not work for me.

Just need to cruise more and do all of this!

- Joel

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much for all the excellent replies.

Verdict is Alaska. I can only be off in time to leave PM of 5/22, so could make a 5/23 departure from somewhere, but have to be back home 6/01.

Gonna wait for a good rate on these choices:

Princess Star, 5/23 Anchorage --> Vancouver

Princess Grand, 5/23 Vancouver --> Anchorage

HAL Noordam, 5/23 RT Vancouver

HAL Zaandam, 5/24 Anchorage --> Vancouver

Would consider HAL Oosterdam, 5/24 Vancouver --> Anchorage, which has a great rate right now, but can't get back home in time if arrive in Anchorage 5/31.

Again, thanks for all the input from everyone.

Happy New Year!

- Joel

I would also do a one way 7 day out of Juneau or Vancouver. Lots to see that way.

Agree! This was our very first cruise ever, on the beautiful Volendam. We have wonderful memories of sitting in the Crow's Nest watching for whales and the late sunsets. Inside Passage is great for a time limitation of seven days. If OP's spouse likes HAL, the NE cruise would be another time. That one's still on my bucket list.

We have sailed both HAL and Celebrity and find more likenesses than differences. Our first TA said something like "HAL is the go-to line for Alaska" and she wasn't wrong. Have not sailed Princess so cannot weigh in on that.

• 2 months later...

I think you will really enjoy the wrap around Promenade Deck, which I don't think Celebrity has. One of the big perks of HAL and Princess ships (most of the Princess ships, not sure about the newest).

Congratulations - I hope y'all enjoy the cruise. We haven't been on the Oosterdam in several years but will be doing the 10-day Eastern Caribbean on her next January, so I'm interested to know how she is. Please let us know how your cruise goes. Good luck and happy sailing.

Rod