QUANTUM Dec 1-11, 2014 REVIEW w/lots of photos

Hoopster95

Nice review, I’ve enjoyed reliving the Quantum/ It was nice meeting you, (I was the "navigator" on our cabin crawl that talked you into showing you cabin)

I agreed that the Via was a beautiful place, I didn't notice that neither you nor LouTheGlue posted any pictures of the Rhino that was just off the elevator, as you entered the Via. From the distance it was just the Rhino, but from up close it was made up on individual animals and plants. The elephant, and others in the Via were similar. They were very creative.

Here are a couple of my pictures:

Quantum%2520Rhino%25201604.jpg

Quantum%2520Rhino%25201605.jpg

My feelings on Dynamic Dining are mixed. I thought the food quality was good. As the week went on, the service seemed to get better, (or maybe everyone, both the servers and us were just getting used to it) so I'm confident it will improve over time.

We did notice that when you dined made a difference, and if you think about it you can see why. They must have set aside a 1 ½ - 2 hour window for each table. If they start serving at 5:30, and you have a 7:00 reservation, your table is empty from open until 7:00. The server in your section doesn't have to cover your table, so if you have a table in that area before 7:00, you will notice empty tables, and will have more of your server’s attention. But, if you have a 7:45 reservation, right after a 7:00 main show, then your server may have a full complement, so they will be busier, and you may have a little bit of a line waiting for a table.

So those that have earlier dining times, may have had a more pleasant experience.

I think Royal is aware of this, and that may be why people were frustrated that there were not many times available during the 7:00 - 8:00 window, as they may have purposely allowed fewer reservations then.

Hope to sail with you again in the future.

Ron

pictures of the Rhino that was just off the elevator, as you entered the Via. From the distance it was just the Rhino, but from up close it was made up on individual animals and plants. The elephant, and others in the Via were similar. They were very creative.

Here are a couple of my pictures:

Quantum%2520Rhino%25201605.jpg

Hey hey Ron! Pleasure meeting you and thank you for helping out on the cabin crawl. Glad you didn't get lost in my enormous cabin ;)

Awesome find!!! I never noticed that. Do you have other pictures (ie. the elephant you mentioned) and others? If you do, go ahead and post them here :)

We did notice that when you dined made a difference, and if you think about it you can see why. They must have set aside a 1 ½ - 2 hour window for each table. If they start serving at 5:30, and you have a 7:00 reservation, your table is empty from open until 7:00. The server in your section doesn't have to cover your table, so if you have a table in that area before 7:00, you will notice empty tables, and will have more of your server’s attention. But, if you have a 7:45 reservation, right after a 7:00 main show, then your server may have a full complement, so they will be busier, and you may have a little bit of a line waiting for a table.

So those that have earlier dining times, may have had a more pleasant experience.

I'm not so sure about this. I ate at 6, 6:30, 7:30 and as late as 8 on various nights depending on what port we were in and what times were available to book on-line pre-cruise. Not once was I delayed. Silk was full night #2 for 6:30pm. The American Icon night 5 debacle where I posted an approximate 95% capacity and the worst service of the trip was at 6:30pm. When Merion_mom and I had dinner at Grande at 8pm it was maybe 50-60% capacity, not full at all. I also ate late off of Martinique at The Grande 7pm... again maybe 1/2 full. On this very Quantum forum, so many cruisers were complaining that they can't reserve their preferred time for early seating and all they could get was late seating which they hated. Maybe you just hit a few nights with your scheduling that by fluke corresponded with a show and maybe had more cruises book dinner at that venue by chance.

I just had a thought... I was reading another negative thread about another ship and I started laughing. I was going to post "Wait a second OP, are you talking about Quantum here?" but just couldn't bring myself to do it lol. The complaint could've been easily transferred to lady Q and fully blamed on Dynamic Dining, poor staffing, an unprepared ship, blah blah blah... but it was on an existing and highly loved RCL ship.

Edited by Hoopster95

Hi

It was great to read such a positive review about Quantum (after seeing so many negative ones). The pictures were great too.

My new husband and I are sailing on Quantum in February 2015. It will be his first cruise and I'm hoping to get him as addicted to cruising as I am (since I already booked a few more for us).

Thank you

Noreen

Here are some details about some of the artists in the Via.

IMG_1195.jpg

Here are two Pics of the Elephant.

DSC01602.jpgDSC01603.jpg

Here is one other interesting picture. Apparently because this was our first stop in San Juan, there was two crewmen "tagging" the dock with the ships initials "QN". Here is a picture of them in action.

IMG_1089.jpg

Another different shot is this underwater picture taken from inside one of the upper pools in the Solarium, through the Glass walls.

PC022292.jpg

And this is what they have to do if the Northstar doesn't come all the way down, and lock in, so the doors can open. They open one of the floor panels, and get out a stool. The operator uses the stool to reach up and open a panel in the ceiling, and they pull a cable, that releases the air pressure in the door, so they can pull the doors open.

DSC01678.jpg

Edited by rakes5

While I was the first one out to the aft area for lunch, it actually quickly started to get used by other cruisers. I snapped this shot before going up those stairs in this photo... remember these stairs as they can help you later

DSC01366_zps0cc037b5.jpg

Up these stairs you find this... gorgeous seating area behind the Florider with unobstructed views, perfect for sailaways, sunsets, lunch when the seating below is full (hint hint), and easy access up to Seaplex. Gotta love that Manhattan skyline in the background!

DSC01369_zps600ea991.jpg

Turning towards the front of the ship, there was a line forming of about 15 people at IFly/Ripcord. They were all from the previous cruise and knew that you had to pre-book time slots else you won't get on! I know of many who waited until the last 3 sea days to book and didn't end up experiencing this. For the record I did it 3 times over the course of this cruise, IFly is a 110% MUST-DO activity. I got in line right away and waited for them to open, spot on right at 12 noon as promised. I was booked for the next day after our M&M and cabin crawl... all good! But before taking any pics of IFly I was drawn forward by the iconic "Felicia" the Pink Bear... actually this art pieced is called "From Afar"

DSC01373_zpsb4713f88.jpg

DSC01374_zps6be0a4e7.jpg

And it's pretty damn big, bigger than I thought! (I'm 5'11")

DSC01375_zps8f82e7c3.jpg

Hi. I heard there is a weight limit for the IFly - sorry if someone already asked you this (as I just started reading your review) but do they actually weigh you before you do it or do they take you word for it?

thanks!

Hi. I heard there is a weight limit for the IFly - sorry if someone already asked you this (as I just started reading your review) but do they actually weigh you before you do it or do they take you word for it?

thanks!

They weighed me and I don't think they were concerned that I might exceed the weight limit. Some people have posted that they were not weighed but it was done so discreetly that I believe that they may not have even realized it was being done.

thanks!

Hi smoochie.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=319&faqSubjectName=Ships+&faqId=5847

"RipCord by iFLY will be complimentary for guests and likely mirror land-based guidelines: Flyers may be as young as three years of age. There is no upper age limit. All flyers must be in good health and physical condition. Those less than 6 feet tall must weigh less than 230 lbs, and those over 6 feet must weigh less than 250 lbs. Children under 18 years of age need to have a parent or guardian to sign their waiver. If you have a prior shoulder dislocation or back or neck problems you should not fly"

Have a great cruise! :D

Edited by Hoopster95

Amazing Job, Amazing Photos...wish we would have crossed paths. Your views, attitude and opinions match ours. We too loved Quantum and DD. We cannot wait for Anthem...

Ya Lou, would've been great. I did get to meet a whole bunch of awesome outgoing people and I assume you did as well. Maybe one day I'll see your handle show up on a roll call that I'm on :D

wovenwonder & funNJfamily... extremely kind words. Thank you :o

Make sure you check out DEIx15x8's review with a ton of awesome videos http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2137565

Also look at LoutheGlue's review as well http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2133545

They weighed me and I don't think they were concerned that I might exceed the weight limit. Some people have posted that they were not weighed but it was done so discreetly that I believe that they may not have even realized it was being done.

Thanks - I am over the weight limit so I hope they still let me go and do it.

Hi smoochie.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=319&faqSubjectName=Ships+&faqId=5847

"RipCord by iFLY will be complimentary for guests and likely mirror land-based guidelines: Flyers may be as young as three years of age. There is no upper age limit. All flyers must be in good health and physical condition. Those less than 6 feet tall must weigh less than 230 lbs, and those over 6 feet must weigh less than 250 lbs. Children under 18 years of age need to have a parent or guardian to sign their waiver. If you have a prior shoulder dislocation or back or neck problems you should not fly"

Have a great cruise! :D

Hi. Thanks for the above info. I was just looking to see if they actually did weigh people as I am over the weight requirement but really want to do this! I hope I can get away with doing it!

Looking forward to the cruise!

Nancy

Hi. Thanks for the above info. I was just looking to see if they actually did weigh people as I am over the weight requirement but really want to do this! I hope I can get away with doing it!

Looking forward to the cruise!

Nancy

Hey smoochie,

I forget which thread, but recently I read that no one was asked to be weighed. Maybe the staff just sized people up as they came in, everyone looked good, so that particular cruiser says they didn't even see a scale.

But the scale is definitely there. On my sailing, everyone was weighed (I was weighed all three times). SO unless something has changed since Dec 1, you'll likely be weighed in and they'll have to make a call.

I recommend you go up there asap when boarding. On our sailing (and I understand the sailing before and after this one), the opened at 12 noon for reservations. At least you'd know right away.

Have a great cruise no matter what! :D

We were docked so I went back to my cabin to get my backpack ready to head out for the day. The ship was cleared and it was easy debarkation this morning. I was able to take the following two great shots of the Quantum aft, whereby you can really differentiate the various decks from Two70, the 2 level Grand Loft suites decks 8 and 10, the CL deck 12, Conference Center deck 13, the open Windjammer seating are deck 14 and finally the open seating area facing IFly on deck 15

DSC02150_zps261d4f39.jpg

DSC02153_zps1cf6e143.jpg

And here's the Azura and Adventure again from this angle on land

DSC02154_zpse48d7bbb.jpg

For those of you who have never ported in St. Maarten, it's a nice size reception area with plenty of shops, etc and easy to find your way around with clear signage to taxi's, the excursion buses, anything you need. I found my way through port no problem at all in easily less than 5 minutes and out to the main gates alongside many others who were walking to town

DSC02155_zps9b2bbeef.jpg

I was booked for a private excursion with Soualiga & Capt. Bob. I had been to Maho beach to watch the planes land at Princess Julianna twice before so I wanted to try a more all inclusive total island experience this time. Pulling up Tripadvisor, these guys were the #1 rated so I read a few reviews of their tour and booked. Capt Bob got back to me personally very quickly by email to confirm everything... all was good. There is a very clear map and explanation how to find his boats at the Marina on line, it was max a 15 min walk from the ship to the Marina just down the street from the main entrance of the pier. For reference, here's the Marina point looking back at Quantum so you can see how far it is... as a straight walk it would've been maybe 10 blocks tops.

DSC02157_zpsa6e1ae0f.jpg

And here's Capt Bob himself registering everyone and dividing up groups into several boats. Note our boat only had 9 people, max was 10. Lots of space and personal attention, very nice sized group. The Capt and group leader of our boat was the young guy with the white glasses, Radek from Czechoslovakia

DSC02159_zps1773d5be.jpg

Thanks again for the great review! Can you tell me how far Maho beach is from where the Quantum is docked? Would I have time to go there first in the morning to see this, for lets say an hour or so, if I have another excursion planned for the early afternoon? Do you know how much it is to take a cab there and if it would be easy to get a cab back from there to the boat? Thanks for the info!

Nancy

Turning the corner right at the boat/map in the picture above, you see probably about 30-40 Iguana's right there and all around!

DSC02220b_zps09a676ae.jpg

These little critters weren't scared of anything, and obviously knowing they get fed every once in a while. They come and go, more come out of the bushes and down from the rocks as others leave. Personally I've never seen so many all in one spot.

DSC02220c_zpsa82ee509.jpg

The bunch of us there played around with these guys for a long time as everyone was taking pictures. It's too bad we didn't have anything to feed them. More and more Iguana's started coming out of the bushes from the hiding spots or homes I gather, but a few of us noticed right away this behemoth as he made his way down!!

DSC02220d_zps7e44361d.jpg

What a suck! Everyone oooh'd and aaah'd at this thing as other Iguana's moved to the side making a path for him (or her). So we all gathered to check it out and the first brave soul tried to get close.. after it twitched a bit, the petting started, and he closed his eyes to enjoy the massage just like a cat lol! What a hoot

DSC02220e_zps5514f74b.jpg

DSC02220f_zpsd765816c.jpg

Time was running very short and I wanted to get at least glimpse of what else was offered here... very little. It's strictly an extremely quiet beach with excellent swimming. There's a small bar on the other side and another strip of loungers/beach as shown below facing the boats we had come on. Bit now it was time to move on so away I went.

DSC02220j_zpsa072822a.jpg

Hi.

What is the name of this tour you were on in St. Maartin? It looks great! Especially the place with the Iguana's. Can you give me the name and a link so I can look into booking it. We are going Jan 23rd! Thanks!

Nancy

Thanks again for the great review! Can you tell me how far Maho beach is from where the Quantum is docked? Would I have time to go there first in the morning to see this, for lets say an hour or so, if I have another excursion planned for the early afternoon? Do you know how much it is to take a cab there and if it would be easy to get a cab back from there to the boat? Thanks for the info!

Nancy

I know a lot of people will have great advice on this if you post in the regular forum. I've been to Maho twice, last time 3 years ago, so if anyone knows any better please correct me:

Can you tell me how far Maho beach is from where the Quantum is docked?

About 25min cab ride

Would I have time to go there first in the morning to see this, for lets say an hour or so, if I have another excursion planned for the early afternoon?

Absolutely, but I believe most of the larger commercial airliners come in around 11am and later. It would be best you do an excursion in the morning and go to Maho in the afternoon I think

Do you know how much it is to take a cab there and if it would be easy to get a cab back from there to the boat?

I believe cab per person $8, but you will definitely have to share a cab as no cab will take you alone for that price, and there-in lies the problem for getting back... will there be anyone there to share a cab with you to get back, and will the cabbie charge you more as a lone passenger? Hopefully someone who knows this answer can help you here, but post it both on the regular forum as well as on the St. Maarten forum here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93

Hi.

What is the name of this tour you were on in St. Maartin? It looks great! Especially the place with the Iguana's. Can you give me the name and a link so I can look into booking it. We are going Jan 23rd! Thanks!

Nancy

Not sure what Claudio did but we've done Bernard's Tours. http://www.bernardstours.com/ Excellent and lot's of fun. :)

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

Hi.

Nancy

Here you go :)

http://www.soualigadestinations.com/soualiga_destinations/Welcome.html

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g147347-d2083816-Reviews-Soualiga_Destinations-Philipsburg_Sint_Maarten_St_Maarten_St_Martin.html

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowUserReviews-g147347-d2083816-r128483351-Soualiga_Destinations-Philipsburg_Sint_Maarten_St_Maarten_St_Martin.html

Hey smoochie,

I forget which thread, but recently I read that no one was asked to be weighed. Maybe the staff just sized people up as they came in, everyone looked good, so that particular cruiser says they didn't even see a scale.

But the scale is definitely there. On my sailing, everyone was weighed (I was weighed all three times). SO unless something has changed since Dec 1, you'll likely be weighed in and they'll have to make a call.

I recommend you go up there asap when boarding. On our sailing (and I understand the sailing before and after this one), the opened at 12 noon for reservations. At least you'd know right away.

Have a great cruise no matter what! :D

Guess I'll try and see what happens. One of things I really wanted to do on this cruise though....Guess I had big dreams on trying to lose enough weight before my cruise to be able to do it.... but either way I intend to have a GREAT cruise!!!

Thanks again!

Nancy

Thankyou for having a positive report. We will be going on the ship in Feb. and with all the bad reporting I was worried we would be so disappointed.

Now if the weather gets a little warmer in N.J.

Thanks for all the pictures. Will look forward to the rest of the trip photos.

You're not going to believe this but check out donovan52 review of the Jewel's December sailing, which we were docked beside in St Kitts

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2144344&page=2

Scroll down to post #28... Awesome pics of Lady Q coming into port. If you go back in my review you'll some great pics looking down onto Jewel as we docked. Looks like donovan52 was pointing his camera right back at me and got a shot of me on top deck!!!!! Funny as hell. It's hard to tell and a little blurred, but I can definitely tell what I'm wearing when blown up, plus I have my hands through the slats of the glass with my camera pointing at Jewel! :p

I've asked the OP if I can transfer the photos here to this review, so I hope that will be ok. The photo where I see myself is the 5th one down. I'm the second person from the left, half hiding behind the blue panel