which is easiest airport to connect of these?

vacation fool

Given the existence of the JBA, would it be viable to do more of the trans-Atlantics on BA? A T5-T5 connection would be much less painful.

Yep, I almost never fly to/from LHR on AA unless I am actually going to London...and even then, I only do it so that I can use SWUs to get upgraded. The T3 to T5 transfer isn't the worst, but I would rather just fly an all-BA itinerary and stick within T5.

Edited by Zach1213

The only Star Alliance airlines you can transfer your AMEX points to are Air Canada and Singapore Airlines; you can then use their miles to book on Swiss.

There are some tricks for using Aeroplan miles, but in your case it's pretty straightforward - if you slightly shift your dates :D. While I can't find any flights on Swiss exactly matching the above flights, I did find this on Oct.21-Nov 5:

DEPARTUREMiami (MIA) Florence Peretola (FLR)Wed Oct 21, 2015

Swiss LX65

Departs : Wed. Oct 2119:40Miami (MIA)

Arrives : Thu. Oct 2211:00Zurich (ZRH)

Flight Duration : 9h 20 min

ECONOMY

Class XAirbus A330-300Complimentary meal

Change plane in ZurichTime to connect : 1h 50 min

Swiss LX1674 Operated by SWISS EUROPEAN AIR LINES

Departs : Thu. Oct 2212:50Zurich (ZRH)

Arrives : Thu. Oct 2214:05Florence Peretola (FLR)

Flight Duration : 1h 15 min

ECONOMY

Class XAR1Meal Not available

Total travel time : 12h 25min

RETURNFlorence Peretola (FLR) Miami (MIA)Thu Nov 5, 2015

Swiss LX1679 Operated by SWISS EUROPEAN AIR LINES

Departs : Thu. Nov 509:50Florence Peretola (FLR)

Arrives : Thu. Nov 511:10Zurich (ZRH)

Flight Duration : 1h 20 min

ECONOMY

Class XAR1Meal Not available

Change plane in ZurichTime to connect : 2h 05 min

Swiss LX64

Departs : Thu. Nov 513:15Zurich (ZRH)

Arrives : Thu. Nov 518:00Miami (MIA)

Flight Duration : 10h 45 min

ECONOMY

Class XAirbus A330-300Complimentary meal

Total travel time : 14h 10min

Cost: 60,000 miles + CA$146.80.

thankyou. the miles and more program has still not replied to me so am wanting to make sure i am understanding this. i can go to canada air and apply for a freq flyer/mileage account. then so to swiss/luftansa and use those miles with the canada air account to book the ticket? is there a special area i need to go to or just go to the "book using rewards" area? again thanks for digging around for me. i am learning alot these past few days!

There are so many reasons;

• European airports are 100% designed for international connections, whereas in all cases in the USA you'll need clear customs immigration at the 1st your stop in the USA.
  • The USA have have incredibly slow customs and immigration compared with almost every other country.
  • Two of the US' major ports of entries [JFK and LAX] are airports with a huge number of terminal buildings, and it almost always requires a switch between terminals.
  • European consumer protection laws are better than the US ones in the case of cancellations, involuntary denied boarding etc etc

ok. thanks. having only flown to europe 2x (once was nonstop both ways) did not realize all of this. :)

Given the existence of the JBA, would it be viable to do more of the trans-Atlantics on BA? A T5-T5 connection would be much less painful.
Indeed, but my SWUs would be worthless, assuming I resume flying enough to earn some more. (Currently grounded, future murky.)

thankyou. the miles and more program has still not replied to me so am wanting to make sure i am understanding this. i can go to canada air and apply for a freq flyer/mileage account. then so to swiss/luftansa and use those miles with the canada air account to book the ticket? is there a special area i need to go to or just go to the "book using rewards" area? again thanks for digging around for me. i am learning alot these past few days!

Miles and More isn't listed by AMEX as a transfer partner, so I doubt you'll get anywhere with them.

The above was taken directly from the Aeroplan website, fully bookable (or at least it was yesterday ;)) Register for an Aeroplan account, check under Use Your Miles - Travel that the flight you want is available, then initiate the points transfer via AMEX (which you should also be able to do online), and once the miles have hit your account, book.

Note that if you need a few more miles, TD Bank is now offering a US-based Aeroplan Visa card with a 25,000-mile bonus.

As I said, there are some tricks to using Aeroplan, most of which you won't need to concern yourself with this simple booking, but I will talk a bit about the whole fuel surcharge issue. Aeroplan charges fuel surcharges on tickets from some airlines but not others, so it's important to know which ones and look for their flights. In your case, going to Europe:

-Airlines without fuel surcharges: Swiss, United, Brussels, Turkish (and I'll add LOT who have low fuel surcharges);

-Airlines with fuel surcharges: Lufthansa, Air Canada, Austrian.

So, if you stick with Swiss you're good.

Edited by Twickenham

I think i found a plan and flights that work. Going thru United Airlines i found both a reward ticket available and a cash ticket that i can purchase for same flights. (one operated by lufthansa connects in FRA but has 3 1/2 hr layover so safe. the return is operated by Swiss Air and connects in Zur with 2hr layover) Sounds good but here comes the question. On the regular cash ticket(outbound) the flight number is listed as a United Airlines flight and says operated by Luftansa. On the award ticket even though is same flight it has a totally different flight number and is listed as a Luftansa flight. I am aware that both flights are operated by Luftansa but if there is a problem with missed connections or otherwise will the tickets be treated differently? I recall some posts about this subject but dont know if it applies here. Also i dont see where it lists a fuel surcharge for the Luftansa leg of the flight that twickenham mentioned?

The second question i have is about the carryons. United's site computes the standard 22" carryon into cm

which equals 22x35x56 Luftansa and Swiss Air both say size has to be no larger than 23x40x55? this would make the standard carryon 1 cm too big? Am i reading incorrectly? Again many thanks for helping me to get this point. :)

I think i found a plan and flights that work. Going thru United Airlines i found both a reward ticket available and a cash ticket that i can purchase for same flights. (one operated by lufthansa connects in FRA but has 3 1/2 hr layover so safe. the return is operated by Swiss Air and connects in Zur with 2hr layover) Sounds good but here comes the question. On the regular cash ticket(outbound) the flight number is listed as a United Airlines flight and says operated by Luftansa. On the award ticket even though is same flight it has a totally different flight number and is listed as a Luftansa flight. I am aware that both flights are operated by Luftansa but if there is a problem with missed connections or otherwise will the tickets be treated differently? I recall some posts about this subject but dont know if it applies here. Also i dont see where it lists a fuel surcharge for the Luftansa leg of the flight that twickenham mentioned?

The fuel surcharge issue is only if you use Aeroplan miles - if you go thru United, there is no fuel surcharge on any rewards tickets. However, do you have United miles? Because if you're still counting on using your AMEX points, they can't, AFAIK, be transferred to United.

I think the only issue re: codeshare is you might be re-routed onto different flights, as your reservations won't be linked.

The fuel surcharge issue is only if you use Aeroplan miles - if you go thru United, there is no fuel surcharge on any rewards tickets. However, do you have United miles? Because if you're still counting on using your AMEX points, they can't, AFAIK, be transferred to United.

I think the only issue re: codeshare is you might be re-routed onto different flights, as your reservations won't be linked.

What?? Why cant amex points be transferred to United? and what is AFAIK? In regard to the codeshare that would be the one NOT marked as a United flight correct?

Thanks once again.

What?? Why cant amex points be transferred to United? and what is AFAIK? In regard to the codeshare that would be the one NOT marked as a United flight correct?

Thanks once again.

As mentioned earlier on in this thread, the airline partners you can transfer AMEX points to are listed here: http://www.membershiprewards.com/catalog/travel/NewPointsTransfer.aspx?intlink=TravelMRtab2011BasicTransferNow. United is not listed as a partner, thus if you want to fly with them or any other Star Alliance airline, you need to transfer your points to Aeroplan, Ana Mileage Club or Singapore Airlines Krisflyer.

Codeshare: when an airline puts their number on another airline's flight - United flight XXX operated by Lufthansa - flight is with Lufthansa, with a United codeshare.

How many AMEX points are you working with? Do you know that you couldn't get enough Aeroplan miles to get 2 free tickets?

As mentioned earlier on in this thread, the airline partners you can transfer AMEX points to are listed here: http://www.membershiprewards.com/catalog/travel/NewPointsTransfer.aspx?intlink=TravelMRtab2011BasicTransferNow. United is not listed as a partner, thus if you want to fly with them or any other Star Alliance airline, you need to transfer your points to Aeroplan, Ana Mileage Club or Singapore Airlines Krisflyer.

Codeshare: when an airline puts their number on another airline's flight - United flight XXX operated by Lufthansa - flight is with Lufthansa, with a United codeshare.

How many AMEX points are you working with? Do you know that you couldn't get enough Aeroplan miles to get 2 free tickets?

I obviously know much less than i think i do :rolleyes: Never even gave a thought that United would not be part of Amex rewards.:o I know nothing about aeroplan at all. They were having a problem with their site the other day when i tried to access it. I am working with 70,000 miles. Normally it is 60,000 for one roundtrip ticket....thankyou for your patience and efforts to help me.

Never even gave a thought that United would not be part of Amex rewards.

I have to say, it suprised me too...

I know nothing about aeroplan at all. They were having a problem with their site the other day when i tried to access it. I am working with 70,000 miles. Normally it is 60,000 for one roundtrip ticket.

How to put this kindly... The Aeroplan website is, well, 20th Century, to be honest (seriously, I can't remember them doing a major redesign, and I've been a member for over 20 years). It was down earlier this week, but should be working now.

It's always problematic to try and reserve paid and rewards tickets on the same flight, so I'm going to suggest something that could work for you. With Aeroplan, you can purchase up to 50 % of the miles needed for a reward. for 3 cents a mile. Now, buying 50,000 miles would be a little steep, however TD Bank has just come out with a US-based Aeroplan Visa card, which is offering a 25,000 mile sign-up bonus if you charge $1,000 within the first 3 months (http://www.tdbank.com/personalcreditcard/aeroplan.html). That leaves you with just 24,000 miles to purchase, which would cost $720, which should give you a total cost comparable to just buying the ticket, but would ensure that you were on the same flight as well as having both tickets on the same reservation.

thankyou for your patience and efforts to help me.

No problem! Always happy to help others travel...:D

We have all but stopped using the Aeroplan card. The points just do not have the value. The surcharges are too high. The only out is to use them for United flights.

We used to use them for Lufthansa flights but that avenue was closed. For a transatlantic flight, Aeorplan adds anywhere from $200-$250 fuel surcharge, EACH way, to the admin charge.

There is value IF you are getting a business class award ticket. Just be aware that the admin charges on a business class award seat are actually higher than the admin charges on an economy seat on the same flight, same day. But getting a business class Aeroplan award seat is a challenge. Especially if you have multiple stops.

We are using our remaining Aeroplan points for a short haul flight that has very high air fares.

We have all but stopped using the Aeroplan card. The points just do not have the value. The surcharges are too high. The only out is to use them for United flights.

We used to use them for Lufthansa flights but that avenue was closed. For a transatlantic flight, Aeorplan adds anywhere from $200-$250 fuel surcharge, EACH way, to the admin charge. I have been told by an Aeroplan employee that Aeroplan is working 'feverishly' to fix the United 'hole' to enable Aeroplan to charge these same fees on United ticket awards.

There is value IF you are getting a business class award ticket. Just be aware that the admin charges on a business class award seat are actually higher than the admin charges on an economy seat on the same flight, same day. But getting a business class Aeroplan award seat is a challenge. Especially if you have multiple stops.

We are using our remaining Aeroplan points for a short haul flight that has very high air fares.

We used to use them for Lufthansa flights but that avenue was closed. For a transatlantic flight, Aeorplan adds anywhere from $200-$250 fuel surcharge, EACH way, to the admin charge. I have been told by an Aeroplan employee that Aeroplan is working 'feverishly' to fix the United 'hole' to enable Aeroplan to charge these same fees on United ticket awards.

The whole trick with Aeroplan is to know how to use them. Economy tickets on Air Canada or Lufthansa to Europe are pretty much the worst value possible - your 'free' ticket will usually cost only $200-300 less than actually purchasing a revenue ticket. However, try pricing out a business class ticket on Swiss or Turkish Airlines - less than $100 in taxes and fees each way. We flew Turkish last summer ZRH-IST-YYZ, and will be flying Swiss BRU-ZRH-YUL home from Europe in a couple of weeks after our QM2 crossing - each ticket had taxes in the $60-70 range (and the availability in Business on Turkish from YUL is very good, although they only fly the route 3 times a week). Of course, those 15,000-mile short-haul rewards are a very good deal as well.

Each program has its pluses and minuses. You simply have to determine what your goal is, and figure out the best way to get there. :)

wow. it seems i am at an impass to try to get an awards ticket with the amex miles. i noticed on twickenhams link of what airlines amex points can be transferred to that jet blue was one. luftansa is one of their partners. i searched both luftansa and jetblues sites to see if i could transfer my amex points into my jetblue account and then book a luftansa award ticket but couldnot find the info. i did email jetblue and will see if they reply. i am at the point where i think i will just have to forget the free ticket and bite the bullet and pay for both tickets. :rolleyes: thanks again to all for their input and advise.

i am at the point where i think i will just have to forget the free ticket and bite the bullet and pay for both tickets. :rolleyes: thanks again to all for their input and advise.[/color]

Is there any reason the Swiss flights I posted earlier wouldn't work?

its not the flights themselves but booking the 2 tickets with award miles so that they have the same flight numbers. applying for the credit card and then waiting the month once i get it to charge the $1000.......dont know if the award tickets will still be available by then for both tickets?

its not the flights themselves but booking the 2 tickets with award miles so that they have the same flight numbers. applying for the credit card and then waiting the month once i get it to charge the $1000.......dont know if the award tickets will still be available by then for both tickets?
If you're starting from scratch now, and you don't even yet have the credit card you need, then you shouldn't expect award seats still to be available in six to eight weeks' time (or more), which is what it might take for you to have everything in order. You might be lucky and find that they still are - but what would you do if they've gone by then? Would you feel you'd wasted the time and effort spent on getting those miles? What would you do with the miles instead?

My personal number one rule about getting award tickets is that if the seats are available today, I should expect them to be gone by tomorrow morning. In fact, for the last award ticket I booked, I literally watched someone else grab them from under my nose while I was lining up the whole of the itinerary, about 10 minutes before I was ready to pick up the phone;

If you're starting from scratch now, and you don't even yet have the credit card you need, then you shouldn't expect award seats still to be available in six to eight weeks' time (or more), which is what it might take for you to have everything in order. You might be lucky and find that they still are - but what would you do if they've gone by then? Would you feel you'd wasted the time and effort spent on getting those miles? What would you do with the miles instead?

My personal number one rule about getting award tickets is that if the seats are available today, I should expect them to be gone by tomorrow morning. In fact, for the last award ticket I booked, I literally watched someone else grab them from under my nose while I was lining up the whole of the itinerary, about 10 minutes before I was ready to pick up the phone;

This is exactly where i am coming from. Am not one to give up easily but yes feel like i would probably be wasting my time trying to wait for the credit card. Only other choice is to follow twickenhams advise and try opening an aeroplan acct to deposit my amex rewards miles into and book one ticket on swiss. Then hopefully be lucky enough to be able to purchase a cash ticket for same flight. Its this or pay cash for both tickets.......