Daughter can't go!

lizziez00

Is there really a downside to telling them at check in that my daughter will not be joining us on our cruise? (as opposed to just letting her be a no show and not saying anything)

Is insurance involved (is she cancelling for a covered reason?)?

If insurance not involved, then you should be OK with a no-show, in which case she should get back Gov't Fees & Taxes and any pre-paid gratuities; I'd first confirm this with your booking agent.

If insurance is involved, I'm sure you'll find that all "cancellation coverage" requires that you Cancel in order to make a claim. I'd call the insurer's 800 number to discuss the specifics.

ken

Edited by Ken076

Is there really a downside to telling them at check in that my daughter will not be joining us on our cruise? (as opposed to just letting her be a no show and not saying anything)

You are better off letting daughter be a no-show and not telling Carnival. If you tell Carnival, you are subject to the person that was supposed to be sharing the cabin with your daughter being charged another 100% of cruise fare as a single supplement (on top of what everyone has already paid).

Is the person who was supposed to share the cabin with her old enough to stay in the cabin alone according to Carnival's rules?

Edited by winddawn

Whoa!! You'd better clarify what exactly you are advising:eek:

OP is sailing in 14 days. If she has insurance she needs to cancel the daughter in order to collect the insurance. Having daughter as a no show she will not be able to put in for her money.

Even with an outside insurance company the person needs to be cancelled in order to make a claim.

(and it MUSt be a claimable reason)

You are better off letting daughter be a no-show and not telling Carnival. If you tell Carnival, you are subject to the person that was supposed to be sharing the cabin with your daughter being charged another 100% of cruise fare as a single supplement (on top of what everyone has already paid).

Is the person who was supposed to share the cabin with her old enough to stay in the cabin alone according to Carnival's rules?

not this late in the game== OP is sailing in 14 days.

BUt good question re the person sharing her cabin-- that person will need to be 21 or over

I had a triple booked, and ended up going as a single. I called my PVP. She refunded the third fare, and told me they could do anname swap for pax #2. This is before ES, and was a Monday before a Thursday sailing.

Can't say this is the norm, but had I just gone as a no show, I would not have gotten a refund.

Is this an extended family cruise? You list it as grandson's first cruise...Is this daughter the mom of the grandson? EM

Yes she is...I am taking my younger daughter and grandson but his mom has to work now.

I already have all of the notary stuff done for me to take him alone :)

Is insurance involved (is she cancelling for a covered reason?)?

If insurance not involved, then you should be OK with a no-show, in which case she should get back Gov't Fees & Taxes and any pre-paid gratuities; I'd first confirm this with your booking agent.

If insurance is involved, I'm sure you'll find that all "cancellation coverage" requires that you Cancel in order to make a claim. I'd call the insurer's 800 number to discuss the specifics.

ken

We did NOT bother with insurance this time because I knew her cruise fair was only $180 (for the fourth person in a room....this is the only time we have not done 2 rooms so it was not THAT big of a deal)

I was fine with just having that extra space/bed.

I just don't want them calling my name over the PA looking for her! lol

No second cabin....we just did 4 in a balcony (for the first time because I kind of had an idea she was going to have to work at the last sec...)

I had a triple booked, and ended up going as a single. I called my PVP. She refunded the third fare, and told me they could do anname swap for pax #2. This is before ES, and was a Monday before a Thursday sailing.

Can't say this is the norm, but had I just gone as a no show, I would not have gotten a refund.

We have a quad balcony and are now going with three. Booked it myself online... We could take my son (19), but we are flying from WI and at this point his airfare would be wayyyy to much!

(and all he does is meet girls and Im not sure I want to finance that one again!!! ) I just didn't know if I should just not say anything at all (and just say gee...I don't know where she is! ) or tell them at check in.

I know there have been differing opinions on this site based on circumstances. Just want to do whatever is easier and won't cause a huge issue :)

Edited by lizziez00

This is what my friend did. She did not cancel his part and left her son as a no show. He decided at the last second - he didn't want to take off work. Carnival did not call him over the pa system either.

Maybe op will call and see what her pvp or 800 carnival says. Everything is always changing.

Anyway with so many sales doing away with single supplement - maybe she can get some credit back.

Edited by tbbtravels

This is what my friend did. She did not cancel his part and left her son as a no show. He decided at the last second - he didn't want to take off work. Carnival did not call him over the pa system either.

Maybe op will call and see what her pvp or 800 carnival says. Everything is always changing.

Anyway with so many sales doing away with single supplement - maybe she can get some credit back.

There is no single supplement... There are just 3 of us going in a 4 person balcony.

ARe you sure a " no show" will get a refund for the port fees and taxes? I'm thinking that the person who booked the cruise will probably have to pay the gratuities for the no-show. I may be wrong.

A no show does not have to pay gratuities, she wasn't even there. The port fees and taxes get refunded to the cc they were charged to.

When I went on my "divorce" cruise, I told them my "ex" wasn't coming and they said "OK" and refunded the port fees.... they don't care, they already got the fare.

The taxes were not refunded, just the port fees.

Edited by poison7fl