Rerouted due weather - Compensation ??

downundermatt

......now if you had sailed on a Royal Caribbean ship a "Diamond" member could have waved their arms and ensured good weather......they really are "special"....if you don't believe me just ask them................

Now thats funny thank you;)

No, it is over my cruise week ( Nov. 23) of the same scheduled ports was treated differently from the 2 after. (December 7th and 21st)It is the principal. I said so in my first post here. No one likes it when others are treated better than they were. That is all. If none of us were given an $100 onboard credit it would have been different. Yes, I would have been upset, but a month later, now, I would have gotten over it. I guess until it happens to you, it will be hard for you to relate.

So the problem is not so much about how you were treated, but about the fact that other people, in other circumstances, got something you did not get?

I suppose you would be happier if they had gotten nothing. I am not sure I can subscribe to that thought pattern.

So the problem is not so much about how you were treated, but about the fact that other people, in other circumstances, got something you did not get?

I suppose you would be happier if they had gotten nothing. I am not sure I can subscribe to that thought pattern.

Reminds me of when I was four or five and would throw a tantrum if I thought my brother got a slightly bigger piece of cake than I did. Fortunately, I outgrew such petulant behavior a very long time ago.

i-dont-wanna.jpg

Edited by sloopsailor

No, if I felt that way I am sure I could call and complain and make a big fuss and Celebrity would give me something but I would not find that fair to my other November 23rd, 2014 Celebrity Silhouette PAX. My husband said we should and I said no, Celebrity should treat all from the November 23rd cruise PAX the same, not just those who make a big fuss.

BTW I learned how we were treated differently here at CC. A person on the December 7th cruise posted a thread on the Celebrity board complaining Celebrity had treated him unfairly only giving him a $100 onboard credit.

Anyway attack my posts all you want, but bottom line is I doubt I will give Celebrity my business any time soon ( if ever) since this issue has left a bad taste in my mouth and they had been my favorite cruise line although anyone can see from my profile I am not a loyalist since I have cruised other lines several times also.

I am sorry if that bothers anyone but I have just as much a right to post my opinion and my grievances as anyone else. I have also done many glowing posts of Celebrity and other lines in the past when it was deserved I do hope you enjoy your Celebrity cruises in the future and they do not treat you unfairly.

Like I said - all this anger and emotion over a measly $100 that someone else got that you didn't? Personally, I would rather focus on the enjoyment I had on my cruise and would have let this go a long time ago. I guess some people need to be upset about something to be happy. :(

Are you as upset that some people might have gotten a better price for their cruise than you did? Do you get equally upset that some people on the plane you flew on to get to your cruise probably paid less than you did for the same flight? How about people who get senior, military or employee discounts? Do you get upset about that as well? After all, in all of these cases, other people were "treated better" than you were.

And to answer your question, yes, I have been treated differently than others - and have lived to tell about it. On the first cruise on every cruise line I have ever been on, there were people who were being given loyalty benefits that I wasn't being given. I guess I should refuse to cruise all cruise lines out there because other people would be "treated better" than me. :rolleyes:

Maybe OP needs to read Animal Farm and learn how the world really works.:eek::D

I have read most of the posts, but not all, so I may not have seen it.

I believe there is a difference between what "could" be done, what "should" have been done and what "must" be done.

Celebrity "could" have given everyone on board a free cruise and $50,000 USD to compensate them. That might have made the OP feel better but of course Celebrity would go out of business very quickly. AND there would have been a post from someone want MORE!

What they "should" have done is subjective. Many posters are of the opinion celebrity should not have done anything other than they did. OP obviously has a different opinion and no one wins in this argument because it is subjective. Sort of like politics. The Dems are right ---- No the republicans are right! Who the heck knows! We vote and some years the republicans win big while in other years the Democrats win big.

And of course the easy one is what must be done. The cruise contract rules! It says you get squat. Think of like if the cruise got to NY on time. You were in a cab heading to meet your friends and relatives. I am driving my car and hit your cab. Everyone in the cab ends up in the hospital unconscious for a week. You wake up and sue me. I must pay your medical bills, pain and suffering etc, but I do not have to compensate you for missing the shows or not seeing your family.

OP may not like the system, but they MUST know, EVERY cruise line is going to do the same thing. It is not like Carnival was going to give you thousands in compensation and Celebrity was simply being cheap.

Edited by dadroy

In my friend's case who was on RCI Mariner of the Seas in September 2004 right after Jeanne, they didn't becasue they had been so shaken by the weather they was not so sure they wanted to cruise again. When they did take a cruise again 3 years later in January 2008, guess what they picked RCI, becasue as they said RCI treated them right.

There's an ongoing thread on the Royal Caribbean board about not being treated equally with a number of posters saying they will not cruise Royal again as a result.;)

I imagine if someone wanted to take the time and search around, something similar could be found on most of the lines. My memory could be wrong but I think I've seen such threads on HAL and Oceania.

I found that the poster was merely asking the question of whether there would be any compensation rather than demanding that compensation must be paid.

I know on my recent cruise om Sun Princess over Christmas we skipped a port because it was too rough to tender and got back $4.30 each in port fees. I put it towards a Gin and Tonic. :D

I found that the poster was merely asking the question of whether there would be any compensation rather than demanding that compensation must be paid.

I know on my recent cruise om Sun Princess over Christmas we skipped a port because it was too rough to tender and got back $4.30 each in port fees. I put it towards a Gin and Tonic. :D

Yes, you are correct but this thread has taken a different turn with a another set of circumstances being brought up.

I did not say I would never take a cruise with Celebrity. I said I doubt would any time soon if ever.

Heart is right about one thing. Right now I am just disappointed in cruising period,as all the lines seem to be lowering their initial fares to get you to book, then serving mediocre food so you will want to spend extra on specialties. Plus they have hiked up prices all the pay extra things. for example a cappuccino, espresso with steamed milk,no flavoring,no liquor is now $5.50 plus 15% tip. Lol! and many complain that Starbucks is high!

My issue (as Heart said is not the Op"s)had nothing to do with weather issues. It was do to their blaming a propulsion problem on weather issues that I did not like.

Someone told me I sounded like a child. Well maybe they work for Celebrity since Celebrity treated us like like children in not telling us the truth. They seemed to forget that even grade school children can do the math on how far at ship can get on 17 knots an hour.

Someone told me I sounded like a child. Well maybe they work for Celebrity since Celebrity treated us like like children in not telling us the truth. They seemed to forget that even grade school children can do the math on how far at ship can get on 17 knots an hour.

I am that person. Believe me, I don't work for Celebrity. If I did, I would be getting the benefit of employee discounts when I cruise with them instead of paying "civilian" prices.

However, I do live in the real world and find that too many people have an overblown entitlement attitude. If this comment also offends you, then I guess it means that you are one of those people. :rolleyes:

Me, I don't rant and rave, and go on and on about minor disappointments. There is too much positive in the world to focus on than to obsess on silly little things.

The-only-way-to-see-grumpy-cat-happy.jpg

Edited by sloopsailor

I am that person. Believe me, I don't work for Celebrity. If I did, I would be getting the benefit of employee discounts when I cruise with them instead of paying "civilian" prices.

However, I do live in the real world and find that too many people have an overblown entitlement attitude. If this comment also offends you, then I guess it means that you are one of those people. :rolleyes:

Me, I don't rant and rave, and go on and on about minor disappointments. There is too much positive in the world to focus on than to obsess on silly little things.

The-only-way-to-see-grumpy-cat-happy.jpg

Grumpy cat! she is actually a very sweet tempered cat and I love her!

Hon I did not really think you worked for Celebrity. it was a joke and was too coincidental to pass over since we had been treated like children.

As I said in previous posts, it as a good many things that bothered me about that cruise. I used to say I would never cruise Carnival again and NCL would be my last choice or a line like them as Celebrity was so much better. But that is no longer true. Perhaps I can have a good time on those lines, as my expectations are lowered. I guess that is what it is, Celebrity from my previous cruises had my expectations much higher. If Celebrity offers an outstanding itinerary/price I may even cruise them again but my expectations will be lowered. I now realize Celebrity is no longer the line I came to love.

Cruising overall ( as Heart indicated whether she realized it or not by what she said about reading where people said they would never cruise other lines)is not what it was in the past. probably we will cruise again at some point but I really do not care which line anymore. I would like to try Oceania that Heart mentioned. Maybe that is what I should do,save up and spend more up front so the experience is better.

Cruising overall ( as Heart indicated whether she realized it or not by what she said about reading where people said they would never cruise other lines)is not what it was in the past. probably we will cruise again at some point but I really do not care which line anymore. I would like to try Oceania that Heart mentioned. Maybe that is what I should do,save up and spend more up front so the experience is better.

Of the four lines we've cruised, Celebrity set the standard for us on our first cruise and it has always been our favorite line. We have not cruised with them in a number of years ....various reasons for the hiatus from them. We've been anxious to get back to them but now you're scaring me.:eek: Need to talk to Lois about this.;):)

Of the four lines we've cruised, Celebrity set the standard for us on our first cruise and it has always been our favorite line. We have not cruised with them in a number of years ....various reasons for the hiatus from them. We've been anxious to get back to them but now you're scaring me.:eek: Need to talk to Lois about this.;):)

Don't let one "grumpy cat" with unrealistic expectations cause you any doubt. There are many thousands of satisfied customers that offset the few complainers. This applies to all cruise lines. If what one person complains about was now the norm, many more than one person would be upset and the cruise lines would be losing so much business that they would go bankrupt. I do not see that happening - because the vast majority of people do not get all wound up over a minor issue.

Although I don't have any upcoming cruises on Celebrity, I would not worry about what one disgruntled person thinks, and would look forward to a cruise on a line that is quite satisfactory for very many people. ;)

Edited by SantaFeFan

Don't let one "grumpy cat" with unrealistic expectations cause you any doubt. There are many thousands of satisfied customers that offset the few complainers. This applies to all cruise lines. If what one person complains about was now the norm, many more than one person would be upset and the cruise lines would be losing so much business that they would go bankrupt. I do not see that happening - because the vast majority of people do not get all wound up over a minor issue.

Although I don't have any upcoming cruises on Celebrity, I would not worry about what one disgruntled person thinks, and would look forward to a cruise on a line that is quite satisfactory for very many people. ;)

Ah yes, you're so right. The Lois, of whom I spoke, sails Celebrity exclusively with tons of cruises and never seems to have any bad experiences.:)

Ah yes, you're so right. The Lois, of whom I spoke, sails Celebrity exclusively with tons of cruises and never seems to have any bad experiences.:)

I know of whom you speak. She writes about minor issues when she encounters them, but doesn't let them control her cruise experiences. It is all about attitude. Go in with a good one, roll with the minor issues when they happen (all cruise lines have a few), and focus on how much enjoyment these cruises provide. If I got all riled up over minor issues, I would go nuts as life is filled with them - on a cruise and at home. A person's happiness is in big part dependent on how they want to feel. If people allows themselves to get upset over small things, they will succeed in being unhappy. If people want to enjoy themselves in spite of minor differences, they will succeed in being happy.

Only one person can allow you to be unhappy - yourself! :D

Edited by SantaFeFan

• 1 month later...

Well I would like to hear Heart's impression if she cruises Celebrity again. Call me Grumpy cat all you want but I was terribly disappointed about the Thanksgiving cruise and it was more than just propulsion problems and missing a port.

I know of whom you speak. She writes about minor issues when she encounters them, but doesn't let them control her cruise experiences. It is all about attitude. Go in with a good one, roll with the minor issues when they happen (all cruise lines have a few), and focus on how much enjoyment these cruises provide. If I got all riled up over minor issues, I would go nuts as life is filled with them - on a cruise and at home. A person's happiness is in big part dependent on how they want to feel. If people allows themselves to get upset over small things, they will succeed in being unhappy. If people want to enjoy themselves in spite of minor differences, they will succeed in being happy.

Only one person can allow you to be unhappy - yourself! :D

I have not seen any posts from Lois lately. She is the kind of person if she can't say anything good she says nothing.

I have not seen any posts from Lois lately. She is the kind of person if she can't say anything good she says nothing.

Just to add insult to your injury over being thrown to the wolves here, a "knot" is a "nautical mile per hour" or measure of speed. A "knot an hour" would be a nautical mile per hour per hour, or a measure of acceleration, but is not a term used to describe anything a ship does. Sorry. :o

I can understand the OP's disappointment, but stuff happens. We did a South American cruise last year, looking forward to "rounding the Horn". I was tracking the barometric pressure as we headed South towards the Horn.

When the captain announced we were not going, we were disappointed, BUT the barometric pressure when we turned back was 28.5!!!!!! Normal pressure is close to 30 inches. That must have been one heck of a low. There were 100 knot winds and 50 foot seas!

Just to add insult to your injury over being thrown to the wolves here, a "knot" is a "nautical mile per hour" or measure of speed. A "knot an hour" would be a nautical mile per hour per hour, or a measure of acceleration, but is not a term used to describe anything a ship does. Sorry. :o

Lol! things like that hardly matter to me. In fact I like to learn new things. Being told I am not allowed to be disappointed after 23 cruises on 7 lines and knowing when things are good and things are bad as you say "thrown to the wolves"-oh well-I am not saying anything more about that. I believe everyone is entitled to their opinion and if they want to believe I am just being grumpy they are entitled. I can only wonder if they will feel the same way once they cruise this line again. I do think that 123 go promotion thing has ruined what was a good line, but sometimes a person has to experience something to understand.

For the first time in 16 years I have nothing booked nor am I planning to book. I am planning a land trip to Ecuador though, hopefully within the next year maybe Grumpy cat just needs a different scene huh?

I have read the whole thread. One thing I hate about cruise critic is how people jump on people when they say something they don't quite agree with.

It seems if something is happening to someone else it is no big deal. Should Celeb compensate? Probably not. Yet it would it be nice customer service as a gesture of good will if something small could have been offered? Sure things go wrong and not always cruise line fault.

Yet OP was obviously upset as she missed out on seeing family and shows etc etc. Shame people always jump on people on this site.

Edited by Tark

I have read the whole thread. One thing I hate about cruise critic is how people jump on people when they say something they don't quite agree with.

It seems if something is happening to someone else it is no big deal. Should Celeb compensate? Probably not. Yet it would it be nice customer service as a gesture of good will if something small could have been offered? Sure things go wrong and not always cruise line fault.

Yet OP was obviously upset as she missed out on seeing family and shows etc etc. Shame people always jump on people on this site.

I think the point that people were making about the OP (who I think is a man and not the others posting here in the last few posts) was that he had made plans to meet up with family while in a port stop (unless I'm reading that wrong). As many of us know, it's better not to make those kind of plans for specific events (family reunions, weddings, etc.) for a port stop which can always get missed. That's the kind of plans to make for before or after a cruise, allowing time (a day or two if it's in a different area) for getting to your ship or return flight.