photo transfer

hawkshoe

On all of NCL's ships, none of the ports are accessible on the computers in the Internet Cafe, so you won't be able to transfer your photos that way. In the photo shop, they used to offer a service where you could have your photos burned to a CD. Not sure if that's still available. My advice is to simply buy an extra memory card since they're fairly inexpensive nowadays.

On all of NCL's ships, none of the ports are accessible on the computers in the Internet Cafe, so you won't be able to transfer your photos that way. In the photo shop, they used to offer a service where you could have your photos burned to a CD. Not sure if that's still available. My advice is to simply buy an extra memory card since they're fairly inexpensive nowadays.

Thanks for your input. I do have an extra memory card. Quite frankly, I was more worried about losing pictures if my camera got stolen and wanted to download each days photos Just in case. I know it is unlikely but I would be devastated if that happened. I can bring my own laptop but don't really want to do that if I don't have to.

A friend of mine bought a cord that connects their camera to their phone so they can transfer pictures between the two. He said it was pretty inexpensive. If you did that, then you could back up the photos with your phone and then when you are off the ship and can access free wifi you could upload them something like shutterfly.

Thanks for your input. I do have an extra memory card. Quite frankly, I was more worried about losing pictures if my camera got stolen and wanted to download each days photos Just in case. I know it is unlikely but I would be devastated if that happened. I can bring my own laptop but don't really want to do that if I don't have to.

We do the same....download off the camera frequently. I have a device that couples it to our iPad and load onto that as a back up. It seems our iPad have replaced our laptop.

What if the memory card or CD get stolen?

What device would that be Roger? Would be very interested! I don't travel with a laptop, just my iPad and would love to download pix onto it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It is this device (Amazon link). However, unless there is a different one available now, it comes with the 30 pin fitting, not the lightning connector. That was fine for our older ipad. However, our newer mini has lightning fitting. I had to then get a 30 pin to lightning converter. Fortunately, I needed it for another application also. Although they are more expensive, I recommend you only get the Apple products. The other cheaper ones usually just don't work. It comes with two devices. One lets you plug your camera in direct. That worked for one of my cameras but wouldn't for the other. However, the second included device lets you just use the camera's memory card, and that seems to be the easiest and quickest way to do it. If you do get one, when it has uploaded to your ipad, it will give you a message asking do you want to now delete all from your camera! Be careful to not answer yes, assuming you don't want to delete.

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-iPad-Camera-Connection-MC531ZM/dp/B003K1EYM6/ref=cm_cr-mr-title

A friend of mine bought a cord that connects their camera to their phone so they can transfer pictures between the two. He said it was pretty inexpensive. If you did that, then you could back up the photos with your phone and then when you are off the ship and can access free wifi you could upload them something like shutterfly.

I will have to look into that option. Thanks.

It is this device (Amazon link). However, unless there is a different one available now, it comes with the 30 pin fitting, not the lightning connector. That was fine for our older ipad. However, our newer mini has lightning fitting. I had to then get a 30 pin to lightning converter. Fortunately, I needed it for another application also. Although they are more expensive, I recommend you only get the Apple products. The other cheaper ones usually just don't work. It comes with two devices. One lets you plug your camera in direct. That worked for one of my cameras but wouldn't for the other. However, the second included device lets you just use the camera's memory card, and that seems to be the easiest and quickest way to do it. If you do get one, when it has uploaded to your ipad, it will give you a message asking do you want to now delete all from your camera! Be careful to not answer yes, assuming you don't want to delete.

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-iPad-Camera-Connection-MC531ZM/dp/B003K1EYM6/ref=cm_cr-mr-title

I like this option. I don't have an ipad though, I have an android tablet. I will check to see if my travel companion has an ipad or maybe there is an android equivalent device.

I like this option. I don't have an ipad though, I have an android tablet. I will check to see if my travel companion has an ipad or maybe there is an android equivalent device.

Doesn't your android tablet have a sd card slot? Many of them do. You may not need an adaptor.

I usually take way more pictures than you would want on your ipad. Buying extra memory cards ($15 for 32gb sd class 10 on amazon) is much easier than toting your computer. I keep them locked in the safe onboard and carry them with me on the plane.

There are also portable devices that use hard drives to backup your sd cards (http://www.hypershop.com/HyperDrive/UDMA-2/) but it will cost a lot more than spare sd cards (but maybe not so much more than having photo department put all pics on CDs?)

While you never want to lose your precious pictures, isn't it a good excuse to go on another cruise?

I usually take way more pictures than you would want on your ipad. Buying extra memory cards ($15 for 32gb sd class 10 on amazon) is much easier than toting your computer. I keep them locked in the safe onboard and carry them with me on the plane.

There are also portable devices that use hard drives to backup your sd cards (http://www.hypershop.com/HyperDrive/UDMA-2/) but it will cost a lot more than spare sd cards (but maybe not so much more than having photo department put all pics on CDs?)

While you never want to lose your precious pictures, isn't it a good excuse to go on another cruise?

I thought about the extra sd cards but quite honestly, that would be costly if I took a new one to each port.

As for an excuse to cruise again, this is a once in a lifetime cruise I am taking so that really isn't an option.