Rotterdam or Ryndam - which is the better choice?

grayjay

We're rather new to HAL - our first cruise will be on "Zaandam" in March 2015 and we're already happy to try a new cruise-line as well as a smaller ship.

Now we're considering a cruise on either the "Ryndam" or the "Rotterdam" in the summer of 2015. The itineraries are identical, the prices are similar. Ryndam is a bit more expensive and the embarkation port (Harwich) is more difficult to reach.

We'll only be able to afford an oceanview stateroom this time: Ryndam's OV's are on decks 4/5, Rotterdam's oceanview cabins are on the lowest decks 1 and 2.

For those who have cruised extensively on HAL ships and ideally on those two ships : which one is preferable? I do know that both are older, on the small side when compared to Celebrity/RCL ships which we know best.

Which is, in your opinion, the better choice in regard to cabins, public space ( as we won't have a private balcony this time) recent or not so recent renovations, overall experience. Every idea is welcome. Thank you for your answers.

Rotterdam is a sister ship to the Zaandam. They are both a little bigger then the Ryndam and they have a center elevator, which I like. The Ryndam was our first Hal cruise ship so I have some sentiments towards her.

I really like the Zaandam but not so much the Rotterdam, don't ask me why, it's just a feeling I have about her. She is considered Hal's flag ship and plenty of people like her just not me. They both have good space and nice size cabins. Rotterdam is newer then the Ryndam. Hal does a nice job of keeping their ships up to date with new soft goods and general maintenance

Although the Ryndam is a little smaller than the Rotterdam, they have a very similar deck plan. You will find your way around just as easily on either ship.

For example, you noted the deck numbers are different for outside cabins on the two ships, but they are on the identical decks---just the numbering system is different; the cabins are on A or Dolphin Deck, and Main Deck. Oh, and there are also outside cabins on Lower Promenade Deck, too (either Deck 6 Ryndam, or Deck 3 Rotterdam). The Rotterdam also has some Lanai cabins on Lower Promenade, so the Ryndam has more public deck chairs out there.

The Rotterdam had its aft pool removed a few years ago, leaving the stern on Navigation Deck and Lido Deck less inviting than the comparable spaces on the Ryndam, imo.

The Ryndam will be leaving the fleet in just less than a year from now. If it were my choice, I would sail the Ryndam while I still can.

She is a beautiful ship, and I have always had a good time on her.

I second Ruth! Her insights are usually spot-on!

Ryndam was our first OV cabin upgrade and loved it, mid-ship on the Main deck. If mid-ship you will have a short walk to the elevator (either fore or aft) but it is a smallish ship and nothing is very far.

We're just off the Maasdam, sister to Ryndam, and had a "partially" obstructed OV (but we had very good view anyway so that wasn't an issue) on Lower Promenade deck, the one with the walk-around deck. I like the OV rooms on that deck because of their proximity to the big outside deck, but bear in mind that OV's on Lower Promenade are a bit shorter and only have a loveseat instead of the full couch you will find in the OVs on Main and Dolphin.

Having the Lanai cabins does limit the availability of deck chairs and that is my favorite spot on the ship, so I'd go for Ryndam. Mostly we prefer to be mid-ship and lower deck for a better ride.

Frankly I can't think of any advantages of Rotterdam, but someone will. Enjoy, m--

The Ryndam is my least favorite ship and the Rotterdam my favorite. I have also sailed on the Veendam, Volendam, Zaandam, Statendam, Ansterdam, Zuiderdam and Oosterdam. (I don't sail on the biggies). I am not sure I can quantify why but I have always felt the Rotterdam a "cut above" the others. She is a lovely lady. I spent 32 days on her last year and 55 this year. Both cruises were my best yet with Holland America. Great captains, excellent hotel managers, and super support staff. I had my worst cruise on the Ryndam but it was a number of years ago. I think you will find that 10 people on the same cruise will give you 10 different opinions so the preceding is just my two cents worth . Enjoy yourself whichever ship you choose!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The lovely Ryndam would be my definite first choice. We have also sailed on the Rotterdam, and though she was spotless and it was a very nice cruise, we felt that it was a bit cold---no cozy feeling at all. The captain at the time we sailed the Ryndam was fantastic, but he has since retired. The Ryndam's crew just can't be beat. I am so sad that she is leaving the fleet this fall. Hoping for one more cruise on her.

You will enjoy either ship, but I vote for the Ryndam. You could plan a cruise on the Rotterdam for next year. Won't have that option with the Ryndam.

Also keep in mind that the Rotterdam is a bilingual ship, with here homeport being Rotterdam. Everything is announced in both English and Dutch, this is because a large amount of the guests will be from Holland, which creates a different atmosphere from what you will find on the other 14 ships!

This is why after two earlier cruises on Rotterdam, we now specifically have chosen Rijndam for the summer, although Rotterdam sails the exact same itinerary, more easily accessible from Rotterdam for us.

To embark on Rijndam, we have to take the ferry over to Harwich, but for us personally, we prefer the extra travel over the whole experience on Rotterdam.

This is not due to the ship itself, nor the excellent crew, but just the atmosphere.