NCL Internet? High Speed? NCL App...

csnarpy

Hi Everyone!

Going on my first NCL cruise on the Epic this March.

I've pretty much sailed on RCCL so I have a couple of minor questions:

1. Does the Epic have high speed internet? (Got used to the Allures speed and wondered if it compared)

2. Is the Messaging feature on the app allow for free chatting on the ship?

3. What about the phone feature on the app?

4. Is there a Chef's Table on the Epic?

(I did try to search out these answers but to no avail)

Edited by csnarpy

If you're talking about the new O3B service on Allure, then Epic can't compare. Epic uses the same old MTN system that most ships use. I used O3B's premium package on Quantum, and it blew everything else out of the water. Blazing fast.

The iConcierge app requires a $7.95 fee for calling and texting. It is not free. I'm not sure how it works on Epic, but it was spotty on Getaway.

Yes, there is a Chef's Table on Epic.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

If you're talking about the new O3B service on Allure, then Epic can't compare. Epic uses the same old MTN system that most ships use. I used O3B's premium package on Quantum, and it blew everything else out of the water. Blazing fast.

The iConcierge app requires a $7.95 fee for calling and texting. It is not free. I'm not sure how it works on Epic, but it was spotty on Getaway.

Yes, there is a Chef's Table on Epic.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks for this. One more question, was the phone just sketchy or both the phone and chat?

Edited by csnarpy

I found the iConcierge app to work quite well on the Epic both for texting and for an off-ship phone call (it took three or four tries to get the connection). Regarding regular internet, early in the morning and near the Internet room side of the atrium "balcony"-- where I found the strongest signal- 54Mbps, the Internet was like 3G phone connection. Elsewhere, it seemed like pre-dial-up speed. I have a screenshot showing 6Mbps, but it didn't seem like that probably due to demand. It also took about 3 minutes to disconnect each time. This was mid-Nov.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Rhea98

Both were sketchy. But that was onboard a different ship almost a year ago. There have been several updates to the app since then. I honestly have no idea how it works today onboard Epic.

We used it on the Epic last January (though just the chat, I think) and it worked well for us.

I usually buy a 100-minute Internet package to send a daily log home and download incoming mail. On our last Transatlantic cruise on the Epic Iin November, I managed to get one email out - after DW and I hiked to a McDonald's in St. Thomas and used their Wi-Fi (I am still sweating). I know for sure that I spent more time at the Wi-Fi desk than anywhere else. The guy at the desk was surrounded by unhappy passengers every time I went down there. He tried hard, but could not get connected. Yes, I did get mu money back. Lesson learned: Don't count on Wi-Fi onboard.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums mobile app

Regarding regular internet, early in the morning and near the Internet room side of the atrium "balcony"-- where I found the strongest signal- 54Mbps, the Internet was like 3G phone connection. Elsewhere, it seemed like pre-dial-up speed. I have a screenshot showing 6Mbps, but it didn't seem like that probably due to demand.

How you see the WiFi connection speed has nothing to do with the speed of the shared satellite connection - that is always the bottle neck regardless of how strong your WiFi connection is.

Technically speaking as long as you can get any WiFi connection, you can have as fast connection out the ship as you would when the WiFi was able to negotiate 54Mbit/s connection. The speed you see only applies to the max speed of your link to the nearest base station, from there on the ship's internal network is at least 100Mbit/s wired connection until it reaches the gateway to the satellite where users are always prioritized (ship functions over passengers) and the maximum rate possible is limited there with the satellite bandwidth anyway.