Port Montego Bay Jamaica Advice from Carnival Cruise Help

KELLYHANK

We are taking our first cruise in October 2015. I really want to spend a romantic time with my husband on the stop in Jamaica. We are renewing our vows on the boat and it is my 50th birthday also. We really don't want to do any of the excursions. I would like to spend some time just walking around, on a quite beach somewhere, maybe some dancing. Since I don't know the area I was wondering what help someone might be able to give us. I am worried about getting in a taxi and just say take me wherever. I hope some of you can help me out. We are taking the Carnival Magic.

We are taking our first cruise in October 2015. I really want to spend a romantic time with my husband on the stop in Jamaica. We are renewing our vows on the boat and it is my 50th birthday also. We really don't want to do any of the excursions. I would like to spend some time just walking around, on a quite beach somewhere, maybe some dancing. Since I don't know the area I was wondering what help someone might be able to give us. I am worried about getting in a taxi and just say take me wherever. I hope some of you can help me out. We are taking the Carnival Magic.

We went zip lining in Montego Bay, some of the others in our group went to a beach, they aren't on CruiseCritic, but I'll ask those that went for their input and add it later if you don't get any other answers.

Edited by Rod in Az

Which other ports are you visiting besides Jamaica? This is my own personal opinion, but I think there are ports more conducive to the atmosphere you're looking for. I don't particularly care for Jamaica though. Maybe someone else knows of a romantic beach or something on Jamaica.

Been to Montego Bay a few times now and I'd never leave the port not on a carnival sponsored excursion. Carnival does an all inclusive beach excursion at a hotel that I'd choose and I'd contact them about a vow renewal. Carnival could possibly set it up too.

I have been to Jamaica many times, and I no longer even do Carnival excursions. The last one I was on took me to what felt like an unsafe area. Now I don't even get off the ship in Jamaica except to go to the building with the shops in the secured port area. Just my take on it.

Sandals sounds perfect for what you're looking for. It is $$$$, though. I believe http://www.resortforaday.com offers day passes. We used them for a different resort in MB last April, and they are very reputable, and most importantly, SAFE. Jamaica gets a bad rap, but we loved it. It's beautiful, and as long as you are doing an excursion through the boat or a reputable outside agency, you will be fine! Have a great cruise!

It's not really what you were looking for but it's really romantic!! Go Rafting on the Martha Brae. Sit side by side with your sweetie while your raft captain slowly poles you down the river, singing songs and telling stories. SUPER Romantic.

martha_brae_bamboo_rafting_excursion_-_www_falmouthcruisetours_com.jpg.3675a64865c1def41dec9307d7ddaee7.jpg

marthabrae_01_large.jpg.1eb275343bc116cfb2ad2d584f504d6a.jpg

We've been to Jamaica several times. It does get a bad rap. Yes, Kingston has some crime problems, but so do L.A. and NYC. If you're on a cruise, you'll only be there during daylight hours. Marijuana is illegal - you won't find druggies hanging on the corners like you see in cities here. Police are all over the tourist areas. The island's economy is based on tourism and everyone wants us to have a good time and come back - and spend our money. Thousands of cruise ship passengers to there every week without incident. We've taken ship sponsored tours (same tours as privately available, but the ship takes a huge cut of the fees) private tours - Liberty, Karandas, etc., have rented cars, and walked all over Ocho Rios and Montego Bay. I feel safer walking in Jamaica then I would in Los Angeles. Stay in the tourist areas, don't flash money, don't wear flashy jewelry, don't leave your bag/camera unattended. In other words, behave as if you were in Las Vegas. Check out the US Customs posts about Jamaica - you'll see the majority of the problems have been in Kingston. Also consider - if anything ever happens to a tourist it is big news, blown way out of proportion by the media. Every ship has 1000+ passengers - dozens of ships every month - no bad news. Then one tourist has a bad experience of some sort and notifies AOL or some other media (sometimes for the $ they'll get) and suddenly an entire nation (Jamaica) and entire population is condemned. The Jamaicans are generally happy, generous, fun people - and they appreciate our business. If you're afraid of Jamaica, you might want to reconsider cruising as your vacation choice.

• 1 month later...

Jamaica is beautiful. Want to be adventurous and have amazing surrounding take a tour to blue hole with liberty tours and Ricardo. On the magic visit the red frog pub, have a Carib beer, Cajun chick peas and listen to the solo entertainment for the night.

Where exactly is Doctors Cave located? Is there an admission to get in? How far away is it from port? Thanks so much. :)

$6 admission, $6 for chairs, $6 for umbrellas but there is some shade. We just used our towels to stake out a spot in the sand, and spent our time either in the water or at the bar. We docked at Falmouth, so used JaiTal to get there, they have buses but we booked a private car for 4 for $35 each which included admission to the beach. Snorkeling was OK, saw some nice coral and a few squid but no big stuff.

Since this is your first cruise, you may wish to stay with a Carnival ship tour. Mystic Mountain with the chair lift through the rain forest, Bob Sled ride down the mountain and Zip line through the forest may offer you a good time while keeping you safe. Carnival has a large vested interest in this property. You can return to the ship when you are ready not on a detailed schedule but do get back before the ship leaves! This is a port not to venture out on your own. I book private tours and have always had a great time. We are looking at Liberty tours for the tubing and blue hole adventure. This might be fun for you as well.