Alaska

jjmsbu09

When would 2016 Alaska sailings go on sale? I want to plan for next spring. Considering other lines too. Anyone have any recommendations for someone who has enjoyed carnival this far? Do you think the Legend will still be in Alaska next year? We loved it out of Tampa!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

My recommendation:

Carnival knows the Caribbean, and they have the most ships, itineraries, and competitive pricing of any cruise line in that region.

However, in Alaska, Carnival is a minor player, with only one ship, a mediocre itinerary, and prices that are many times higher than other cruise lines, simply because of its limited inventory. I would HIGHLY recommend that you look at other cruise lines that have a larger presence in Alaska.

Just like Carnival knows the Caribbean, Holland America and Princess know Alaska. I would start with them. They have the largest number of ships in that region, with the most varied itineraries, amazing pre and post cruise land tours, and most importantly, the most permits to go into Glacier Bay which is a must for someone visiting Alaska for the first time.

Because these cruise lines have so many ships in Alaska, you're more likely to see price drops and sales, specially closer to sailing. Prices may start higher, but at the end you'll walk with a better deal. For example, when we sailed on the Westerdam to go to Alaska, we took advantage of a kids sail free promotion, several price drops, and a complimentary balcony upgrade. By the time it was all said and done, our cruise was a good $1,000 cheaper than Carnival.

Start looking. If I recall correctly, NCL is the first cruise line to release dates in Alaska every season (and they offer Glacier Bay as well as more in depth one way itineraries). All the others will follow shortly. Have fun planning! :)

Edited by Tapi

When would 2016 Alaska sailings go on sale? I want to plan for next spring. Considering other lines too. Anyone have any recommendations for someone who has enjoyed carnival this far? Do you think the Legend will still be in Alaska next year? We loved it out of Tampa!

Alaska 2016 sailing will probably appear around May/2015 and yes in all probability Carnival Legend shall be sailing during that season too.

As for cost and itinerary we had a very low cruise rate and the itinerary could not have been better; see our review below.

Here's something to consider. I cruise with Princess and if someone has prior military service and you own at least 100 shares of Carmival stock you can get OBC for both of them. Princess also cruises out of San Francisco so you don't have to travel as far.

Tom:)

I forgot to mention - the Alaska boards are a huge source of information on planning a great Alaskan cruise - from comparisons between the lines, to weather, packing and excursions. :)

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Forums mobile app

One more thing. If sailing on Holland or Princess, it does pay to shop around. Contrary to Carnival, where the price is basically the same no matter how you book (plus or minus some incentives), the price difference can be HUGE between the cruise line's website and some TA's on Holland and Princess because those cruise lines do allow these TA's to discount their prices. So don't settle for the "website" price.

We sailed on Princess this year and Holland the previous year and we used a TA for both, something that we never do when we sail on Carnival. The savings were substantial both times.

I totally agree with Emperor Norton. I have been on 5 Alaska cruises, 3 of which included Glacier Bay and 2 went to Tracey Arm Fjord. Glacier Bay is magnificent and far superior to Tracy Arm. I love Alaska cruises and will undoubtedly do more of them, but from now on, any Alaska cruise I do has to include Glacier Bay. As mentioned previously, HAL and Princess do Glacier Bay more than other lines. Carnival generally cruises Glacier Bay only on the first and last cruise of the season.

Edited by nwcruiselover

We did HAL Volendam to Alaska in summer 2013 and LOVED IT. I was in Glacier Bay on my birthday. Also, even though it was our first time on HAL, our previous Carnival cruises gave us 1-star Mariner status, so were able to eat in the dining room instead of the buffet on embarkation day, and we were also invited to the past guest lunch and received keepsake ship tiles.

As everyone is saying, keep your options open, and definitely look into HAL.

We have been on 2 Alaska cruise's, both on HAL. Both cruise's I had my kids with me, was worried about cliental and type of ships compared to Carnival, all my kids had known. We had a blast on both ships, had great itenaraies, great passengers and wonderful sights. Hal knows what they are doing and are great at it.