How to travel home from canada

joedebnh

If you live closer to EWR then flying to/from Montreal (YUL) is more practical

several flights a day with AC & UA

Makes sense --- and the to or from Boston leg could be on either Amtrak or by air - but air probably makes the most sense for both legs when you consider getting to/from airport - EWR long term parking for the duration of the cruise might add a bit of cost -- but how many different, time-eating modes of transport do you want?

ontheweb, I see you have a location "Monticello, NY". If you don't require a nonstop, look at Stewart Airport (SWF) in Newburgh. If you want a nonstop, I think the NYC Airports are your closest.

(When I was first hired out of college, they flew me from Sullivan County International airport. A little propeller plane, eight or 10 seats, from MSV to one of the NYC airports. It had a curtain separating the cabin from the cockpit. We hit a rough spot of weather - the plane was bouncing all around the sky. You could various beeps and buzzes and bings coming from the cockpit. DW and I refer to that flight as White Knuckle Express. Sadly, there's no more commercial traffic from MSV.)

ontheweb, I see you have a location "Monticello, NY". If you don't require a nonstop, look at Stewart Airport (SWF) in Newburgh. If you want a nonstop, I think the NYC Airports are your closest.

(When I was first hired out of college, they flew me from Sullivan County International airport. A little propeller plane, eight or 10 seats, from MSV to one of the NYC airports. It had a curtain separating the cabin from the cockpit. We hit a rough spot of weather - the plane was bouncing all around the sky. You could various beeps and buzzes and bings coming from the cockpit. DW and I refer to that flight as White Knuckle Express. Sadly, there's no more commercial traffic from MSV.)

Yes, we're in Monticello, NY, and there are no longer any flights from our county airport. (I think it is international because the geese come from Canada.)

Whenever we have looked at Stewart in the past, the fares have been ridiculously higher than the NY metropolitan airports. Otherwise, we would love to fly from there and save on gas, tolls, and parking. Also, flights have had ridiculous routes, such as going to Florida by way of Detroit.

If you live closer to EWR then flying to/from Montreal (YUL) is more practical

several flights a day with AC & UA

I'm not sure we are closer to Newark than La Guardia or JFK, but it is a much easier drive with less tolls and cheaper parking.

We have flown to cruises from all 3 of those airports.

I'm not sure we are closer to Newark than La Guardia or JFK, but it is a much easier drive with less tolls and cheaper parking.

We have flown to cruises from all 3 of those airports.

I use EWR

from your post above

Of the three Metropolitan airports, Newark is actually the most convenient for us (despite we live in NY State.)

Pick the airport that works for you then look at flights

I like to use http://matrix.itasoftware.com/ to find the routing that work best for me then I can check the airline to use

Edited by LHT28

Another thing to think about is taking ViaRail from Montreal to Toronto, tour Toronto for a couple of days, and then fly from Toronto. Porter has nonstops between Newark and Toronto (YTZ). I see ViaRail Escape fares for CAN$51.

We like to amortize the airfare over as much vacation as we can. After our upcoming cruise we're going to go from Montreal to Niagara Falls and spend a few days there. Then back to Toronto and onto a plane.

I give those possibly less independent folks lots of credit. They could have much more easily stayed home. We all look for and want something different from our travels. If have a guide gives some folks the confidence to leave home then good for them. No matter their style or method they are broadening their horizons at a comfort level that suits them. I hate for anyone to be criticized or mocked for that.

We all make our own choices and only we know why or what is best for us.

This is very nicely put and should be mandatory reading when you join cc.:)