Great Stirrup Cay question

SissasMomE

I booked a small Cabana for my Oct 19, 2015 cruise on the Sky. It was $199. DH and I decided to book it after reading all the posts and seeing the pictures. We can't wait to go! His first cruise and my second. :)

Welcome to CC and you will definitely enjoy GSC and the small cabana! Did you checked out the mouthwatering food menu for your $50 credit? :)

If you look at the photo below of a small cabana, the 4 loungers are in the back along the wall. The mini-fridge is in the middle. Of course, the loungers can be moved to the front of the cabana, if desired. They're a bit heavy and are not meant to be moved onto the beach. If you want to lounge on the beach, you should use the existing beach chairs.

16454936795_bf5b622274.jpg

Another member kindly posted a recent menu: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=45433270&postcount=5

Since you'll already have the UBP, maybe you'll want to order some food. But remember that the lunch buffet at the beach is complimentary. Or you could maybe order the 12 bottles of beer (whereas your UBP would only provide single bottles at a time). You'll be instructed to turn in your order the evening before your day at GSC, so it can be prepared in a timely manner.

Also please remember that this $50 credit is non-refundable, so whatever you don't use up will be lost. Personally I wish the $50 food/drink credit would be an optional part of the cabana cost. I used it to order sushi and a bottle of wine. But I would have been satisfied with the buffet food and with just ordering drinks individually (I didn't have the UBP).

My family and I ordered two charcuterie platters thinking "serves two" would give us plenty of delicious snacking all day.

OMG. Mid-morning, a tractor pulling a trailer appeared and the beach staff unloaded food enough for 20 people! It would not all fit on the 4-seater table. We could NOT stop laughing.

We spent the day lounging, grazing, sunning, grazing, walking/swimming, grazing and inviting others to stop in to our cabana for food and water.

If you look at the photo below of a small cabana, the 4 loungers are in the back along the wall. The mini-fridge is in the middle. Of course, the loungers can be moved to the front of the cabana, if desired. They're a bit heavy and are not meant to be moved onto the beach. If you want to lounge on the beach, you should use the existing beach chairs.

16454936795_bf5b622274.jpg

Another member kindly posted a recent menu: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=45433270&postcount=5

Since you'll already have the UBP, maybe you'll want to order some food. But remember that the lunch buffet at the beach is complimentary. Or you could maybe order the 12 bottles of beer (whereas your UBP would only provide single bottles at a time). You'll be instructed to turn in your order the evening before your day at GSC, so it can be prepared in a timely manner.

Also please remember that this $50 credit is non-refundable, so whatever you don't use up will be lost. Personally I wish the $50 food/drink credit would be an optional part of the cabana cost. I used it to order sushi and a bottle of wine. But I would have been satisfied with the buffet food and with just ordering drinks individually (I didn't have the UBP).

Things might have changed since last August, but we had a small cabana and since we did not have the UBP, we just ordered some beers and cocktails during the day. Between the 3 of us, it only came to about $30+ because we didn't realize the bar was gonna close early so we never got a final round of drinks. When we got on board however, we had a $50 credit applied to our bill regardless. Maybe we just got lucky, but ordering food and drinks could have been potentially optional in our situation!

Things might have changed since last August, but we had a small cabana and since we did not have the UBP, we just ordered some beers and cocktails during the day. Between the 3 of us, it only came to about $30+ because we didn't realize the bar was gonna close early so we never got a final round of drinks. When we got on board however, we had a $50 credit applied to our bill regardless. Maybe we just got lucky, but ordering food and drinks could have been potentially optional in our situation!

We will be ordering food. I'm not big on buffet style BBQ!

Welcome to CC and you will definitely enjoy GSC and the small cabana! Did you checked out the mouthwatering food menu for your $50 credit? :)

Thank you! No I haven't seen the menu yet. I do have UBP so the credit will be used on food for sure. I don't want to lose it!

The most accurate way to find out the pricing on the cabanas is to call the shore excursion phone number. Different ships at different times are different prices. I booked a small cabana for November when the Escape stops there and it ran me $299. But with my parents going, I know it'll be worth it!

The most accurate way to find out the pricing on the cabanas is to call the shore excursion phone number. Different ships at different times are different prices. I booked a small cabana for November when the Escape stops there and it ran me $299. But with my parents going, I know it'll be worth it!

The small cabanas are $349 for that sailing. How did you get it for $299?

Can anyone else give feedback on the food? I've seen the menus, but would like to hear what's good or not. Are the lobster tails big or are they shrimpy sized, are the meats yummy in the platter, etc.

The food was excellent!! All of the salsas were fresh made and very, very good. We had charcuterie platter and were very pleased with it. We didn't even go to the buffet

Edited by soaringfalcon
clarity

The food was excellent!! All of the salsas were fresh made and very, very good. We had charcuterie platter and were very pleased with it. We didn't even go to the buffet

Ok...I have to ask. What exactly is a charcuterie platter? I hope this isn't a dumb question. :) Thanks!

Ok...I have to ask. What exactly is a charcuterie platter? I hope this isn't a dumb question. :) Thanks!

Not dumb! I don't think it's a term used widely. Essentially it was a collection of different lunch meats, cheeses, artichokes, hummus etc. The menu is posted in this thread and you can see exactly what comes with it.