Travel from Civitavacchia to Venice

girljean

Does anyone have any suggestions on getting from Civitavacchia to Venice? Is getting transportation to Termini and then the train to Venice my best option? I will be carrying luggage from a cruise. Thanks for your help!

Does anyone have any suggestions on getting from Civitavacchia to Venice? Is getting transportation to Termini and then the train to Venice my best option? I will be carrying luggage from a cruise. Thanks for your help!

If you can handle your own luggage then the train is the best option. There are a couple of different routes (going via Rome Termini is one option) and we would probably use whichever train is most convenient for your own schedule. The only other reasonable option is to do a one-way rental car from Civitavecchia to Venice (we have done this).

Hank

You could arrange a private car transfer (very, very expensive but easy) or you could rent a car and drive yourself (pretty darn easy).

Other than that, it's the train. That means getting on and off with your luggage.

You could make it somewhat easier by paying for a car service to Rome so you don't have to deal with luggage on the regional train, then the train from Rome to Venice.

Thanks for your help. I appreciate your replies.

Is it easy to find the fast train when I am in the Termini station? Am I looking for an office for TrenItalia? I will probably buy my tickets online. Should I be booking a Frecciargento Train, is that correct?

How much time should I allow to get a car service to the station and find the correct train? I am trying to figure out what time I should book the train.

Thanks again!

The train is a Frecciargento. When you get into the station there's a big board with departures listed with the track (binario), the tracks are well signed.

You can see a map of the station on their web site here: http://www.romatermini.com/it/map/ Go to "piano binari" to get the right floor.

To see a picture of the departures board see here: http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/04/19/25/c7/stazione-termini-tabellone.jpg

Although it's only 50 miles from the port at Civitavecchia to Roma Termini station I'd allow two hours to account for traffic and getting yourself oriented once inside the station.

I am not sure why you would get a car service from Civi to Termini. The far easier way would be to take the train from Civi to Termini, connecting to the train to Venice.

I have read on the travel boards that it is a long walk and you have to carry luggage up a lot of stairs. Is this true?

I have read on the travel boards that it is a long walk and you have to carry luggage up a lot of stairs. Is this true?

The train versus car debate is largely one of convenience versus cost.

It's not clear if you're traveling alone or with others, but hiring a car to take you to Termini is likely to run in the vicinity of 120 euro for 1-2 people. The train will run less than one-tenth of that.

Is it a hassle -- I won't lie; it's not hassle-free if you have more than light luggage.

You need to take the free shuttle to the port entrance, then walk (or take another bus for 80 euro cents) to the train station. You may or may not have to go down and then up a flight of stairs, depending on which track your train departs from.

And once you arrive at Termini, you have to walk quite a ways from the tracks where the regional trains from Civitavecchia pull in to reach the head of the station (where the Departures board is); however, it is level and flat.

Then you will get on the fast train (yes, the Frecci) to Venice, again responsible for getting your bags to and onto the train.

With a car, you eliminate quite a bit of the "hassle" factor, because they can pick you up next to the ship (eliminating two bus rides OR one bus ride and a long walk PLUS a likely crowded train ride into Rome).

The car can also drop you pretty close to the head of Termini, again saving some walking.

Whether or not the significantly greater expense is worth it is a personal choice. If you're willing to pack light, it would make the whole trip -- including dealing with your luggage in Venice -- a lot easier.

You would save time and a lot of hassle by renting a car in Civatavecchia and driving to Venice instead of paying for a car to Rome to catch the train. It is easy driving.

https://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Civitavecchia,+Rome,+Italy&daddr=Venice,+Italy&hl=en&sll=43.787526,11.733525&sspn=4.639355,10.821533&geocode=FYhHggId1fuzACnltuRfrqQoEzGyf9IdcKqyUQ%3BFU9ftQIde-u7ACmJPdbx2rF-RzEvEJK98Majew&oq=venic&doflg=ptm&mra=ls&t=m&z=7

I am not sure why you would get a car service from Civi to Termini. The far easier way would be to take the train from Civi to Termini, connecting to the train to Venice.
It is in no way easier to take the local train, but it's certainly a lot less expensive.

Getting to the station in Civitavecchia is an effort, especially with luggage.

Getting to the right track at Civitavecchia in an effort (two full sets of stairs, in most cases, to get to the track) with luggage.

Then there's the three block walk from the auxiliary tracks at Termini to the main tracks for the connecting train.

If ease is the goal, a car that picks you up shipside and drops you off at the entrance of Termini is the way to go.

[i should note that I always use the train myself, but I recognize why it's not for everyone.]

Edited by euro cruiser

We did the high speed train from Rome to Venice. We made a stop in Florence and stayed there overnight and carried onto Venice.

The first part Rome to Florence there is hardly any stops but Florence to Venice there is many many stops. No problem though. Its beautiful scenery along the way. We were travelling close to 300 kms/hr.

I would upgrade your ticket so you are not sitting with all the rift raft and pick pocketers in the regular class. We were in a very nice car not many people and we were served snacks/drinks there.

Also, there is storage for your luggage under/behind your seat. Don't leave it in the stowaway close to doors as it can be easily picked up and taken off without you knowing it.

Watch your luggage, carry-on at Rome main train station. It's so busy there. I was spied by some gypsies trying to get our luggage and there were five cheap looking chaps starring at me all in different directions, and two moving in to sit closer and closer to me. It was very scary at the moment, I did not remove my hands from my Heys luggage, but I was fully onto them knowing what they were trying to do, and they quickly disappeared to check out the next available purse/luggage they could get their hands on...

Hmmm, as one of the 'rift raft' you are cautioning against, I am trying to decide whether or not I should be insulted. I don't know if you realize it, but that comment is extremely demeaning to the vast majority of train riders, both residents and tourists.

I have travelled extensively through Italy, Spain and France on trains, almost always with the so-called riffraff, and have had great experiences and met some very interesting people.

Most people who are frequent posters on this board would tell the OP to save their money and buy second class tickets. Of course, wherever you are, it is always wise to keep your eyes on your belongings and to be aware of your surroundings.

If we leave our luggage in the racks by the door, one of us will generally just get up and stretch and stand by the door at the stops, just to be on the safe side, but we have never had any incidents whatsoever and would not ever hesitate to book a second class ticket at any time.

Goodness, I'd have to agree with Cathy.

And I don't think you'd find many "riff raff" by anyone's standards on the fast trains, in either class.

I've traveled very comfortably in second class on the Frecce train from Venice to Rome and Naples to Rome. Didn't spot any "riff raff".

Ditto what Cathy and Cruisemom said.

As far as stops, there is one stop between Rome and Florence (at Rome Tiburtina, just minutes after leaving Termini) and just three stops between Florence and Venice (Bologna, Padova, and Venice Mestre), so it's hardly a big deal to get up and watch over your luggage during a stop if you are worried about it.

• 3 weeks later...

Instead of starting a new post I'll add another question.

Should I purchase our tickets in advance or the day of travel? We are less than 4 months out and I can't find any info on train times or cost. We want to do the high speed train from Rome to Venice. We have 2 adults and 2 teens.

Cruisemom42~ I wish you would open a help line :)

Instead of starting a new post I'll add another question.

Should I purchase our tickets in advance or the day of travel? We are less than 4 months out and I can't find any info on train times or cost. We want to do the high speed train from Rome to Venice. We have 2 adults and 2 teens.

Cruisemom42~ I wish you would open a help line :)

LOL.

I just went to the Trenitalia site and put in a June 3rd date -- which I extrapolated based on your signature -- and was able to pull up fares for the Frecciargento, the fast train to Venice from Rome. The fares start at 29 euro per ticket, which is a good fare (advance booking is usually cheaper).

My advice would be to purchase the tickets in advance IF you know when you'll want to travel. For example, if you are spending a few days in Rome first and then are traveling to Venice, there's really no risk. However, if you are planning to travel to Venice on the day that you arrive by plane to Rome, you might wait and purchase the tickets in case of any delays.

LOL.

I just went to the Trenitalia site and put in a June 3rd date -- which I extrapolated based on your signature -- and was able to pull up fares for the Frecciargento, the fast train to Venice from Rome. The fares start at 29 euro per ticket, which is a good fare (advance booking is usually cheaper).

My advice would be to purchase the tickets in advance IF you know when you'll want to travel. For example, if you are spending a few days in Rome first and then are traveling to Venice, there's really no risk. However, if you are planning to travel to Venice on the day that you arrive by plane to Rome, you might wait and purchase the tickets in case of any delays.

Thanks for the fast reply!

We are staying in Rome 5 days prior to the cruise. Rented an apartment in Campo de Fiori.

We will go directly to Venice after the cruise. I will check out the train company you suggested. It was not the one I had looked at. Looks like a great price.

Taking a car from Civitavecchia to Roma to catch a train is downright silly, given you can hop on a train right in Civitavecchia. http://www.trenitalia.com/ is the official website of the Italian rail system.

There are a number of different types of trains ranging from "regionale" (slow makes stops everywhere) up to the FRECCIAROSSA/FRECCIARGENTO/FRECCIABIANCA high speed trains (twice as fast as anything in North America)

A connection like this would work easily. For a random date a few months out it was €44

Regionale 12239

Civitavecchia 09:58

Roma Termini 11:18

FRECCIARGENTO 9422

Roma Termini 11:50

Venezia S. Lucia 15:35

As for Civitavecchia and stairs, yes there are stairs to get to some platforms. The way I look at it is "Is it worth it to me to save €50 to carry my suitcase up and down a flight of stairs", In my world I'd do that all day long if I got paid €50 every time I did.

We are staying in Rome 5 days prior to the cruise. Rented an apartment in Campo de Fiori.

We will go directly to Venice after the cruise. I will check out the train company you suggested. It was not the one I had looked at. Looks like a great price.

Perhaps we might help by clarifying. The "Trenitalia" is the national railroad of Italy. So when you go to the Trenitalia web site (and they have an English icon at the top if you prefer English) you are dealing directly with the actual railroad. If you use other 3rd party sites like Raileurope (which charges higher prices) you get what you get :)

Hank

Perhaps we might help by clarifying. The "Trenitalia" is the national railroad of Italy. So when you go to the Trenitalia web site (and they have an English icon at the top if you prefer English) you are dealing directly with the actual railroad. If you use other 3rd party sites like Raileurope (which charges higher prices) you get what you get :)

Hank

Thank you Hank!

One further thought on the subject. Look to book your ride from Civitavecchia through to Venice Santa Lucia. There will be a connection thru Rome Termini, but if you look thru the choices, there are a few Frecci... trains from both Civi. and Rome.

A) the platforms should be closer together than if you were changing from a Regionale train at Rome,

B) Frecci.. trains tend to be less crowded, and

C) if the train from Civi. is delayed getting into Rome, Trenitalia will get you onto another train without cost to you. Remember, these tix will not be refundable or changeable.

Booking a train now for discount rate of (using the June 3 example) €34. By comparison, full fare from Rome to Venice alone runs about €80 - so do book early if possible

I hadn't realized you'd be going to Venice after returning to Civitavecchia. I agree with the others who noted you might as well look for best routing starting from there rather than from Rome.

Let me expand on my earlier post. All the European railroads (i.e. Trenitalia, SNCF, RENFE, etc) have their own web sites. Nearly all the European railroads will sell tickets directly on their web site, and sometimes have some amazing prices. But, if booking European rail from outside the EU, one might find they are quickly directed (by their browser) to third party sites like Raileurope (for North Americans). These sites are owned by third parties and often have a contract to sell tickets in certain countries (i.e. Raileurope in the USA). And many times you will pay a big premium for using these sites.

So, some of us have learned how to deal with these situations. For example, if you try to book a SNCF (French Railroad) ticket on the SNCF site and say you live in the USA (it will ask this question) then you will immediately be steered towards the Rail Europe site with its higher prices. But if you tell that SNCF site that you live in France, then you will be able to buy normally cheaper tickets on the SNCF site and simply print out your ticket.

We have found even crazier situations. When recently trying to buy a ticket on New Zealand Tranzalpine line we were shocked at the high cost. It turns out that if your computer is located outside of New Zealand or Australia you are only offered high priced tickets. But if you fool their server into thinking that you are physically located in NZ or Australia you will get much cheaper fares (over 40% off) and you can put them on your credit card and print out the tickets (no matter where your location). Of course one needs to have the computer knowledge in how to fool their server (it can be done with open source browsers such as Tor or by using a VPN located within those countries).

Life on the internet is getting more interesting. We live in Mexico for part of the year and discovered that we can no longer connect to our health care drug provider on the internet. As soon as it realizes we are outside the USA it says "Not authorized to connect to the server." But if we use something like TOR Browser and program it to indicate we are inside the USA, there is no problem connecting (and ordering our prescriptions).

Many folks still do not understand that when you use the internet the other end knows where you are located! And pricing is often varied depending on your location (i.e. lets charge the rich American's more money). We think that practice truly sucks and it is unfortunate that most folks are either unaware or do not have the knowledge/ability to get around these pricing schemes.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Many folks still do not understand that when you use the internet the other end knows where you are located! And pricing is often varied depending on your location (i.e. lets charge the rich American's more money). We think that practice truly sucks and it is unfortunate that most folks are either unaware or do not have the knowledge/ability to get around these pricing schemes.

Hank

I do get that. I just was not aware of the train system in Italy. I appreciate all the info. It will make it much easier to book. I'm guessing that you can't book until you are 120 days out, which is approaching quickly.

As far as catching the train in Civitavecchia, I don't think I can do stairs with luggage. I have two titanium knees and a ruptured quad tendon. One works well and the other not so much. Climbing is the hardest part for me. Walking I can do. Climbing stairs I can do when I'm not schlepping a bag with three weeks of dirty laundry in it. :)

Thank you again for all the help!