Alaska: northbound vs. southbound

rgmacm

I have done both and like both. I could make arguments for both NB and SB.

Hubbard is one very large glacier that is massive.

College Fiords is several small glaciers with one large one at the end (though not as massive as Hubbard).

• Like 1

Tough choice, neither one is bad. I usually take a B2B and avoid the decision. One of the big pluses to me on the Northbound is that you have time in Juneau to take the all day trip with Adventure Bound to Tracy Arm. Most schedules don't have enough time to allow this tour. College Fjord used to me a favorite spot but the glaciers have really retreated and last couple trips we have not gotten close at all. Southern route like you says has both Hubbard and Glacier Bay, a big plus. First night out of Whittier has some of the most spectacular scenery for the first 3-4 hours, don't miss being out on day for the twilight viewing. 

Hard to pick wrong, look into the B2B it might not be as expensive as you think and you get the best of both. 

We are on our last day after taking the NB and sb voyage of glaciers on Island. I started a lazy live if you want to see some more pics.  Without reading all the answers (sorry I’m on vacation). I thought I’d show you the difference between college fjord and Hubbard. Hubbard is one of only 8 glaciers that are still growing. It is 6 miles wide 79 miles long and you can see 4 miles width of it from the ship. College fjord has several shrinking glaciers in a horseshoe. Both are gorgeous. These first two are college fjord the rest are Hubbard. 

D210FA79-E01A-402D-8798-9114DDFB946D.jpeg

E6ACCD3A-D715-4693-B04C-25C373F38AFF.jpeg

02643229-F2C1-4BD3-A00D-BDF2F762D087.jpeg

67992CFD-61C4-4290-BF14-4E611F8B25C5.jpeg