Booking hotel through Princess

bills blasters

We are taking our first Princess cruise next month. I have never booked a hotel through the cruise line for the night before the cruise. We got a good deal at the Embassy Suites, so we booked it with Princess.

My question is, when I check in to the hotel will I be able to give them my Hilton Honors number and get points for the stay?

Has anyone on here done that?

I know I can just ask when we arrive, but thought I would check on here also.

Thanks

Claudia

We are taking our first Princess cruise next month. I have never booked a hotel through the cruise line for the night before the cruise. We got a good deal at the Embassy Suites, so we booked it with Princess.

My question is, when I check in to the hotel will I be able to give them my Hilton Honors number and get points for the stay?

Has anyone on here done that?

I know I can just ask when we arrive, but thought I would check on here also.

Thanks

Claudia

I believe it you check with Hilton you'll find they only give points for stays booked online on their website. Sorry.

You will get credit for the stay, but you will get no points. We have had that issue many times with Hilton Honors with hotels booked through a second source; ie Princess or a dance society that we belong to that sponsors three day dances . You have to personally book directly with the hotel or through the Hilton Honors website or the hotel website to get the points.

Edited by birdiebill

I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn Claridge Rome last November before my trans-Atlantic on the Ocean Princess, and I booked the hotel through Princess.

When I checked at the front desk, they told me that the package booked through Princess was not eligible for HHonors points. They said that if I gave them my HHonors number I would receive points for any money I spent directly with the hotel, such as at the restaurant or bar, but not for the room stay itself.

I think that is one of the differences that should be considered, along with the price difference, in deciding whether or not to book a hotel through Princess. For this cruise, I booked through Princess for the convenience, even though it cost a little more. When we arrived at the Rome airport, a Princess representative was waiting to greet us at baggage claim with a luggage cart. After claiming our luggage, she took us to the hotel parking lot where a car was waiting to take us to the hotel. Princess had a representative at the hotel to handle checkins. On the morning of embarkation day, we left our luggage in our hotel rooms with the Princess luggage tags, and they picked them up there. We then met in the hotel lobby to catch our bus to the ship.

My wife has walking difficulties, and the entire process from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the ship was handled very smoothly. For us, it was worth the extra cost not to have to worry about transfers or luggage handling.

I'm doing a cruisetour in Oct and will be staying an extra night at a Hilton In Wash DC. I originally booked through Princess and then when prices opened up on the Hilton site it was $30 cheaper. I was told I could not collect points with the Princess Reservation so I cancelled that and booked it myself saving $30 (and 14%) tax and now get points.

Although you can often get lower prices for hotels directly than through Princess, make sure you are comparing all of the costs.

The Princess price for a hotel prior to the cruise includes transfer from the airport to the hotel and transfer from the hotel to the ship. After the cruise, it would include the reverse transfers. The Princess price also includes luggage handling from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the ship, including all gratuities for luggage handling.

Princess quotes a single price for the hotel including all taxes and fees. For example, in my recent stay in Rome, the city of Rome collects a tax at checkin on hotel stays - even if you have prepaid for the room. The Princess hotel booking including that tax - I did not have to pay anything.

If you use Princess Vacation Protection (trip insurance), then the trip insurance includes the hotel stay at no additional cost. This covers not only trip cancellation but also medical care needed during the time you are staying at the hotel.

We booked a hotel through Cunard (now the sister line of Princess -both Carnival Corporation) because we do not know our way around NYC and wanted the transfers which were handled very smoothly. We were also told at the desk that booking a hotel through Cunard did not qualify us for HH points because it was booked and paid in advance. Incidentals qualified. That seems to be the policy. I have to say we paid a lot more than we would (double) than if I had booked it directly or through a consolidator so it does irritate me that we did not qualify for points. Not sure what paying in advance has to do with it.

We paid $50 less to book the room through Princess, so that is why we did not book on our own. Plus we get the transfers. For the $50 I think it is OK if I don't get the points. I checked and the hotel was sold out right after we got the room, so was glad to do it that way.

Claudia

In the 12 years or so we have been HH members it's been our experience it depends on who is working the desk when you ask. More often then not we have been given the points, as being polite and friendly seems to go along way. ;)

That has been my experience too. But then, there are pleasant and unpleasant people working everywhere, aren't there? It cannot hurt to ask! :)

But it sounds like OP got a good deal, so points or no points, it should be fine.

I actually booked our hotel directly through the HH website because I've always been such a fan of their rewards program. But the Rome situation that NavyVeteran mentioned sounds like a time when I would definitely book through Princess - points would be secondary to easy navigation in a foreign country! ;)