P&O Britannia

Isis2

Unless you live near Southampton, those invites aren't much use!

If our invite had of been for 2 nights we would have made the effort, but for 1 night we would have spent nearly as much time getting to and from Southampton than time spent on the ship - just wasn't worth it.

We have booked on to cruise the Baltics in June. Hope the maiden voyage doesn't throw up any surprises!

I also hope it's MUCH better than the Oriana was in 2013!!

We are on the second cruise in March. Hope she is well oiled by then. They charge more for maiden season cruises so there should be no compromises.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have booked on to cruise the Baltics in June. Hope the maiden voyage doesn't throw up any surprises!

I also hope it's MUCH better than the Oriana was in 2013!!

As we are on the maiden cruise, I am hoping for lots of surprises but only if they are planned and positive!

We are on the second cruise in March. Hope she is well oiled by then. They charge more for maiden season cruises so there should be no compromises.

If the ships not well oiled then it seems to me the best option would be for you to get so. You won' t notice the glitches so much then!:)

Hi All

Having done the Royal Princess thought it would be interesting to see the Britannia,

so those who have sailed Princess and P&O,

what things do you like or dislike about P&O

yours Shogun

After many years of cruising almost exclusively with Princess we have only done P&O cruises for the last 3 years because in our opinion Princess has degraded its product to a point where it is no longer value for money.

To answer your question - things that we like about P&O:

Formal nights tend to be better observed on P&O

Mainly British passengers rather than loud, pushy Americans

Generally less rowdy

Entertainment such as comedians is aimed at the British market

Better guest speakers

More classical music

Hotter food, though not as hot as I would like it to be

Sindhu

Cheaper drinks

Lower gratuities

Unfortunately P&O is no longer as good as it used to be when we started cruising in the 80s but given that all cruise companies are competing to fill ever bigger ships so are having to reduce prices we can't really expect everything to stay the same. It is just that P&O are a few years behind Princess in their cost cutting.

Things that we prefer on Princess :

Free laundry for Elite

Free Minibar for Elite

Alfredos Pizza restaurants

Free ice cream on deck

Warm cookies in the afternoon, P&O do them but not so well.

We're also considering sailing on this new ship but have never tried P&O. Josy1953's comparison to Princess was very helpful though, thank you!

A few more questions:

- In terms of evening entertainment, does P&O also offer production shows (Broadway or Vegas type)? How many typically per cruise?

- Variety and quality of food?

- Is the food good in included restaurants or do you typically choose to pay extra for optional ones?

Can anyone compare P&O to other cruise lines like Holland, Royal Caribbean, Costa, or others included in my signature?

Edited by Luv2Trvl!

We're also considering sailing on this new ship but have never tried P&O before. Josy1953's comparison to Princess was very helpful though!

A few more questions:

- In terms of evening entertainment, does P&O also offer production shows (Broadway or Vegas type)? How many typically per cruise?

- Is the food good in included restaurants or do you typically choose to pay extra for optional ones?

Can anyone compare P&O to other cruise lines like Holland, Royal Caribbean, Costa, or others included in my signature?

They have The Headliners production shows - "average" would be a fair word to describe.

Food is very much angled to the British palate. Evening meals are ok, the buffet is kids party food.

P&O are better than Costa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to put "a cat amongst the pigeons" we have done over 25 cruises with P&O but for the most recent cruises we have done Princess for virtually same reason as Josy but other way round we feel P&O have dropped in standards and feel Princess are far superior in quality of food and service.

We're also considering sailing on this new ship but have never tried P&O. Josy1953's comparison to Princess was very helpful though, thank you!

A few more questions:

They have production shows, typically 3 per week and they are generally good. Food is pretty varied, a different choice of 4 to 5 dishes per course per night plus the always available dishes as well.

The buffet is standard fare and is themed in the evening, Indian, Chinese, Tex Mex etc. Breakfast has pretty much all you could want.

In no way to you feel you have to pay more for soeciality restaurants. I would rate the food better than RCI, not quite up to Celebrity.

My thoughts on P&O are that the food is very good quality, but it is a very safe menu directed at the normal British tastes.

Celebrity food has better variety with the chance to try things you would not normally eat at home.

The basic quality is much better than RCI and also higher in temperature.

Entertainment wise, it will depend on which generation you are from as on our previous P&O trip it was tailored to people who were already teenagers or above in the 70's where as I was not a teenager till the mid 80's so some of the humour was targeted differently.

That being said, have yet to try P&O outside of the Fjords so that could affect the demographic greatly.