Breakaway...still fun without paying for extras?

beckzay

We've only cruised Carnival in the past and on smaller ships. We were looking at the gem for April but then noticed that we could all fit in one cabin on the Breakaway for about the same amount of money (a little more, but if the KSF promo comes up it will be much cheaper).

Anyway, the size of the BA makes me a little nervous. I'm a traditionalist I guess in the fact that I don't want to get onboard and have to pay extra for everything. I'm not against paying for a specialty restaurant one time, but I don't want to do that every night.

Do you think a family of 5 could still have a stress free, enjoyable time on a ship of this size without paying extra for everything? Is the experience still the same as on a more traditional style cruise or will we feel like we are missing out on everything because we don't want to pay extra? This is a last minute decision in addition to another vacation we're taking this year so I'm looking for this trip to be as least expensive as possible.

There is plenty to do and eat without paying out the wazoo! It's nice to splurge, but you certainly don't have to spend any more on board if you don't want. The food is good in the included restaurants, buffet and other included options, but I would definitely recommend paying for a specialty restaurant at least once, although it's entirely up to you.

Do you think a family of 5 could still have a stress free, enjoyable time on a ship of this size without paying extra for everything?

Yes, definitely.

Is the experience still the same as on a more traditional style cruise or will we feel like we are missing out on everything because we don't want to pay extra?

I don't think that in this sense Freestyle cruising is any different from traditional cruising so NCL and Carnival are more alike than different here.

Only on new megaships the entertainment options are a bit different (several smaller entertainment venues with shows that are shown multiple times during the cruise instead of one big theatre and different shows each night) but even then only one evening show (Cirque type show) costs extra and that is because of the dinner included so it's a hybrid between an evening show and speciality dining.

What cabin (besides a full suite) fits 5 on the Breakaway? There is actually more free stuff on the Breakaway than Gem.

The family ocean view sleeps 5. It would be tight but we don't spend time in the cabin anyway. We only have 1 bathroom at home and manage so I don't think that's a deal breaker for us :)

My family of four was just on the Breakaway in November and we did not spend a lot on extras at all! We had a blast! The only extras we paid for was alcohol, one specialty dinner, the arcade and cupcakes at Carlos. We did not have any interest in Cirque and we aren't spa people. Our dinners were mostly at O'Sheehans and lunches were at the buffet or Uptown Grille (the burgers are the BEST). I don't seem to understand why everyone feels "nickle and dimed" on NCL. Other mass market cruise lines charge for alcohol, spa, specialty dining, arcade, etc. On the Breakaway, the rope course, pools, slides, mini-golf, shows (cirque and wine lunch musical excluded), waterfront, kids club before 10:30pm, sunshine and happiness are FREE! No worries, you'll have a blast.

We've only cruised Carnival in the past and on smaller ships. We were looking at the gem for April but then noticed that we could all fit in one cabin on the Breakaway for about the same amount of money (a little more, but if the KSF promo comes up it will be much cheaper).

Anyway, the size of the BA makes me a little nervous. I'm a traditionalist I guess in the fact that I don't want to get onboard and have to pay extra for everything. I'm not against paying for a specialty restaurant one time, but I don't want to do that every night.

Do you think a family of 5 could still have a stress free, enjoyable time on a ship of this size without paying extra for everything? Is the experience still the same as on a more traditional style cruise or will we feel like we are missing out on everything because we don't want to pay extra? This is a last minute decision in addition to another vacation we're taking this year so I'm looking for this trip to be as least expensive as possible.

What "extras" do you think you'd be paying for?

The family ocean view sleeps 5. It would be tight but we don't spend time in the cabin anyway. We only have 1 bathroom at home and manage so I don't think that's a deal breaker for us :)

Here is one quite recent review from five person family in such a cabin:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=44711170&postcount=8

My family of four was just on the Breakaway in November and we did not spend a lot on extras at all! We had a blast! The only extras we paid for was alcohol, one specialty dinner, the arcade and cupcakes at Carlos. We did not have any interest in Cirque and we aren't spa people. Our dinners were mostly at O'Sheehans and lunches were at the buffet or Uptown Grille (the burgers are the BEST). I don't seem to understand why everyone feels "nickle and dimed" on NCL. Other mass market cruise lines charge for alcohol, spa, specialty dining, arcade, etc. On the Breakaway, the rope course, pools, slides, mini-golf, shows (cirque and wine lunch musical excluded), waterfront, kids club before 10:30pm, sunshine and happiness are FREE! No worries, you'll have a blast.

Thank you! This was really helpful. We're aren't hard to please :) Our "kids" (all are really adults/teens) have never cruised before so this would be their first time. I really just didn't want their first experience to be discouraging and don't want them to feel like they can't do anything because it's extra.

I think we would definitely do one specialty dining but I think we'd be happy with the MDR and buffet too. And Carlos Bakery would be a "must do" also :D

What "extras" do you think you'd be paying for?

I'm not really sure RuthlessBoss, lol. I'm a NCL newbie so as I was initially looking at the overview of the BA it seemed like everything was extra. Thanks to a little more research on my part and the help here at CC I now know differently :D

I'm not really sure RuthlessBoss, lol. I'm a NCL newbie so as I was initially looking at the overview of the BA it seemed like everything was extra. Thanks to a little more research on my part and the help here at CC I now know differently :D

There is no need for extras unless you want drink or meal specialty packages or a special show when a meal is involved. All other shows are free, there are multiple free dining options. I was on Getaway and survived not paying for Illusionarium, but saw all other theatre options and didn't feel the need for a specialty meal as I can do that at home. I'm a cheapo cruiser:D

With teens, just watch out for the arcade. My two kids (and husband too) got a little carried away. It's all too easy to keep swiping the card and keep playing. :rolleyes:

This is a good advice. There was very recently a very poor review where the reviewer thought that NCL should have refunded several hundred dollars back to their onboard account after their kids "explored" a little in the arcade.

Unless the kids absolutely need charging privileges, it is recommended either to not to allow charging at all or set up separate cash accounts for each and deposit only how much they are allowed to spend (with NCL the cash deposits are handled only after boarding in Guest Services, not in terminal at check-in counter like some other lines).

Edited by Demonyte

This is a good advice. There was very recently a very poor review where the reviewer thought that NCL should have refunded several hundred dollars back to their onboard account after their kids "explored" a little in the arcade.

Unless the kids absolutely need charging privileges, it is recommended either to not to allow charging at all or set up separate cash accounts for each and deposit only how much they are allowed to spend (with NCL the cash deposits are handled only after boarding in Guest Services, not in terminal at check-in counter like some other lines).

Yes, VERY good advice, thank you. And you can set up separate cash accounts for each kid? Wow, that's perfect!

Yes, VERY good advice, thank you. And you can set up separate cash accounts for each kid? Wow, that's perfect!

No problem, happy to help.

And yes, every passenger can have their own onboard account. I thought that all lines would do it like this... O_o

Of course by default most people are fine with one account per cabin but there is no problem setting separate accounts for separate passengers or several passengers. So you can for example have a credit card in file for adults' joint account and a separate cash account for each kid with their individual allowances/savings/etc.

Edited by Demonyte

So much helpful information here, thank you very much everyone.

Now to just cross my fingers that the KSF promo comes out and our desired sailing date is included....

Otherwise, we'll be on the Gem (which is also fine :) )

this was a very timely post for me - dh and i are considering taking a cruise this october. we discovered cruising while living outside of orlando, where we could find last-minute steals. we haven't cruised since 2012 and have only cruised on RCLs monarch and CCLs sensation. the breakaway seems HUGE in comparison! i'm glad to see so many people say it's easy to not spend extra money.

I don't find that we pay for extras on NCL any more than we do on Carnival or Princess, etc.

There are more upcharge dining options on NCL than other lines, but you don't have to use them. I find the main dining room food good anyway.

Photos, drinks, etc. are extra on all cruiselines.

Have fun! Breakaway is a great ship. (Gem is too!)

My sister and her DH and 2 sons (12 & 14) were on the breakaway this past november. She set up cash accounts for her sons and put a cc for her and DH. Worked out great. We did eat at 2 specialty restaurants but not with the boys they were so involved with the kids and teen clubs we barely saw them. You don't say how old your kids are but I'm guessing they will want to do things on their own. So if mom and dad want a specialty dining night or 2 that may work for you. Other than that we didn't pay for anything extra besides alcohol and a few pictures.

We were on the NCL Dawn over Thanksgiving 2013. Grandson fell in love with the arcade, won't say how much but I didn't learn my lesson. 2014 on Carnival Glory, he proceeded to try and win this BabyG watch. Major bucks wasted, I mean major. Bought the damn watch for Christmas. This year, Breakaway will find him with a daily limit.

This year, Breakaway will find him with a daily limit.

Just that you know, AFAIK only way to accomplish daily limit is to set up a cash account for him and deposit the "daily limit" amount of cash manually every day.

So much helpful information here, thank you very much everyone.

Now to just cross my fingers that the KSF promo comes out and our desired sailing date is included....

Otherwise, we'll be on the Gem (which is also fine :) )

FYI i read in other posting that the KSF now called Friends and Family sail free will be back FEb/1/2015.

We have sailed twice the BA and 3 times the GEM, and will be back on the BA in 2 weeks. we love both ships, but definitely will pick the BA hands down, a lot more fun specially for a family, teens love the Entourage Lounge and activities for them, many reviews say that parents don't even see their kids much because they are always at the Teens activities. many things are up for charge but many more are free, like others mentioned here, shows, trivia and games at the atrium, rope course mini golf, rock climbing wall, sport course, pools, water slides are fantastic, something the GEM does not have. We've sailed the BA during 2 major holidays, 4th of july and Thanksgiving and yes they were a lot of people and kids by the thousands but we never felt over crowded, we love people and is fun to see people having fun, definitely make the cruise better, IMHO.

if a OV cabin works for you, go for it, but maybe check a balcony and compare prices, it might no be much of a difference but it will be in terms of space. we have sailed different type of cabins and as you said, we are never in the room either, so an inside had worked for us, but is nice to have a balcony and more space, but if money is a factor, get the cabin that better suit you and allow you to cruise which in the end is the most important part for most of us.

We do not spend much in specialty restaurants, we are just fine with the MDR, we would rather spend the money at the Spa or tours.

here is a link to my recent review if you want to check it out

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=266916

Enjoy your cruise.

Here is one quite recent review from five person family in such a cabin:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=44711170&postcount=8

Hey that's my review!! I feel like famous or something.

In regards to the OP, We had a family of 5 and had a great time, the only "extra" we did was the Cirque show (totally worth it, especially the first night when it's discounted). We ate at the MDR every night (usually Manhattan) and loved the food. We didn't do Vibe or any Spa treatments.

Tons of stuff to do everyday that doesn't cost a dime.