return to the Breeze. Jan 3-11-2015...

sid_9169

After my last cloudy, rainy, trip upon the Breeze in October 2014, I knew that I must visit her again in hopes of better weather. Shortly after my return, I began searching for a possible 8 day adventure on the beautiful Carnival Breeze. Around the middle of November I found what appeared to be a pretty good solo rate, and quickly booked it. This time in Starboard balcony 8367. (Last time I was in cove balcony 2309, great room, but far away from the food and the action on the upper decks.)

My journey began early on a Saturday morning, after having very little sleep. The cab picked me up around 7:00 am, and I was off to the Marta station (the Subway system here in Atlanta.) About 30 minutes later I arrived at the airport in plenty of time for my flight. My flight was not until 10:00 am, but I always like to leave in plenty of time in case there are any hiccups...

Pretty soon I was on-board and headed to Miami. We landed a few minutes before noon, and at the gate soon after. I made a bee line to the Carnival check-in counter located inside the airport, and within ten minutes I was holding my shiny Gold level sail & sign card. (I would hit 25 days on the sixth day of this cruise.) Minutes later I was in a cab on the way to the port. I arrived and quickly made my way to the "airport check-in" line, and within 5 minutes, I was on-board! Total time between landing at the airport and being aboard the ship, 50 minutes!

I made my way to Guest services to redeem $500 worth of Carnival e-gift cards purchased thru Verizon. Next stop, the Cheers program table located in the atrium lobby. Soon after, I was having the first of many Ultimate Margaritas at the lobby bar. I made my way up to level 8 to check out my cabin. It looked identical to the cove balcony cabin I had been in only 2 months earlier. I unpacked my bag ( I always do a carry on bag, only) I don't trust the airline with my stuff. In fact, one of the people on my roll call had his bag misplaced, and he showed up for the cruise with only the clothes on his back.

A couple of more drinks later it was time for muster drill, and soon after, I was up on deck for sail-away. Miami soon dis-appeared into the distance, and my vacation had officially begun!!! My first night in the MDR, I was seated at a large round table for 11. Only three other people besides me were present. 3 ladies in their 70's & me... Now, I love my grandmother, but I was hoping to be seated with some solos closer to my age. (45) Between courses, I made my way outside to the assistant maitred and inquired about a possible table change. He said I would have a letter under my cabin door before 2pm the next day telling me where my new table location would be. After dinner I had a couple more drinks and soon it was time for bed. It had been a long travel day, and I wanted to be well rested for my first sea day...

next up- the first sea day... hot tubs, hairy chest competition, and photo-bombing...

\

Can you please tell me what bands are playing on board . In the Ocean Plaza please and where Mambo kings is playing .

also what nights are elegant. Thanks In advance

danceboots15@yahoo.com

Elegant nights were on the first sea day (day after embarkation) and the last sea day (between San Juan and Nassau) the mambo kings played in the atrium. The good lookins played in the ocean plaza. Also, solo sets by Bobby, lyl, or Amy on lido and in the red frog pub.

I'd considered abandoning my review/story, but I like to finish what I start, so here goes... I was up around 7:30 with bloodshot eyes from my day of heavy drinking. I headed up to lido for coffee and some breakfast, then assumed my usual spot in the Serenity hot tub. I still had some thick cobwebs in my head and hoped I would be up for an adventure today in San Juan. I really had no plans except to explore on my own. I showered and waited for the Tandoor to open for lunch.

Afterward I headed out on foot into Old San Juan. I knew that if I walked roughly due North, I would find the ocean. I passed the Capitol building and came to a small park across the street. Directly past there were cliffs above the Atlantic ocean. Not really much of a beach, but some nice size waves. I made my way West and soon came to the fort of Castillo San Cristobal. It was starting to get pretty hot outside, so I opted to take a tour of the fort, and the shade within. I climbed to the highest point where the view was spectacular. The ocean on one side, and if you turned around, a view of the ships at the port. After that I wandered up and down the cobblestone streets. Through small alley ways. Admiring the old European-like architecture. I browsed in some of the local shops and picked up a few gifts for family back home. Walked some more along the stunning blue bricks of the city streets.

I headed back to the ship around 3:00 pm and had some shots of Patron at the Blue Iguana on lido. Then more at the Ocean Plaza bar. I chilled out on my balcony and reflected on my day, then back up to Ocean Plaza for some Stella's from Jason the bartender.

Once again, I was the only one who showed up for dinner at the MDR. Tonight I had lamb chops and lasagna followed by some warm chocolate melting cake. A couple of more Stella's and I was about done for the night. Tomorrow was our last sea day, and my vacation was rapidly winding down. My plans were to just relax and catch some rays. The week of heavy drinking was starting to catch up with me, and soon it was time for bed.

This morning I was up early again, about 6:45. I headed up to Lido for my morning coffee and waited for the omlette line to open. After that I made my way to the Serenity hot tub at exactly 8:00 am to be the first one in the freshly cleaned hot tub. This would become my daily pattern throughout the week. It's good to just sit up there and relax and allow the warm bubbly water to wash away the reality of everyday life back at home...

With no real plans for today, I had a shower and sat out on my balcony for a bit. At a few minutes before noon I headed up to Lido for my first Guys burger of the cruise. Soon followed by some grub from the Tandoor. Back up to deck 11 for some sun, pretty soon it was about time for my first drink. Now, I mostly lean towards margaritas and just plain straight shots when it comes to drinking, but I decided with the afternoon heat setting in that I would have my first ever frozen umbrella drink. I headed to the Blue Iguana tequila bar and perused the menu and ordered a chipotle pineapple passion margarita. Definitely not the "manliest" sounding drink ever, but in the heat of the Caribbean it was pretty darn refreshing...

I had some time before dinner, so I headed to the Ocean Plaza bar on deck 5 for some shots of Patron from Jason the bartender. It was only day three, but by this time he had already memorized my folio number, so he didn't require my S&S card to make the transaction. How do these people remember names and numbers and such? I have a hard time remembering my own name after a few good drinks...

Soon it was time to get ready for dinner at my new table. I don't remember what was on the menu tonight, but everything I had in the MDR satisfied or exceeded my expectations. Our headwaiter Maliwan was exceptional and would receive an extra tip on the final night of my journey... A couple more drinks at Ocean Plaza and I was fading fast. I wanted to be up early for our first port day, St Thomas. I had not seen land since we pulled out of Miami on Saturday, and I was looking forward to swimming in the warm Caribbean water...

next up-St Thomas, my Safari bus adventure, and the stalker...

Any chance you can post a Fun Times and or the Bands onboard the ship . In the Ocean plaza and the latin band . Thanks Jen

danceboots15@yahoo.com

For some reason I was up at 6:30 am today. (way before the hot tubs open) I had some coffee and waited until the

Blue Iguana opened (7:30 on sea days) Scarfed down a burrito and went to Serenity to find both hot tubs roped off

with signs indicating "high chlorination in progress."

I peered over the rail to get a view of the Lanai hot tubs, and they were opened and empty. After about 45 minutes

there, I headed back to the cabin for a shower, then to the sea day brunch for some steak & eggs. I was seated at a

large table with a diverse group of strangers. We shared stories about the trip and "back home", which at this

particular table, spanned the globe.

After that, I tried to catch some sun, which proved more difficult than normal as this was our last sea day. I

happened upon a prime spot on one of the upper decks and relaxed for awhile. As if the breakfast burrito and brunch

were not enough, I soon made my way back to the Tandoor as soon as it opened at noon. As a lover of ethnic food, I

can say that this was probably my favorite lunch spot on the Breeze.

The Miss Carnival Breeze contest was next out at the Lido pool area. The seas were very rocky today, and he ship was

experiencing some serious movement. Water was splashing out of the pool out onto the deck. It was about time to have

some drinks, so I headed down to the Ocean Plaza bar and downed a few before heading back to the cabin to relax for

awhile.

I promised my mom that I would get a couple of pictures for her, and this was the last "cruise elegant" evening. So

I donned my nicest attire (which, in my case means black jeans and a collared shirt I picked up at Macys the day

before I left Atlanta) I went and found a photographer with a background that didn't include a fake staircase or a

picture of the ocean.

A couple of glasses of wine (Ok, 4 or 5 glasses) and it was soon time for dinner at the MDR. Afterward, I went and changed back into shorts and a T shirt, as I had heard that it was cold back home, I wanted to soak up all the warm Caribbean weather I could... I was descending the mid-ship stairway and coming up in the opposite direction was a very nice looking lady (a Carnival employee) who spoke to me probably the sexiest sounding sentence ever to enter my ears. However,in a foreign language, vaguely Eastern European. She pointed to my shirt (bright red with the old Soviet hammer & sickle) and said "oh, your not Russian?" It was obvious at that point that I was but an ordinary, average American. Needless to say, I was secretly wishing to be Russian at that moment.

I went a had a few more drinks and checked out the Piano Bar, which was quite lively on this particular evening. Soon, it was getting late, and our last full day was tomorrow in Nassau, so I headed up for bed...

Despite waning interest, I'm going to continue my story... Now, where were we? Day 8, Nassau, Bahamas... I was up early again and after my morning coffee & quick bite at the Blue Iguana, I went to see if the Serenity hot tubs were opened. I settled into the warm water and took in the soothing bubbles on the last full day of my journey. We weren't due into port until noon today, and there were very few people out this early. I had no real plans for today, but to venture out on foot in search of some authentic island nourishment. The only other time I had been to Nassau, it rained and I didn't venture outside the port area. After my hot tub time I went down and started to do some "pre-packing" of my suitcase, which at this point was basically a plastic trash bag full of dirty clothes. I was doing self-assist debarkation, and wanted to get as much out of the way as possible for my early departure tomorrow.

We pulled into port on schedule and soon I was out venturing out to find some lunch. I had heard about the Fish Fry area, and set out on foot in that direction. Upon arrival, there were people out front of each establishment vying for peoples patronage. I checked out the menus out front of each place, and all seemed very similar, so I flipped a coin in my head and settled on Oh Andros... I had the fried conch, which seems to be the national dish in this region. It was OK, nothing to write home about. A bit rubbery, but tasted alright. Afterwards I checked out Junkanoo beach which was pretty crowded by now. Not really much of a beach, but convenient to the cruise passengers. I checked out the Straw Market, where again, every vendor tried to drive your attention toward their wares. I haggled the price of a magnet (for my mom) from $8 down to $3... Soon after, I headed back onboard to enjoy a mostly empty ship.

On my previous cruises, I had never ordered room service before and decided to check that off my list today. (Other "never-done-before" items include: eating ice cream, riding the elevator, doing the waterslide, playing trivia or gambling...) Anyway, I heard that Carnival has some really awesome chocolate cake that is only available through room service, so I placed my order via the TV remote. Minutes later there was a knock at the door. It was the hot Russian girl from the stairway yesterday. I invited her in asked her about her homeland. I told her that I collect things from cold war era Soviet Union, including wrist watches and militaria. Also, I explained to her what we were taught, as students in America, about communism and how they oppressed the citizenry. She told me about her experience as a child in Russia, which, at her age, was after the fall of communism. I gave her a $5 tip for the cake and her face lit up with a smile. I bid her farewell and headed out onto my balcony to enjoy the sinfully sweet desert and admire the Disney Dream docked across the pier from us.

I looked down on the Lanai area and the ship was still pretty vacant, so I headed out for a hot tub marathon which included all four on level five. Then up to Serenity, for a dip in the two up there. Then to the aft hot tubs on Lido for a total of 8... Afterward, a quick shower, then some Patron shots at Ocean Plaza. Followed by a couple of Stellas at the Atrium bar. Then a couple of Ultimate Margaritas on Lido. Soon it was time for the final dinner in the MDR where I enjoyed my final sit down meal of the cruise. I gave Maliwan, the headwaiter an envelope containing a nice tip for great service throughout the week, and headed out for a few more drinks before bed time. It would be an early morning again tomorrow for self-assist debarkation. I finished packing so I would be ready to head straight out without delay.

Still here and enjoying your review. What's up next for you?

Thanks for your kind words... After having been on Carnivals flagship, the Breeze twice now, i'm waiting for the Vista to come to Miami. I am going to try out NCL Getaway in May and again in December. Is the grass greener on the other side? I have only ever been on Carnival so I'll find out in May...

Thanks for your kind words... After having been on Carnivals flagship, the Breeze twice now, i'm waiting for the Vista to come to Miami. I am going to try out NCL Getaway in May and again in December. Is the grass greener on the other side? I have only ever been on Carnival so I'll find out in May...

I think it is great to have variety. We've cruised HAL, Celebrity, RCI, Princess, and Carnival.

We still need to give NCL a try. Our upcoming cruises are on Carnival at the end of Feb, and we just booked Celebrity today for end of March.

HI all!

sid_9169 ~ I've been following along & enjoying your review too. I've cruised on all the major lines but no luxury ones & really like Carnival. I've done the Breeze twice & Dream once. I mostly have done NCL because they are good for solo travelers. LOVE the Getaway, what a beautiful ship with a great Miami vibe, great food & entertainment too. I actually did Breeze then walked next ship over & did the Getaway, both great.

~ Jo ~ :)

Sid i enjoyed your review, just 1 question how much weight did you gain after all that eating and drinking. I gained 10 lbs just ready about it.

I probably gained 3 or 4 pounds. I am very active, and always take the stairs. In fact, I have never once been on an elevator on a cruise ship... I also walk or ride my bike 5 miles a day to work and back, so that helps too... Thank you for reading! sid...

I was up & at 'em at 5:45 am on the morning of debarkation. I went up for some coffee and could see the lights of Miami in the distance. It was all too real that they were going to throw us all off the ship soon in favor of a whole new group of passengers. I scarfed down some ham & eggs at the buffet and headed down to shower in time for meeting at the Ovation theater at 7:15...

I made a final tour of the upper decks as the sun rose and went to my cabin to collect my belongings. I nearly forgot to clean out the safe which contained my passport and a stack of cash. I arrived at the theater about ten after seven, and it was about half full already. They had the new arrivals placed row by row so that the ones who had gotten there first would be the first out. Fair enough, however some of the later arrivals felt entitled to just come in through one door and immediately head out the other side. A fight nearly erupted a few feet in front of me when some of said "entitled" passengers attempted to make their way past a man of significant size who absolutely refused passage. He told them that he had been waiting for a half hour, and that over his dead body would they debark ahead of him. He blocked the entire isle with the girth of his body and dared anyone to try to pass.

A few minutes later I was crossing the gangway and passing through immigration on the way to a taxi. I managed to find another solo passenger to share a ride to the airport with, and soon we were on our way. I arrived at the airport in plenty of time to catch my 11:30 flight. In fact I could have easily made the 10:10 flight back home to Atlanta. I sat around in a deserted part of the terminal where the news of the recent terrorist attack in France dominated the TV screens. I never watch any television while on a cruise, so this was all new information to me.

The flight back home was uneventful, except for the frigid weather upon my arrival. It looks like I picked a great week to be away from home and miss out on the cold temperatures. My post-cruise hangover had officially begun...

Immediately upon my arrival home I began looking into my next adventure. Having been on the Breeze twice now, I opted to try out the NCL Getaway in May. I have only ever sailed with Carnival, and while sufficiently satisfied, I am a lover of variety. Also, they are currently running a promotion that includes their Ultimate Beverage Package (and, as you all know I'm a fan of alcoholic beverages)

In conclusion, I loved both of my trips aboard the beautiful Carnival Breeze. The food was great and plentiful. My favorite being the Tandoor. The crew and staff met or exceeded my expectations in every regard. When it comes to cruising, I'm a glass half full kind of guy, and even on my previous trip when it rained the whole time, I had a blast... I am so looking forward to my first cruise with NCL, visiting St Thomas, Tortola, and Nassau. Until then, I thank you all for following along on my great adventure...

When we got to the Kmart I surprised all of these strangers by paying for all of their rides. It cost me $14 bucks to make a bus load of strangers day...

i

This made me smile. Way cool!

We plan to go to Sapphire next month but think we will take a taxi - not quite so adventuresome as you. :)

This made me smile. Way cool!

We plan to go to Sapphire next month but think we will take a taxi - not quite so adventuresome as you. :)

It was the least I could do... Sometimes we Americans take for granted our way of life. For the price of 2 beers I was able to impact the lives of a busload of people...