Azura Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin

Daddyglove

Hi. We are thinking of booking an early saver on Azura round the Med in October.

There are 3 of us in the cabin and are looking to book a balcony but would like a double bed for me and my wife and a sofa bed for my daughter.

What I would like to know is do all Superior deluxe balcony cabins have double beds and sofa beds.

Also is there much difference between a Superior deluxe balcony and a normal balcony cabin.

Thanks.

Actually - no, they don't all have sofa beds. Some of them just have a sofa. The deck plans show which cabins have sofa beds - they are an shown with 1 or 2 asterisks. You may have difficulty booking an early saver if you want 3 people in a cabin as this will restrict the cabins available. I would recomend you talk to P & O or a good travel agent before going ahead and booking.

All the balcony cabins have the option of double or twin beds.

The Superior deluxe cabins are considerably larger than the ordinary cabins on Azura and have a much larger lounge area (where the sofa bed is) than the ordinary balcony cabins.they will be much more comfortable if there are 3 of you in a cabin.

The balconies on the superior deluxe cabins are larger than the ordinary balcony cabins except for the balcony cabins on C deck - which have a larger one, or the aft facing cabins, which alos generally have larger balconies.

Good luck - hope you can book what you want.

I concur with everything Mysticalmother says, other than the fact that I would say the balconies are no bigger than standard cabins. They are tiny. 2 people can sit at an angle but 3 would be overcrowded. The extra space over a standard cabin is significant and makes a massive difference to not feeling on top of one another.

The D deck superior balcony cabin we stayed in had a much larger balcony than the A or B deck balcony cabins we have stayed in. They are not quite as big as the C deck balcony which is our preference if in hot climates.

For long cruises or Colder cruises then we would opt for the Superior balcony cabin

I concur with everything Mysticalmother says, other than the fact that I would say the balconies are no bigger than standard cabins. They are tiny. 2 people can sit at an angle but 3 would be overcrowded. The extra space over a standard cabin is significant and makes a massive difference to not feeling on top of one another.

Thank you Selbourne - but as Kersh says, the D deck superior deluxe cabin balconies are larger than A or B deck ones. I agree they are not huge but are deep enough to sit and put your feet up on the footstool provided without being at an angle. They are however overlooked by the balconies above and they have no shade at all.

I am guessing but I think the op's original query was more about the cabin itself than the balcony. The superior deluxe cabins on Azura are identical in size and layout to the midships Princess Grill cabins on Queen Elizabeth - but the balconies are much smaller on QE ( and were a disappointment for us when we sailed on her in 2013) and would certainly be more comfortable for 3 people.

I have some photos of the cabin and balcony on Azura on my other computer if the OP would like to see them?

If the Superior Deluxe balconies are larger than those on A and B deck, then I would suggest that those on the upper decks are almost unusable. The tiny balcony (and complete lack of shade as they are fully open - although we knew about that as P&O flag it) was our only dissapointment with our Superior Deluxe balcony, but the interior space was great and a vast improvement over the somewhat claustrophobic standard cabins. The balconies immediately above, although attached to standard cabins, are significantly (3 times?) the depth of the Superior Deluxe balconies.

One point not made yet is that in a standard balcony cabin all the extra beds are pullman type, pull down from ceiling, and when in use the standard beds have to be set up as singles. Therefore the de-luxe cabins are the only ones that would meet your needs, and all 3 or 4 berth de-luxe cabins do have a sofa bed.

There are some de-luxe cabins on E deck and these have fully covered balconies although I am not certain how big the balconies are.

The depth of a balcony cabin balcony on all decks except C deck is approx. 1.5 metres; the depth of a Deluxe balcony cabin balcony on D & E decks is approx. 2 metres (maybe a little bit more); and the depth of a C-deck balcony cabin balcony is approx. 3 metres. (This is for the cabins on the port and starboard sides - the balcony depths don't follow this rule for the aft balconies.)

I have a page in my blog all about balcony cabins on Ventura & Azura here.

Edited by tom_uk

Therefore the de-luxe cabins are the only ones that would meet your needs, and all 3 or 4 berth de-luxe cabins do have a sofa bed.

As already pointed out by Mysticalmother, Superior Deluxe Cabins do not all have sofa beds. They all have 2 seater sofas, but only those with one or two asterisks in the ships deck plans fold out to form a bed. This is an important distinction, although P&O won't let you book 3 people in a Superior Deluxe that only has a sofa. When we went on Azura, we deliberately chose a 3 berth Superior Deluxe that was flanked either side by 2 berth superior deluxe cabins as we have been irritated on several cruises by young children crashing around next to us. The plan failed spectacularly. The 2 berth cabin was occupied by the Grandma and Grandad with the daughters and grandchildren in the cheaper inside cabins along the corridor. The cabin next to us, although a 2 berth, became home to 4 adults and 4 young kids for most daylight hours!

Edited by Selbourne

As already pointed out by Mysticalmother, Superior Deluxe Cabins do not all have sofa beds. They all have 2 seater sofas, but only those with one or two asterisks in the ships deck plans fold out to form a bed. This is an important distinction, although P&O won't let you book 3 people in a Superior Deluxe that only has a sofa. When we went on Azura, we deliberately chose a 3 berth Superior Deluxe that was flanked either side by 2 berth superior deluxe cabins as we have been irritated on several cruises by young children crashing around next to us. The plan failed spectacularly. The 2 berth cabin was occupied by the Grandma and Grandad with the daughters and grandchildren in the cheaper inside cabins along the corridor. The cabin next to us, although a 2 berth, became home to 4 adults and 4 young kids for most daylight hours!

My original post did state that all 3 or 4 berth de luxe balcony cabins had sofa beds I assumed the op would be capable of reading and understanding a brochure deck plan.

My original post did state that all 3 or 4 berth de luxe balcony cabins had sofa beds I assumed the op would be capable of reading and understanding a brochure deck plan.

whilst I too would expect people to be able to read and understanding a deck plan, the reality is that some do not look at deck plans - or don't even realise they can - before asking questions on this forum. Particularly new cruisers who do not always know what information is available to them.

That's what is good about this forum isn't it - that we are here to help where we can?

Edited by Mysticalmother