Teen Club Shenanigans

FitchburgWIFamily

Last time we cruised, the kids were in kids club, which I and the kids loved. This year, they have both aged out, but are excited about being old enough to go to Entourage.

So, for all you parents who have traveled with teens...did your teens like the teen club? Did you, as parents, like the teen club?

As a mother of a JUST turned 13-year-old girl who thinks she is going on 17...how much inter-gender or inter-age fraternization goes on? I love the idea of her meeting new friends her own age, I am a little more nervous about her attending a dance with 17-year-olds.

As a mother of a 14-year-old boy who thinks he is too cool for everything...how likely is it that Entourage will hold his attention over the pick up games of whatever it is they play on the sport court. 'Cause I would feel a little better about 13 yo daughter in teen club if 14 yo son was there.

I saw on the dailies there are Entourage parties that go from 11pm - 1am. Is that a bunch of kids eating pop corn and watching movies until 1 in the morning, or is that a bunch of teens dirty dancing under strobe lights?

See how my worry-mom brain works?

So...parents of teens...tell me about the Entourage shenanigans your kids have engaged in so I know exactly what to itemize on my kids don't do list.

Thank you!

I'm interested as well, my 13 yr old boy thinks exactly like your 14 yr old boy.

My concern is he's an only child so would be doing these things by himself. He never really enjoyed kids club and I was so hoping this year he would find something to keep his interest besides the basketball court

I cruised last September with a my 13.5yo daughter and a 14.5yo son of friends, who's like my own. They went to the teen club, and I never saw them again...

Lol. Ok really, I was just as worried, fearing the worst. I gave a rundown of expectations during the drive down, ( checking in, the DOs and DON'Ts such as never go into anyone else's cabin, etc.) and then let them go. I was terrified my little girl was going to be corrupted in some way or another, but I was pleasantly surprised by their responsibility.

To answer some of your questions, ( and I'm sure YMMV based on the amount of kids, time of year, itinerary, etc. ) on our Bahamas cruise on the Gem, all teens age 13-17 were together. The activities listed on the Entourage paper were more of a suggestion, My daughter said they'd take a quick vote and see if anybody actually wanted to do whatever was listed, and usually they'd do something else. It seemed to me the kids used the teen club more as a meeting point, then go off for breakfast, the pool, or to karaoke. There were several times I "accidentally" ran into them in the buffet or hanging out at Bliss for bowling and karaoke, they were always in a group of 5+ and were well behaved, having fun but not being disrespectful or disruptive.

Typical sea day, they'd wake up somewhat late, meet the kids in the buffet for breakfast at 11am and be in and out until late. I always had a general idea where they were, communication was pretty good, due to post it notes and me often being in the cabin ( we had adjoining cabins , one for the boys, one for the girls ) I'd see them pop in to change for dinner or the pool. For port days we had a ton of fun with excursions, so I still felt like we actually spent time together!

It was an adjustment for me to ease up, I admit I was nervous, but it was a test of responsibility and I was

happy with the results. You know your kids better than anyone else, so it's up to you to decide how to handle it, but be aware, it's not nearly as structured as the kids club, at least, that was our last cruises experience.

Edited by AEckhardt

My screen name cruizinwithkids is kind of obsolete as the "kids" are now 23 and 24. Hopefully my advice is not.

My kids went on their first NCL cruise when they were 7 and 8. They loved every cruise except one. In 2005 when they were 13 and 14 we cruised on the Dawn. We sailed with family and friends. My kids each had friends their own age. My daughter's friend was 12. My daughter was 13. NCL wouldn't let either join the other's age group, so they didn't join. My son and his friend were too cool to join. Neither of my kids enjoyed the cruise and both made sure they always joined the teens group after that. I think the activities are secondary to the friends they made on the cruises.

I'm glad this was asked. I'm in a similar situation but I'm cruising as a single parent so was hoping she'd join entourage. She's 14 and really sociable. She always went to kids clubs when we holidayed on land.

I did think that Entourage was probably just a way to hook up with other teenagers rather than joining in the activities although I hope she'll do both. I was worried about the age range as she's at the lower end. I guess they'll just gravitate to kids their own age as they do at home.

Anyone have any ideas of the activities put on for the teenagers. Also how do I communicate with her when she's gone to Entourage and I want to go join another activity? Should I just leave a note in our cabin?

Jo & Natalie x

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Last time we cruised, the kids were in kids club, which I and the kids loved. This year, they have both aged out, but are excited about being old enough to go to Entourage.

So, for all you parents who have traveled with teens...did your teens like the teen club? Did you, as parents, like the teen club?

As a mother of a JUST turned 13-year-old girl who thinks she is going on 17...how much inter-gender or inter-age fraternization goes on? I love the idea of her meeting new friends her own age, I am a little more nervous about her attending a dance with 17-year-olds.

As a mother of a 14-year-old boy who thinks he is too cool for everything...how likely is it that Entourage will hold his attention over the pick up games of whatever it is they play on the sport court. 'Cause I would feel a little better about 13 yo daughter in teen club if 14 yo son was there.

I saw on the dailies there are Entourage parties that go from 11pm - 1am. Is that a bunch of kids eating pop corn and watching movies until 1 in the morning, or is that a bunch of teens dirty dancing under strobe lights?

So...parents of teens...tell me about the Entourage shenanigans your kids have engaged in so I know exactly what to itemize on my kids don't do list.

Thank you!

My sister went on the breakaway with her 12 and 14 year old boys. She barely saw them. The 14 year old she was a little worried about he loves his texting and he was kinda whining about not having phone and text service before the cruise. Well this kid had the time of his life. He never missed his phone he made many good friends he had a great time and can't wait to go back again.

we sailed on the Epic for March break in 2012. There were lots of kids! My boys were 13 and almost 17 at the time and they loved Entourage. We were traveling with other families so they had other friends their own ages with them when they went to the activities which probably contributed to us being pretty relaxed. As a previous poster mentioned, they mostly used it as a meeting place. They went to eat. They played a lot of ping pong, billiards and air hockey. They participated in the family White Hot party near the main deck The 17 year olds still wanted to dance so they came and crashed the 18+ White Hot party, where all of us parents were. No one asked them to leave, I assume because they stayed on the dance floor dancing. I know the Entourage group kid a Congo line through the ship as 1 activity and I think they may have had some type of scavenger hunt ( not sure). They bowled and did Karaoke.

On ship days we left them to do their own thing. We left post its and telephone messages in their rooms in the AM to tell them where we'll be and what time they needed to be back to the cabins for dinner. We parents tended chose a location on the pool deck for the day and a spot in the Martini lounge in the evenings that we tended to congregate at. The kids tended to come by those locations to look for us if they needed something. Sometimes they didn't find their own parents but as all freely parented each others kids any parent would do. LOL.

Relax and enjoy.

BTW, we are booked again on the Epic for March break 2015. Now my daughter(a week shy of 15), who was too young on the last trip will be enjoying Entourage along with her 17 year old brother. Honestly, I'm more worried about my now 19 year old...

Our DD was 15 when we went on the BA in 2014. The first day we signed her up and saw the club. That is the only day they say they allow adults in the club.

She had a great time with activities at various times. I'd have to ask her again all of the things they did. I know they did have things late at night from 10-1 or so. A couple nights they had the pool area for themselves at 10. We walked past the pool area up on 16 and saw them having a good time in the hot tubs down below but generally we relied on her to check in and let us know where she was going.

Here lies the question, "Will I be fried to a juicy rare or overly done to being burnt & dried out???????????? Here is my take on teens club. My son has had the privilege of being on all cruises I have taken Disney & NCL only. He will be 15 this early March. He could not wait until he was 10 (I think) to be able to sign himself in & out of kids club without me. Then the time came where he was able to join teens club.!!!!!!! Look out Nellie!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just kidding......everything has for the most part (about 95% of the time) been easy breezy. Now the other 5% you ask!!!! Well now there was the time he had gotten together with the wrong crowd & there was (lets just say) booze involved. I later (after we disembarked) found out a mother, (yes a mother) left her cabin with a cabin full of kids and left her 16 year old child with a bottle of champagne. Was I there to witness this, .............NO I WAS NOT...... I was also later informed about how they had drinks given to them by others. Again, NO I WAS NOT. Yes the proof was in the pudding, but I had no pudding. I have always allowed my son run of the ship. He knows his cruises are his down & free time. We live in the country & not any friends near by & no place to run the streets at night which I have seen down in town! I try to remember back when I was a child or teen, OMG, if my mother only knew. I remember getting into Boonsfarm Apple Wine & throwing up all over my new baby blue bedroom carpet at the age of 12. Things were a bit different back then as it was 1971. Then came the time my son came into the cabin at 11 p.m. & woke us up so he could show 1 of the 2 boys (family friends) who were traveling with us, what he had video taped on his phone. OMG, I never got up out of bed so fast, threw clothes on & trotted (more like galloped) down to security. The kids were in Bliss lounge, hyperventilating & then another teen would push & hold onto the other teens chest until they passed out!!! My son was the one who passed out. Needless to say, I had to pry my son off the cabin door to get to security, & then security after viewing the video, called the cabin & asked him to come down. He did & yada yada yada, the process began of tracking down the other kids, parents, staff of Bliss lounge & so on. Did I do this in school? Yes, & it scared the crap out of me. After talk upon talk with my son and after him confiding to one of the teen counselors about what he had done, the counselor explained to him that he was also an X-paramedic & that he actually saw two girls die from this and how dangerous it was. My son eventually got the point that not all things kids try are safe or a good idea. The whole point of these stories is that I truly think that when there is a will to do something there is a way they will find to do it. Hopefully they will have chosen the right choice. Now, these have only been 2 incidents out of 30 some cruises. My son knows where to find me, and has to check in from time to time, and needs to get permission to do or go somewhere other than where he was suppose to be. He does not like to hang with mama, although when he has, he has had fun! Kids do need a certain amount of freedom as they mature into teens. Life is all about learning by our mistakes. How many of us have done the exact thing when we were their age. Funny how things are different when you are the parent. I love my son to death & will continue doing so no matter what he does, but I only hope he makes better choices while choosing who to hang with on the cruises. For the most part, they are really just hanging out scoping out the opposite sex. They do participate in activities with the councelors & they eat dinners together in the main dining rooms and Blue lagoon, or O'Sheehans. Breath a little mama, and let your child enjoy themselves, but keep close tabs on them & who they are with!

Thank you!

If it's a busy week kid-wise, they will seperate the teens ... 13 - 15 and 16 - 17. If not, no worries. The 17 year olds really want nothing to do with the 13 year olds lol A lot of the kids that age do not stay in Entourage. They are allowed to come and go, so just be aware of that. We have seen plenty of teens in Spice at the parties, or hanging outside of Spice during the parties. My kids also told me there were teens walking around picking up drinks adults left behind and drinking them. Luckily mine thought that was beyond gross. But .... Just be aware of that. The best thing to do is to remember when you were that age, and what you tried to get away with. Just being honest .... lay down the law. I did, especially at 13, 14, and 15. They knew if they left that teen club 1 - I would find out (I always find out, and they know that) and 2 - they would be glued to me for the remainder of the cruise. This is at night. Obviously, during the day, there weren't any issues with any teens that I saw. I never had an issue with mine, but there were plenty of issues with other teens that we saw.

Edited - just to clarify - we never, ever, ever had an issue! My kids have been crusing since they were 7. Never once had an issue, and they always had a blast.

Edited by SissasMomE

My son, who is now 22, says some of the best time he had was in the kids and teen clubs. He has been on a dozen cruises and made many friends throughout his vacations. We have never had an issue with him in the club, in fact I was always at ease knowing he was in good hands. Now my Granddaughter cruises with us and is now about to go on her 8th cruise with us this Wednesday on the Gem, is looking forward to once again be in the kids club.

No worries,

If it's a busy week kid-wise, they will seperate the teens ... 13 - 15 and 16 - 17. If not, no worries. The 17 year olds really want nothing to do with the 13 year olds lol A lot of the kids that age do not stay in Entourage. They are allowed to come and go, so just be aware of that. We have seen plenty of teens in Spice at the parties, or hanging outside of Spice during the parties. My kids also told me there were teens walking around picking up drinks adults left behind and drinking them. Luckily mine thought that was beyond gross. But .... Just be aware of that. The best thing to do is to remember when you were that age, and what you tried to get away with. Just being honest .... lay down the law. I did, especially at 13, 14, and 15. They knew if they left that teen club 1 - I would find out (I always find out, and they know that) and 2 - they would be glued to me for the remainder of the cruise. This is at night. Obviously, during the day, there weren't any issues with any teens that I saw. I never had an issue with mine, but there were plenty of issues with other teens that we saw.

Edited - just to clarify - we never, ever, ever had an issue! My kids have been crusing since they were 7. Never once had an issue, and they always had a blast.

Reminds me of the scene from Caddyshack when Spaulding got the drink with the cigarette in it and later threw.

My granddaughter is 16 and has been cruising with me since she was 2...she is preparing to go on her 24th cruise with me this March. When she left the kids club to go to the teens club she was "scared".....she would walk around...around it and finally got enough nerve to go inside. Bottom line....she had a great time and she meets tons of kids from all over the nation when we cruise. She has boundaries and for the most part keeps up her end of the bargain. Only once did she break curfew and I found her, a bunch of teens and the teen counselor eating pizza at the pool deck....she got the wrath from me and has never broken curfew again!

Thank you!

I am assuming you are asking for your upcoming cruise on the Dawn in March. Dawn entourage is different from a larger ship. Our 13 year 6 month old went to Entourage and we too were concerned. Yes, she stayed out until 1am, she was in the entourage area with other teens. Also a little hint, if you're worried you can walk around the outside of the ship on the Dawn and actually look into entourage and splash academy as you walk deck 13. We often found her with friends in garden cafe or the forward hot tub on deck 13. She checked in with us and had a blast. She still keeps in touch with friends made on the ship. There are organized activities and times that are supervised.