Beaches at St. Maarten

sports addict

St. Maarten is one of our stops on our upcoming Breeze cruise. We were told about a beach where the airplanes fly right over your head. Has anyone been to this beach ? If so, how loud is it when he planes fly overhead ? One member of our group has a pacemaker and is a little worried and the noise level. Thanks in advance for any answers.

Yes, the airport beach is called Maho Beach. Google for some neat pictures and videos! It's SO much fun. There is a bar at one end, and your friend could hang out in there. I didn't think it was too loud, just very strong winds to be mindful of. Gotta hold on to lightweight items, otherwise they'll fly away.

We are split down the middle on this one:):)

Years ago before Maho was such a touristy place we got a spot by Sunset and others were down by Guy's and this young couple strolled up the beach and put their blanket down and must have wondered why we had all left the best part of the beach for them. Well not 5 minutes later a huge jet comes in to land and they thought it was coming for them. Once they realized that they were not going to die, they thought it was pretty funny.:D

Le Galion was largely clear of seaweed today. Orient is pretty clear as is Dawn. It seems that there is a lot of floating weed out there which gets brought in if the wind stays steady for several days from a particular direction.

The good point is that clean up efforts appear rather effective on most beaches, so the smell is no longer a problem.

Years ago before Maho was such a touristy place we got a spot by Sunset and others were down by Guy's and this young couple strolled up the beach and put their blanket down and must have wondered why we had all left the best part of the beach for them. Well not 5 minutes later a huge jet comes in to land and they thought it was coming for them. Once they realized that they were not going to die, they thought it was pretty funny.:D

lmfao, that would have been great to see

it is a crowded beach, was hoping to see more huge planes but we were only there for 3 hours

We were in St. Maarten a week ago (1/20) and did not go to Orient Beach like we normally do because of the reports of seaweed from the recent hurricane. Those who did wish they had not because of the seaweed. Seems it's better some days than others.

Orient is a lovely beach so, hopefully, it will be totally back to normal soon.

LuLu

I want a quiet beach........so NO planes overhead (sounds like my idea of hell). No seaweed or pollution or strange smells, or broken glass. Would hope for a restaurant or snack shack, nothing fancy, chair and umbrella, and not a thousand people! Been thinking of Pinel Island since I was there in 2008, but some still love it and others say it has changed?? I will be taking a taxi, and hope to arrange to be picked up by the same taxi, so I'm not stranded and miss my ship (Eclipse) leaving at 5. Going on April 9 with 12,000 people in port. Don't want a tour, this will be just a beach day after doing 8 islands.

I want a quiet beach........so NO planes overhead (sounds like my idea of hell). No seaweed or pollution or strange smells, or broken glass. Would hope for a restaurant or snack shack, nothing fancy, chair and umbrella, and not a thousand people! Been thinking of Pinel Island since I was there in 2008, but some still love it and others say it has changed?? I will be taking a taxi, and hope to arrange to be picked up by the same taxi, so I'm not stranded and miss my ship (Eclipse) leaving at 5. Going on April 9 with 12,000 people in port. Don't want a tour, this will be just a beach day after doing 8 islands.

Pinel could be a problem - with a ferry and then a taxi, there is a chance of delay, so you would have to get an early start back. Think about Le Galion or Dawn Beach on the east side for ease of getting back to the ship; or Simpsons Bay or Mullet for calm - but some risk of PM traffic getting back to Phillipsburg.

My idea of a great beach would be clean sand, clear & calm waters, restrooms, a pub and grille, umbrellas & chairs, not too crowded, and not more than an hour away from the ship. Anyone know of one that meets these criteria? Or am I just fantasizing?