Why book directly with the ship??

flames9

Isn't that the truth. I especially hate the big online agencies that advertise on CC who inflate the brochure price and compare it to the same price I can get if I booked with the cruise line. That just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I feel like I'm being scammed. I wouldn't support this kind of advertising no matter what they offered.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Plenty of other travel forums.....facebook groups....where one can do research

I've taken three Celebrity cruises in the last three years ( in addition to a handful of others over the years) and used three different agencies. Even when I liked one responsive and personable TA very much, I couldn't use them for a second time as I was leaving $650.00 per cabin OBC (2 cabins) on the table. Just too much to walk away from. I've never had an issue upgrading, changing cabins or getting a valid price reduction through a TA. Regarding group or special offer bookings(senior, cc member discount, etc) vs. taking 123, many TA's offer paid grats and an OBC already., even on special offers. The difference is only the beverage package. I've found that doing a little math is beneficial; last year we took a 1400 p/cabin discount, paid for drinks outright (about 500 on a port intensive cruise with no skimping, which the OBC covered) and came out way ahead. On that cruise our CruiseCritic compadres were blown away by the cost we paid vs. what most of them paid either directly through celeb or through future cruises during a previous cruise. The cruise business is one crazy game and it does pay to shop!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The first several cruises we booked I did on my own through the cruise line. Then I discovered after talking to several fellow cruisers on different cruises that I was leaving an awful lot on the table in the way of "perks" by booking on my own. I was given some contacts for different TA's and started shopping around. I swear my TA works 25 hours a day! I have never waited more than an hour for her to contact me back and on our upcoming two cruises I have more OBC than we are going to know what to do with ;) I have always received all the price drops and have moved cabins/categories when requested. I see no reason to ever book directly again. She even told me to book on the ship this last time to score the extra OBC by doing that. THe ship automatically transferred my booking to her and by the time I arrived home I had all the info from her on what she was also throwing in along with my invoice in my inbox.

Edited by itzmered

We just booked a b2b on Reflection for Jan. 2016 while on board last week. Usually I would keep the reservation and not transfer it.

My husband had booked a cruise with Princess through a local TA for Sept. 2015 and we are now going to cancel the booking. He would like us to transfer our new b2b booking to the TA.

My question is if we do that, can I still pay for drink pkg. upgrades and perhaps pay for a dinner package through the Celebrity website or will I have to go through the TA for this as well?

thanks in advance,

Pat

We have done one Caribbean cruise and book really early.

I like to plan my own trip, airfare, tours, etc.

I always check online TAs for good deals and most of the time the cruises that I book (Asia, South America, Europe, Australia) are not even offered by the TAs.

When my cruise is offered, it is rare that any benefits over X are offered and when they are, they are small.

I prefer controlling my own reservation, calling if prices drop (most of the time prices don't drop, since I book early) and getting lower prices or more bennies.

From conversations with fellow cruisers, it appears that many Caribbean cruises have TA deals and online TAs frequently offer special deals, however, that is usually several months after I have already booked.

I am already looking for booking something in the second half of 2016, which is normally late for me.

There are all kinds of TAs: brick and mortar travel agencies, online Travel sites that specialize in cruises. I have used both of these types for booking my cruises. One thing about the online agency is their office hours, and trying to reach them by phone in evening or weekends.The brick and mortar one was easy to contact and quick to reply, and got us upgraded in a matter of minutes when we contacted her.

Then there are the TA that book folks after final payment and must have some kind of list of folks who can go at last minute and take whatever cabins are left.

On a 12 night Eastern Med, I ran into some of these folks on our roll call. They were all part of this TA group, but they did not know their actual cabin until a couple of weeks before the cruise.

Currently, working on booking a 2016 European cruise, with an open passage. Will offer it to two different TA if they can add some additional perks, or we can just leave it with Celebrity.

Isn't that the truth. I especially hate the big online agencies that advertise on CC who inflate the brochure price and compare it to the same price I can get if I booked with the cruise line. That just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I feel like I'm being scammed. I wouldn't support this kind of advertising no matter what they offered.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have used the same large online TA for years. Even when booking while onboard getting all the benefits that affords me, I transfer the booking to my TA and get significant additional perks.

I have been planning a cruise for Feb. 2016 and last week chose my date and itinerary. I priced my cabin category choice on Celebrity and decided to wait awhile and watch the price for a bit. Two days later I received an email from my TA advertising a current big sale, expires today, that offers the cabin category I had selected for $400 less per person than Celebrity's current price, gives me Celebrity's current promo of the beverage package, pre-paid gratuities and $300 in OBC, plus an additional $300 OBC from the TA.

This is why I never book directly with Celebrity and leave the reservation with them. If I had with this booking, I would be paying $800 more for the cabin and would have been out $300 in OBC.

I have used my TA for about six years now and have never been disappointed. I have had them handle changes, price drops and other issues and they' veal ways done a great job.

I have used my TA for about six years now and have never been disappointed. I have had them handle changes, price drops and other issues and they' veal ways done a great job.

With the TA handling your trip, can you access your booking on the Celebrity website and reserve speciality dining for example or perhaps prepay gratuities or do you go through your TA for such items?

I have used the same large online TA for years. Even when booking while onboard getting all the benefits that affords me, I transfer the booking to my TA and get significant additional perks.

I have been planning a cruise for Feb. 2016 and last week chose my date and itinerary. I priced my cabin category choice on Celebrity and decided to wait awhile and watch the price for a bit. Two days later I received an email from my TA advertising a current big sale, expires today, that offers the cabin category I had selected for $400 less per person than Celebrity's current price, gives me Celebrity's current promo of the beverage package, pre-paid gratuities and $300 in OBC, plus an additional $300 OBC from the TA.

This is why I never book directly with Celebrity and leave the reservation with them. If I had with this booking, I would be paying $800 more for the cabin and would have been out $300 in OBC.

Would you please send me an e+mail @stuartlake@btinernet.com with there details

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

With the TA handling your trip, can you access your booking on the Celebrity website and reserve speciality dining for example or perhaps prepay gratuities or do you go through your TA for such items?

I can access my reservation on Celebrity's website and make reservations for dining and shore excursions. Price drops or any other changes in the reservation itself are done through my TA.