Adventure of the Seas w/ kids Barbados route

tuliplvr

Hi everyone,

I am booked for AOS for July 2015 the Barbados route with my family of 4 (two kids ages 15 and 11). My husband and I took this same cruise 5 years ago. My kids have cruised once on Disney and absolutely loved it. We booked this ship and cruise so the kids could see the Southern C. islands. Honestly, though, I'm rethinking going due to the reviews and only 78% of cruisers recommending it. I'm booked in cabin 3618 ocean view and I'm worried that for a family of 4 it will be a nightmare.

1) Has anyone with a family of 4 stayed in a similar type cabin? If so, was it awful? I'm trying to figure out how the sleeping arrangements are.

2) reading the excursions they aren't getting great reviews. Have most of you done ones thru Royal C or done ones on your own? We are thinking just beach excursions or maybe one zip line.

My husband and I really liked Adventure but that was 5 years ago and it was just the two of us. Any feedback I'd really appreciate . Thank you so much

Hi everyone,

I am booked for AOS for July 2015 the Barbados route with my family of 4 (two kids ages 15 and 11). My husband and I took this same cruise 5 years ago. My kids have cruised once on Disney and absolutely loved it. We booked this ship and cruise so the kids could see the Southern C. islands. Honestly, though, I'm rethinking going due to the reviews and only 78% of cruisers recommending it. I'm booked in cabin 3618 ocean view and I'm worried that for a family of 4 it will be a nightmare.

1) Has anyone with a family of 4 stayed in a similar type cabin? If so, was it awful? I'm trying to figure out how the sleeping arrangements are.

2) reading the excursions they aren't getting great reviews. Have most of you done ones thru Royal C or done ones on your own? We are thinking just beach excursions or maybe one zip line.

My husband and I really liked Adventure but that was 5 years ago and it was just the two of us. Any feedback I'd really appreciate . Thank you so much

I did my own excursions in the Southern Caribbean, and highly recommend doing that.

Not every AD cruise hits the same ports. I will leave out St. Croix and St. Kitts, since those seem to be the only difference. :)

Antigua: Go to the beach.

St. Lucia: Herod's, Cosol, Spencer Ambrose, James - all get equally good reviews. I DO suggest doing one of their tours here.

Barbados: You can't do a better tour than Ted's. If you just want to go to a beach, there are lots of those.

St. Maarten: one of the most popular islands in the Caribbean. water sports to shopping, it has it all.

Use the Cruise Critic boards for your ports for more ideas:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=587

Edited by Merion_Mom

I would hate for some of those reviews to deter you from taking that cruise. That specific itinerary is one of the best out there, and hard to beat. We cruise on the Adventure specifically for the 2 itineraries that it sails, and this year (as we had to shorten our vacation down to just 1 cruise), we picked that exact one.

I wouldn't worry about the reviews of the ship itself. I'm confident that I can find a problem on any ship, but last I looked, faded paint and some worn carpets didn't actually impact my ability to enjoy myself. The staff were great.

From a port perspective, I tend to agree with the above poster:

Antigua: It's a great place to go to the beach. There are many to choose from and if you go to one like Dickinson, there are ample activities to choose from and places to eat.

Barbados: I'm a beach person, so I tend to stick to that on this island as well. Carlisle Bay is a great place for paddleboarding, and where I am likely to be found. They also have great snorkeling tours which I have done a number of times.

St. Lucia: Try and book a tour if you can. The above poster mentioned some reputable operators. I find that trying to arrange one by myself when I get there is overwhelming and I'm not really sure who to trust.

St. Maarten: There are various water activities at Orient Beach, but there is also a lot more to do on this island, such as shopping.

As a whole, I arrange my own activities at all of the ports on day of arrival. :)

Did I mention I do sail on the Adventure a fair bit? This will be our 11th-ish time on it.

Hi everyone,

My wife and I sailed on the Adventure in 2011 on a Southern A route to Aruba. In 59 days we sail the Adventure on the Southern B route to Barbados. We love the ship. It was " refreshed" last year (not refurbished). Touch screen information viewers, flat screen tv's, carpeting, bedding, large pool tv, etc...

From what I heard, the AstroTurf carpet on the pool deck was removed for wood decking.

We plan on a catamaran lunch,snorkel,beach sail in Barbados. An island tour on St. Lucia. Swim with stingrays on St. John's. Taxi to Marigot and Maho Beach on St. Maarten. A beach day in St. Croix.

There's as much or as little for you and your family to do.

I'm confident the Adventure will be in fine shape when we arrive. Having sailed on most classes of Royals ships, the Adventure to me ranks second only to the Independence of the Seas( my favorite).

Edited by tsconley19

I was the same way booking a Southern Caribbean cruise (Jewel of the Seas) but I held fast. Ended up getting two balcony rooms (due to dropping prices, watch them!) We did a different port every day and it was awesome!!! My teens enjoyed it! We did Chocolate factory in Barbados in the morning & Carlisle Bay Beach in the afternoon, heavenly! Go!!!!!:D

Our vacation video (under 4 minutes)

Edited by BLAMBKY

Thank you all so much for your replies. Makes me feel better about it. I really loved the cruise 5 years ago and thought the ports were great. I appreciate the recommendations on what to do for excursions on our own. I really can't believe how expensive the excursions thru the ship are and so many get bad reviews!

My only concern now is all being in that one room. If anyone has stayed in a similar size room I'd appreciate any feedback. I can't remember how much storage space there is for all of the luggage..

Blambky- I really enjoyed your video, thanks for the link! Where were you with the kids jumping into the water with the water falls? Also, how close to the cruise were you able to get 2 rooms?

I sailed on Adventure a few years ago and loved it. I am booked for Feb. and really looking forward to it. I don't need to add anything about ports etc. as you already got some good info from others.

This year I am taking my family with us. We also have an oceanview room with four in it, two adults and two kids. When I return in late Feb. I'll post how the sleeping conditions, luggage storage etc. worked out.

Thank you all so much for your replies. Makes me feel better about it. I really loved the cruise 5 years ago and thought the ports were great. I appreciate the recommendations on what to do for excursions on our own. I really can't believe how expensive the excursions thru the ship are and so many get bad reviews!

My only concern now is all being in that one room. If anyone has stayed in a similar size room I'd appreciate any feedback. I can't remember how much storage space there is for all of the luggage..

Blambky- I really enjoyed your video, thanks for the link! Where were you with the kids jumping into the water with the water falls? Also, how close to the cruise were you able to get 2 rooms?

You should be able to store up to 2 suitcases under each bed. There might be a spare blanket in a plastic cover stored there. Just use it, or give it to the cabin steward. You should have adequate storage. Less if it's a connecting room due to a door.

Tom

I sailed on Adventure a few years ago and loved it. I am booked for Feb. and really looking forward to it. I don't need to add anything about ports etc. as you already got some good info from others.

This year I am taking my family with us. We also have an oceanview room with four in it, two adults and two kids. When I return in late Feb. I'll post how the sleeping conditions, luggage storage etc. worked out.

Please do.. I'd appreciate that!!! Have a great cruise!

Thanks again everyone!

An oceanview room would be crammed but manageable. ... the 1 bathroom would make it the most challenging, I think.

THERE IS SO MUCH TO DO onshore in those ports. And please, please, don't limit yourself to RCI shore excursions! In St. Thomas during our most recent cruise, for instance, we hired a boat captain and we cruised to the British Virigin islands, random beach bars, deserted beaches etc. It was amazing! In St. Lucia, we again found a private tour that took us to all the major sites. In St. Maarten you can just go to the nearby beach, rent jet skiis, and eat on the beach. I could go on and on....

Glad you liked it, I watch it whenever I need an "escape" :p It was a tour on Dominica (Bumpiing Tours w/Levi) It was a great excursion that I booked over the internet. It seems like it was decent price wise and after doing it, I would say it was worth EVERY penny! The videos of the guys jumping inside the "cave" (actually a grotto) was same tour, waterfall same tour, snorkeling same tour and only part I did not get pictures was the natural hot springs......can you tell it was amazing! Without a doubt my kids would repeat that tour and the American Regatta (St. Martin booked through the ship) and Virgin Gorta Baths (Tortola booked through ship). The thing I realized with the Southern caribbean route, there are so many ports that I did not need to worry about what the ship had to offer (although, Jewel was nice) It seemed like the price change was before final payment, maybe December. We traveled in April and I did not look much after I switched, due to being thrilled with rooms. I would double check and make sure it has a pull down bunk & "sofa" bed. I have noticed sometimes the rooms for four is the main bed, PLUS a sofa bed. This combo would NOT work for my family. We have booked two interiors too and price was better than putting us all in one room. I have heard of other families trying to get a room near the spa, so the guys can use the spa showers, while the rest of the family uses the cabin.....maybe this would help? Have fun & keep us posted on the adventure! We are going to have to book a June trip in March/April, due to college & high school students. (I need to make sure snow days, do not add extra to early June, when we want to go.:rolleyes:)

Edited by BLAMBKY

An oceanview room would be crammed but manageable. ... the 1 bathroom would make it the most challenging, I think.

THERE IS SO MUCH TO DO onshore in those ports. And please, please, don't limit yourself to RCI shore excursions! In St. Thomas during our most recent cruise, for instance, we hired a boat captain and we cruised to the British Virigin islands, random beach bars, deserted beaches etc. It was amazing! In St. Lucia, we again found a private tour that took us to all the major sites. In St. Maarten you can just go to the nearby beach, rent jet skiis, and eat on the beach. I could go on and on....

I agree about the one bathroom!! On Disney we had two so we could deal but its scary to think of all 4 trying to get ready in one room! Everyone has convinced me to definitely look at planning our own excursions. Thanks for the feedback!

Glad you liked it, I watch it whenever I need an "escape" :p It was a tour on Dominica (Bumpiing Tours w/Levi) It was a great excursion that I booked over the internet. It seems like it was decent price wise and after doing it, I would say it was worth EVERY penny! The videos of the guys jumping inside the "cave" (actually a grotto) was same tour, waterfall same tour, snorkeling same tour and only part I did not get pictures was the natural hot springs......can you tell it was amazing! Without a doubt my kids would repeat that tour and the American Regatta (St. Martin booked through the ship) and Virgin Gorta Baths (Tortola booked through ship). The thing I realized with the Southern caribbean route, there are so many ports that I did not need to worry about what the ship had to offer (although, Jewel was nice) It seemed like the price change was before final payment, maybe December. We traveled in April and I did not look much after I switched, due to being thrilled with rooms. I would double check and make sure it has a pull down bunk & "sofa" bed. I have noticed sometimes the rooms for four is the main bed, PLUS a sofa bed. This combo would NOT work for my family. We have booked two interiors too and price was better than putting us all in one room. I have heard of other families trying to get a room near the spa, so the guys can use the spa showers, while the rest of the family uses the cabin.....maybe this would help? Have fun & keep us posted on the adventure! We are going to have to book a June trip in March/April, due to college & high school students. (I need to make sure snow days, do not add extra to early June, when we want to go.:rolleyes:)

Oh I wish we were stopping at Dominica to take that tour! My kids would have loved it! I honeymooned in Virgin Gorda and went to the baths.. wish I could take the kids there too! Good idea about calling them about the pulldowns vs sofa bed. There is NO WAY my kids would last in that set up. Will call today for sure! Yes, I get what you mean about the snow days. Last year we had a Disney vacation booked and literally we kept getting snow days and had to pick the kids up from school on the last day and head to the airport. Tomorrow 2 feet of snow here!

Our family of 4 stayed in an oceanview room years ago on the Sovereign of the Seas. The cabin was only 122 sq. ft. Was it tight? Yes. Did we let it ruin our vacation? No! The cabin you will be in is 160 sq. ft. and that extra space will make a difference. We don't spend much time in our cabin at all, just sleeping and changing our clothes. Getting ready for dinner will be tight but it's manageable. In the morning we all got up at different times so it wasn't much of an issue. Go enjoy the cruise with your family and don't let the cabin size become an issue.

I've cruised with my family of 4 as well, but on an inside cabin (Not much different). You'll get 2 upper bunks which will house the kids separately, as well as yours which will make a queen bed for the two of you.

As previous posters stated, don't let cramped quarters ruin the experience. It's a vacation, which of course, lends to bonding time with the family, and of course, husband and wife.

I had no issues....... this time, on Adventure, it'll be my wife and I, so we are in a prominade cabin....

As for tours, I encourage booking your own on the pier. Far cheaper and you see more...... I can't remember which island (they all look the same after a while) where he wanted $50 for the day and we took off...stopped at every bar we saw........was a great time.

Cheers!

While I haven't been on AOS, we've sailed the southern Caribbean route several times. In fact, our most recent was a 15 day repositioning cruise that I have been blogging about (link below, has photos as well). Also, we were in 2 interior connecting rooms with 8 of us (2 adults 6 kids, plus a pack-n-play) so personally I wouldn't let the size of the room scare you. You are rarely in the room anyway. :) Like others have mentioned, I have never done a ship tour and took care of either booking private tours or just grabbing a taxi while in port to head to a beach. Our children love cruising and I imagine yours will as well! ;)