Behind the scenes tour on the Getaway

jackg962

Does anyone know if they offer a behind the scenes tour on the getaway. we did one on a carnival ship and they took us thru the kitchen and dowe where all the food is stored. We saw part of engine room and where the crew lives.

There's been a behind the scenes tour on every Norwegian cruise we've been on. It's usually listed in the Freestyle Daily. There is a charge - I would have to find my notes but it wasn't unreasonable.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes.. It's $79.99/person and it's a lot of fun. Just did it the week of x-mas.

Covers the following departments:

Live Entertainment

Main Galley (food prep and storage)

Waste Management

Laundry

and finally some time on the Bridge.

Well worth it. Lots of information and a nice walk down I-95. :)

How many times during the week do they normally offer it && when would it have to be booked by??

It's best to book it shortly after boarding. It all depends on passengers interest as to how quickly the group fills up. If it's anything like the one I took on a Carnival ship, it's awesome to see what really is going on under your feet, it's a whole new world there.

• 2 months later...
It's best to book it shortly after boarding. It all depends on passengers interest as to how quickly the group fills up. If it's anything like the one I took on a Carnival ship, it's awesome to see what really is going on under your feet, it's a whole new world there.

Thanks, I've done it on the ncl jewel 4 years ago. Definitely will inquire about it right away :)

If you are Platinum with Latitudes, there is a free tour. You should see information on it in your room when you check in. We finally did this on the Dawn in early March. It wasn't as long as the tour they charge you for but it was very good and so I'm looking forward to doing this on the Getaway next month. Romeo, the Latitudes on board consultant, took us on the tour and he was great.

If you are Platinum with Latitudes, there is a free tour. You should see information on it in your room when you check in. We finally did this on the Dawn in early March. It wasn't as long as the tour they charge you for but it was very good and so I'm looking forward to doing this on the Getaway next month. Romeo, the Latitudes on board consultant, took us on the tour and he was great.

On Jade couple of weeks ago the Platinum tour was finally called a mini tour because that's what it is - it is not comparable to the paid tour. From my experiences I would't call it "very good" but obiviously it's better than not having a tour at all. ;)

Also good to hear that you had good Future Cruise Consultant, I've been on two different Platinum tours where the guides were abysmal and we were outright lied to because the consultants were so ignorant and unknowledgeable (there weren't different people telling about their respective departments like on the real, paid tour, so the guide's narrative was all we got).

Edited by Demonyte

For the Platinum tour you have to watch when they are having it as on some ships they schedule it at or overlapping with the CC M&G.

The pay tour is much more inclusive than the free latitudes tour. We did it a few months ago and was surprised how expensive it was. They all sell out so book fast. But one reason it is so expensive is that EVERYONE gets a professional photo in a chef's hat in the kitchen. The photo is also in one of those photo book cases you would buy for an embarkation photo. So that is really $35 of the price. If you have 5 people in your family.....everyone gets the photo. Ours turned out really nice so I am glad we did it.

The tour takes you behind the scenes of entertainment, kitchen areas, food prep, recycling room, laundry room, and the crew restaurant. It ends in the bridge which is really cool. You get to see all the instruments they use to maneuver the ship. I would say the tour is not for little kids. We had a 8 year old on the tour and he was very annoyed and impatient standing around for 90 minutes.

Its definitely an interesting tour

It ends in the bridge which is really cool

That is not granted and depends on the captain and several other variables like weather/traffic/etc situations that can limit access. I've been on full tour that only visited the bridge viewing room with 3rd officer meeting us there.

What time is the tour offered and how long does it run?

Is there a dress code? On Carnival, long pants and closed toe shoes are required.

I'm shocked to hear an 8 year old was in attendance! Usually, under 16 is prohibited from crew areas.