Man overboard on Sapphire Princess

marypa

Someone posted that he noticed him because he was in the water shouting which made me think he panicked after he hit the water. From what paramedics tell me, people are often combative when they're rescued. Hysteria, fear, who knows.

I just hope this guy gets help and can lead a productive life.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The passenger, a 19 year old Chinese man, was traveling with his sister. He was not drunk as many have speculated, but mentally challenged. His poor sister watched him run to the edge of deck14 and jump over in one fluid movement before she could stop him. The poor man said he heard voices from the ocean. Thankfully the Captain and crew found him in the pitch black ocean and in less than 40 minutes. He was of course disembarked the following day as he was obviously not in his right mind to be on a cruise ship. A lucky man and a lucky family and applause to the Captain and crew of Sapphire.

The passenger, a 19 year old Chinese man, was traveling with his sister. He was not drunk as many have speculated, but mentally challenged. His poor sister watched him run to the edge of deck14 and jump over in one fluid movement before she could stop him. The poor man said he heard voices from the ocean. Thankfully the Captain and crew found him in the pitch black ocean and in less than 40 minutes. He was of course disembarked the following day as he was obviously not in his right mind to be on a cruise ship. A lucky man and a lucky family and applause to the Captain and crew of Sapphire.

And this should put an end to the comments .

The young man was most likely suffering from a serious mental illness.

I feel sorry for his sister who witnessed him going overboard.

Mental illnesses are so difficult to understand. Difficult for the person coping with the illness and loved ones trying to help the person.

I hope the young man can receive good medical help so that he will be able to function and live a good life.

Enough said.