Man overboard on Sapphire Princess

marypa

It is a shame that Darwin did not take precedence over rescuing. Just think - this idiot may have children and pass his genes on to his offspring.

DON

You make a good point for denutering. It would be nice to know the age. It he was underage and drinking that would be a problems. We were on a cruise with my DD when she was 17 and running around with some other teenagers. They ran into some 20 something dudes that bought them alcohol. We keep good tabs on them and expecially the DD. They wanted to go off ship in Nasau, but we would not allow he to go. The other girl did and got wasted, Nice girl but you never know what happens. Luckly nothing serious happened.

It is a shame that Darwin did not take precedence over rescuing. Just think - this idiot may have children and pass his genes on to his offspring.

DON

IMHO, every person has value and it's not up to me to judge his or her value.

I think that this post is out of line.

Maureen

We experienced our first ever man overboard on Sapphire last week.A young man dived from deck 13 (we think) and the captain announced man overboard on the tanoid. A few people through life jackets to mark the stop. The ship turned and ribs and tenders were deployed and search lights. I thought he must have been killed in the fall and was devastated to have knowledge of it

I couldn't believe that they found him! A miracle in my view and all credit to the Captain and crew who saved his life

He was thrown off at the next port with his family(so we heard)

He was a 19 yr old chinese lad who jumped over the side after an argument with family it was pitch black.I was on our Baja balcony on the starboard side we eventually heard him cry for help and watched him hauled onto a rubber ducky .The Captain and ships crew did an amazing job to turn the ship around cut the engines and find him alive ,they were absolutely awesome and deserve a medal.Go Sapphire princess.

If you think the guy on the Sapphire was lucky here is a better one:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/13/us/man-overboard-cruise-rescue/index.html

Hank

Ahhhhhhhhh........ I see our old "friend" Jim Walker being quoted. The man hates cruise lines with a passion.

This was definitely one extremely lucky person to be spotted by another ship.

How sad to read of those who felt it necessary to spill your mouth of nasty judgements. Only that young man and possibly his parents know the full details of why he felt compelled to do what he did. Shame on you for lack of compassion. May neither you or your loved ones feel so hopeless.

How sad to read of those who felt it necessary to spill your mouth of nasty judgements. Only that young man and possibly his parents know the full details of why he felt compelled to do what he did. Shame on you for lack of compassion. May neither you or your loved ones feel so hopeless.

Thank you for saying that. The total lack of compassion, on the part of some, is sad and mind boggling.. Where is your humanity?

We experienced our first ever man overboard on Sapphire last week.A young man dived from deck 13 (we think) and the captain announced man overboard on the tanoid. A few people through life jackets to mark the stop. The ship turned and ribs and tenders were deployed and search lights. I thought he must have been killed in the fall and was devastated to have knowledge of it

I couldn't believe that they found him! A miracle in my view and all credit to the Captain and crew who saved his life

He was thrown off at the next port with his family(so we heard)

What port was he and his family thrown off?

Edited by Kingofcool1947

The guy who jumped had a total lack of compassion for the thousands of others on the ship who would be affected by his stupid stunt. Society needs to have more compassion for victims than perpetrators - too often it's the other way around...

Exactly.

Unless he suffered from some mental instability disorder that contributed to his action, or the fall was accidental, I can't think of any reasonable defence for such irresponsible action.

Since none of us know his mental/emotional state, why do some resort to cruelty and downright mean spririted comments? That's where the lack of compassion comes in. If I knew for a fact that he pulled this "stunt" with no mental/emotional stability as a factor, I'd be less sympathetic, but until then, I'm not going down a heartless path. I love cc, but it's a pretty tough crowd sometimes.

Since none of us know his mental/emotional state, why do some resort to cruelty and downright mean spririted comments? That's where the lack of compassion comes in. If I knew for a fact that he pulled this "stunt" with no mental/emotional stability as a factor, I'd be less sympathetic, but until then, I'm not going down a heartless path. I love cc, but it's a pretty tough crowd sometimes.

It's because they feel brave sitting behind a keyboard and wouldn't dare say the same things to someone's face.

I see a lot of comments all over cruise critic when suicides occur, saying how selfish the person is for ruining their holiday, or for hurting their family, and not showing once ounce of compassion towards the victim. People who commit, or try to commit, suicide are not thinking straight, and are not in a normal state of mind. Their only thought is to end their own pain, not to hurt others. You cannot tell by looking at, or talking to, someone to know if they are depressed. It is a hidden illness that unfortunately go mostly unnoticed.

NO ONE on here knows the reasons why he threw himself over the side, and never will.

I have been on a cruise when a passenger jumped overboard in the middle of the night. The ship turned around and searched until morning when the coast guard took over, but he was never found. The details were never officially announced on the ship, but rumor was that alcohol was involved and he was running from security. It was very sad.

What port was he and his family thrown off?

He and family were off in Bali

I was in tears thinking it was a suicide when we heard the announcement

I was equally angry when I heard it was a selfish 19 year old chinese boy

He was shouting and aggressive and had to be restrained by the crew when they picked him up

We watched the whole process from our balcony on Dolphin deck

A man jumped overboard as his ship returned from a cruise. Because it happened here in Jax, the local paper did an article about deliberate overboards. The conclusion was that a high percentage happen as the ship is returning, often on the last night.

It's so sad to think of the despair that causes people to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's because they feel brave sitting behind a keyboard and wouldn't dare say the same things to someone's face.

I see a lot of comments all over cruise critic when suicides occur, saying how selfish the person is for ruining their holiday, or for hurting their family, and not showing once ounce of compassion towards the victim. People who commit, or try to commit, suicide are not thinking straight, and are not in a normal state of mind. Their only thought is to end their own pain, not to hurt others. You cannot tell by looking at, or talking to, someone to know if they are depressed. It is a hidden illness that unfortunately go mostly unnoticed.

NO ONE on here knows the reasons why he threw himself over the side, and never will.

Many of us appreciate your thoughtful post. Thank you.

Can you just fall off a ship?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

As far as I can tell, that would be highly unlikely. Some amount of climbing, on the railing or a chair placed close to the railing, seems to be the only way to "fall".

Also, in response to someone who posted that the young man was shouting and agressive when rescued, and thereby less deserving of sympathy, I'd like to point out that emotional instability or suicidal intent will probably not make a person grateful for rescue. I do not know if this young man was either of those things but his reaction to being rescued doesn't prove anything.