First cruise after a dry dock

dland4us

What are pros and cons of taking the first cruise after a ship comes out of dry dock? Our next cruise is on a ship directly out of dry dock. Have never done this before.

Thanks for your replies!

What ship will you be on? Sometimes after dry dock things might not be finished and there will be maintenance going on.

We were on the Legend the week after dry dock & said never again!!!!!!!!

Everything was dusty & there was so much work still going on it was hard to get around. The crew was stressed big time & very tired.

However the slot machines were so loss & that makes for a fun cruise, if you can win enough to keep you playing I'm in there. :D

Char

All good advice. NEVER do the first cruise after dry dock. In fact wait for 3-4 more cruises just to be sure. :cool:

Dry docks often start before (having supplies on board in public areas, and starting to take stuff apart / even closing venues for advance work), until after (finishing the work not completed in dry dock).

We are sailing on Miracle. Had no idea when we booked that Miracle was coming directly out of dry dock. Now I'm worried that we won't have an enjoyable cruise. This will be our 9th cruise and have never had a bad one. This information, however, gives me pause. :confused:

We are sailing on Miracle. Had no idea when we booked that Miracle was coming directly out of dry dock. Now I'm worried that we won't have an enjoyable cruise. This will be our 9th cruise and have never had a bad one. This information, however, gives me pause. :confused:

I think the Pride had a three week dry dock and the Miracle is only scheduled for two weeks. Both Spirit Class ships. The Miracle doesn't sound like its getting the same upgrades but it makes one wonder if that's enough time. I'm sure you'll be fine. Enjoy your cruise. The Miracle is a great ship.

I think the Pride had a three week dry dock and the Miracle is only scheduled for two weeks. Both Spirit Class ships. The Miracle doesn't sound like its getting the same upgrades but it makes one wonder if that's enough time. I'm sure you'll be fine. Enjoy your cruise. The Miracle is a great ship.

When the Legend went in it was for two weeks also & that just wasn't enough time. They were putting the big slide together right over the serenity deck not serene at all. The Bon si sushi was not even beginning to be done so we had that mess all week.

With all that being said just go knowing that it will be a little off & you are going to have a great cruise. :)

Char

What are pros and cons of taking the first cruise after a ship comes out of dry dock? Our next cruise is on a ship directly out of dry dock. Have never done this before.

Thanks for your replies!

Three words: DONT DO IT!

We got caught on one and the work not finished continued on our cruise. And over the years have found more horror stories than not.

We were on the Legend the week after dry dock & said never again!!!!!!!!

Everything was dusty & there was so much work still going on it was hard to get around. The crew was stressed big time & very tired.

However the slot machines were so loss & that makes for a fun cruise, if you can win enough to keep you playing I'm in there. :D

Char

I agree. We went on the second cruise after the Sensation had come out of dry dock. What a mess! Sections of the lido deck were roped off because the wood deck was still being worked on. Dust and construction trash was all over the ship. I avoid sailing after dry dock like avoiding elementry schools during flu and snoot season.

We were on the legend the same first sailing out of dry dock last February. It wasn't that bad. A little inconvenient that they weren't finished but I'm in construction so that doesn't bother me I guess. Serenity was noisy and the slide didn't open until the last sea day. Still had a good time nonetheless:).

Thanks for your replies!

I wouldn't even consider booking a cruise until several weeks after dry dock, so as to let them finish unfinished dry dock work and let them resolve problems from the dry dock work. ken

Edited by Ken076

We were on the legend the same first sailing out of dry dock last February. It wasn't that bad. A little inconvenient that they weren't finished but I'm in construction so that doesn't bother me I guess. Serenity was noisy and the slide didn't open until the last sea day. Still had a good time nonetheless:).

We to had a good time but just the mess. If I can avoid it I will.

I see that we cruised together then & are going to be on the Pride together next Mth.

Thought I saw you on the roll call.

Char

Now that we have established that going on a cruise directly after a ship has been in dry dock, may I ask ; How did you figure that out? Is there a website or do they tell you upfront?

I hope this reply works. We learned of the dry dock through posts on Cruise Critic and John Heald's blog. Had no idea that we were on the first sailing after dry dock.

We did a cruise on he Freedom last spring after dry dock. It was the 2nd cruise after dry dock and many things were not done. Areas were closed for construction. Welding, hammering and painting everywhere. The worst was the new kids area was still under construction so the kids were in every area of the ship they could find for camp carnival. We didn't leave until after 7:00PM the first day so they could load supplies.

It was still a good cruise but we would never do it again.