A review from the Aft of the Jewel - January 17, 2015

jmele999

Love love love your review! We'll be on the 3/7 Jewel cruise.

Couple questions (we're in an inside room, so won't have any extra fancy perks):

Were the martini and mojito flights available to everyone everyday, and are they included with the UDP?

Also, you mentioned earlier that there are bathroom towels available. Do they offer complimentary beach towels for use at the pool, or should we bring our own?

Thanks for your comments.

The martini and mojito flights are available to everyone everyday. However, you cannot use the UBP because they cost $15 each, and the maximum per drink for the UBP is $10. Most of the martinis and Mojitos are under $10 so you can get them with the UBP.

There would be complementary towels for you to use. No need to bring your own.

Edited by jmele999

JMELE999, thanks so much for posting such a thorough review! It's been so fun to look forward to your daily posts of information and great pictures. :) You have made my anticipation of my upcoming cruise even more exciting.

Thanks for following the review and enjoy your upcoming cruise.

Great picture! You two look really happy. Thanks for posting that picture so we could put a face to the words.

Cannot wait to be back on the Jewel. Will think of you both when I am enjoying the sun deck. Thanks to you I know how to find it now.

Thanks Donna. Enjoy the Jewel and the sunshine

What a great picture! How wonderful to be able to put faces to your story!

I am so sad that your review has come to an end. Checking for updates has been the highlight of my day!

Only 5 more sleeps until we board. Thank you SO much for giving us so much to look forward to! :D

Glad to hear that you enjoyed the review. Hope you are enjoying the cruise.

Thank you for the wonderful review as usual! Brings back wonderful memories with you guys last year. Can't wait until 2017!

We are also looking forward to 2017. Our cruise last year was one of our favorites and looking forward to doing it again in 2017. Don't work too much and take care of yourself.

Edited by jmele999

• 1 month later...
We were in aft balcony suite 9672 a few weeks ago. Not sure why, but we never had any soot and our cushions never got wet (except the one morning it rained). Our balcony was a little smaller than yours, but it had room for a full size lounge chair, a second chair that reclined and hat an outdoor ottoman, and a small table. Love the aft balconies; no wind and very quiet.

Hi Kells, We're booked in that same cabin for an upcoming cruise. It's a disabled cabin, and I was wondering about the configuration of the bathroom. Is the toilet more accessible that they usual "toilet in a box/closet" configuration?

Hi Kells, We're booked in that same cabin for an upcoming cruise. It's a disabled cabin, and I was wondering about the configuration of the bathroom. Is the toilet more accessible that they usual "toilet in a box/closet" configuration?

That was our cabin in February. Yes, the toilet is extremely accessible. The bathroom is nice and big. The cabin is amazing and huge! The balcony is smaller.

Before dinner we decided to stop by the Sugarcane Mojito Bar, which is located inside Moderno to enjoy some Mojitos.

IMG_3094_zpss9wzeofj.jpg

IMG_3093_zpse3ideicj.jpg

I ordered the mojito flight ($15).

IMG_3096_zpsx86cdpv8.jpg

And DP had the pimms cup

IMG_2368_zpsjl0i6wpt.jpg

The mojito flight was very interesting and tasty. My favorite was the spicy passion mojito, but have to say that the jalapeño cucumber mojito was very very good. DP enjoyed his pimm's cup and even enjoyed some of my mojitos:mad:. Overall the mojito flight is a great deal for $15 and I wish that we had more time to enjoy another flight.

Mojito's all look yummy. Do you happen to have a picture of the Mojito Bar, especially the chairs? The ones on the Star were the same chairs that were in the Star Bar, you know, the ones that are shaped like a barrel, that really don't fit a lot of passengers.

Mojito's all look yummy. Do you happen to have a picture of the Mojito Bar, especially the chairs? The ones on the Star were the same chairs that were in the Star Bar, you know, the ones that are shaped like a barrel, that really don't fit a lot of passengers.

I do not like mint so I preferred the Martini Tasting and it was a blast!! It was scheduled 3 times on our cruise and I attended all 3 at $15 each. It's not included with the UBP.

I did not see any chairs at any of the bars shaped like barrels. That sounds very uncomfortable. However, if you get somewhere and would like a different kind of chair wherever you are on the ship, request it and they will get it for you. Since you will be in the Penthouse, your cruise ship card will reflect a certain color, where it around your neck and you will get preferential treatment for everything.

That was our cabin in February. Yes, the toilet is extremely accessible. The bathroom is nice and big. The cabin is amazing and huge! The balcony is smaller.

Does it have any kind of a sofa? The only pictures I'm finding on the web don't show a sofa, or love seat, like most suites have.

Does it have any kind of a sofa? The only pictures I'm finding on the web don't show a sofa, or love seat, like most suites have.

There is a small sofa. You are more than welcome to email me for pics as they are hard to post on here. tanyaheart at yahoo dot com.

Pam: It is a HC suite (which we didn't need; we wanted an aft balcony suite with a nearby balcony cabin for our kids, and this is what they gave us. There are several long threads elsewhere about non-HC cruisers in HC cabins, if you are interested). The bathroom was identical (as far as we could tell; this was our first cruise) to any other, except: 1) the mirror had an adjustment to allow it to angle down; 2) there were a few additional grab bars; and 3) the shower, while largely full sized, had a curtain on two sides rather than door or walls, and a drain built in to the floor on both of the non-walled sides. Once or twice during the trip, when the boat was rocking a little bit more, during a very long shower, a little water overran the drain into the bathroom. We placed a rolled up bath towel on the outside of that drain, and there was never a problem after that. Otherwise, the room did not seem to be any different, except I am told it is a bit more spacious than other non HC suites, to allow room for a wheelchair or scooter. We loved it. Great views, quiet, really very nice. Hope this helps, and feel free to ask any other questions.

Bill

Pam: It is a HC suite (which we didn't need; we wanted an aft balcony suite with a nearby balcony cabin for our kids, and this is what they gave us. There are several long threads elsewhere about non-HC cruisers in HC cabins, if you are interested). The bathroom was identical (as far as we could tell; this was our first cruise) to any other, except: 1) the mirror had an adjustment to allow it to angle down; 2) there were a few additional grab bars; and 3) the shower, while largely full sized, had a curtain on two sides rather than door or walls, and a drain built in to the floor on both of the non-walled sides. Once or twice during the trip, when the boat was rocking a little bit more, during a very long shower, a little water overran the drain into the bathroom. We placed a rolled up bath towel on the outside of that drain, and there was never a problem after that. Otherwise, the room did not seem to be any different, except I am told it is a bit more spacious than other non HC suites, to allow room for a wheelchair or scooter. We loved it. Great views, quiet, really very nice. Hope this helps, and feel free to ask any other questions.

Bill

Thanks, Bill. We were in a HC Family Suite on the STAR and the bathroom had those same modifications. They had also moved the closets against the walls to allow more room for WC and/or scooters to get around, and the bar in the closet for hanging clothes swiveled down to about waist level to make it easier to reach for someone in a WC. Moving the closets against the wall meant less desk space, but that didn't really matter to us.

Iv'e really enjoyed your review and pictures! We were on the Jewel when she was only a few months old and this brings back memories. I think NCL has the best parties for repeaters. We were in a mini suite and so did not have the suite life aboard but we enjoyed our time on her!

You receive one bottle of water gratis. We brought on a case of water. You can purchase either individual bottles of water or a case of water.

Linda is correct regarding the water. We brough a case of water with us and put it in our carry-on. Not sure if they let you check water as luggage.