A review from the Aft of the Jewel - January 17, 2015

jmele999

I will try to solve the problem with the video later on.

We spent the morning relaxing in the balcony and walking around the ship, followed by lunch.

At 1:00 pm we attended the Latitudes reception for Silver, Gold and Platinum members. There were only about 100 members in attendance so we had to consume a few drinks for those who were not able to attend to make sure that the drinks did not go to waste.

IMG_2381_zpshmwjtxc7.jpg

By 3:00 pm that afternoon, we had already sailed past Cozumel and were on our way back to Houston.

IMG_3133_zpsh1d1e7cy.jpg

I stopped by DP's secret courtyard and noticed that even on a sea day it was not crowded.

IMG_3134_zpssz0amun0.jpg

As it has become tradition for us, we attended the 4:00 pm martini tasting. It was not as well attended as the one from the first sea day, but there was a nice crowd.

IMG_3137_zpsg4gzwp0h.jpg

I really enjoyed this trick by one of the bartenders.

IMG_3140_zpsyfjh6gpl.jpg

After the martini tasting we went back to the room to get ready for dinner. For some reason I don't have any pictures of the sunset so it was probably cloudy that afternoon.

Edited by jmele999

For dinner that night we went to Teppanyaki ($25 per person), and were joined by a couple that we had met on our roll call.

IMG_3152_zpshrvllh10.jpg

The chef did a great job entertaining us. He said that the meal was cooked with love and made a heart out of fried rice.

IMG_3151_zpswl2qz664.jpg

I ordered the seafood combo (calamari, scallops, and lobster)

Here is the calamari while cooking.

IMG_3155_zpshi3ewlpe.jpg

IMG_3158_zpsmedonxta.jpg

But the lobster was the best part of the meal. It was tender and juicy.

IMG_3159_zps3gdnoj1p.jpg

My seafood combo. It was great, but too much food.

IMG_3160_zpsfn0w6ulz.jpg

DP ordered the land and sea (steak and jumbo shrimp). He said that it was very good, but could only finish half of this meal.

After dinner we returned to the room and found that our laundry had been delivered. The laundry voucher indicated that it was going to be delivered on Friday, but it was delivered early on Thursday night.

I was very surprised that the shirts were in hangers and that our shorts had been pressed.

IMG_3163_zpsjjxtja5n.jpg

Undergarments were folded, wrapped in tissue paper and placed in a basket.

IMG_3161_zpsoukyt2wb.jpg

Overall, I was very impressed with the free laundry service. Kudos to NCL!

To end Day 6, we attended the Le Cirque Bijou show in the Stardust theatre. It is a great show, and if you can only attend one show during the entire week make sure that you go to this one. But make sure to get there early to get a seat. There were people standing during both shows.

After the show, we stopped by the white hot party in the Spinnaker lounge. The white hot party was fun, but after one drink we decided to go to bed around 11:30 pm.

IMG_0514_zpsqa28pttu.jpg

IMG_0515_zpsni30uu1t.jpg

Edited by jmele999

Thanks for taking one for the team and drinking for those not in attendance at the party...LOL

Love seeing all your pictures and also "taking it for the team"! :eek: If anyone is interested in more photos and comments about the Jewel, ask Johan to post a link to his review from the Jewel in 2014 when he was in the Owners Suite...His review and pics were just as amazing as this thread.

Love seeing all your pictures and also "taking it for the team"! :eek: If anyone is interested in more photos and comments about the Jewel, ask Johan to post a link to his review from the Jewel in 2014 when he was in the Owners Suite...His review and pics were just as amazing as this thread.

Thanks so much. I am going to send you a picture this weekend after the review is completed.

Hello all,

Sorry if I gave the impression that my review was done. I still need to cover Day 7 including the behind the scenes tour and a second visit to Le Bistro. I also want to talk about the disembarkation process and overall thoughts on the cruise. Lastly, if people are interested, briefly cover our trip to San Antonio, and the trip back home.

Hello all,

Sorry if I gave the impression that my review was done. I still need to cover Day 7 including the behind the scenes tour and a second visit to Le Bistro. I also want to talk about the disembarkation process and overall thoughts on the cruise. Lastly, if people are interested, briefly cover our trip to San Antonio, and the trip back home.

Johan,

We are ready for more when you are ready to share. I am curious about your last night. Did you get back early and spend it in port like others have?

Friday morning I did not bother getting up early because I knew that it was going to be cloudy and cold. We got up around 7:30 am and followed our usual routine of making a cappuccino, spending time in the balcony, followed by breakfast.

On our way to breakfast, it became clear that the end of our cruise was getting near as we were slowly, but surely approaching Houston.

IMG_3166_zpsvx3vlign.jpg

But even though it was our last full day onboard and it was cloudy and cold, we decided to make the most of our day.

On our way to the behind the scenes tour we started noticing some of the oil rigs. I did not know that they were some far from coast.

IMG_0517_zpsnhfclbm1.jpg

You can also see how cloudy it was - but a day at sea is better than a day at home!

The behind-the-scenes tour is complementary for Latitudes platinum members. However, several cruise critic members have previously reported that the behind-the-scenes tours for platinum members was an abbreviated version of the regular behind-the-scenes tour, which costs $79 per person.

Based on the reports from other cruisers, I did not want to get too excited about the tour, but was I wrong. The behind-the-scenes tour lasted over one hour and 20 minutes, and the tour guide, Nemo from the shore excursions team, was great. He was very knowledgeable and answered a lot of our questions regarding life onboard a cruise ship as a crew/staff member. He told us that he was going to get in trouble with his boss because the tour was too long.

Here is Nemo showing of us why the front of the ship right behind the stage of the Stardust theater is the rockiest part of the ship.

IMG_0519_zpspqfyijt1.jpg

Here are some pictures of dressing room in the Stardust theater.

IMG_0523_zpskjqxl5vc.jpg

IMG_0524_zpsv6mwhcsc.jpg

IMG_0525_zpsvnkqv0l7.jpg

We continued the tour by going to deck 5 and visiting the famous I-95 corridor. For those of you who are not familiar with I-95, it is a long corridor that runs the length of the ship, and it is used by crew and staff members to get from the front to the back of the ship.

IMG_0527_zpspeswjdcq.jpg

Edited by jmele999

From the I-95 corridor, we went down to the laundry facilities on Deck 4.

IMG_0536_zpszzijxxz3.jpg

IMG_0537_zpsuonfsc08.jpg

IMG_0528_zpsjoa70c1o.jpg

Doing the laundry is a huge operation, but don't worry as the crew members don't have to fold the sheets. Here is the machine which dries and folds the sheets.

IMG_0540_zpsqrbfp2h7.jpg

IMG_0541_zpshrklk1jn.jpg

We continued the tour by going to deck 5 and visiting the famous I-95 corridor. For those of you who are not familiar with I-95, it is a long corridor that runs the length of the ship, and it is used by crew and staff members to get from the front to the back of the ship.

What I-95 is not the route to go back and forth from cruise port to cruise port on the eastern seaboard for CC passengers :D

What I-95 is not the route to go back and forth from cruise port to cruise port on the eastern seaboard for CC passengers :D

Linda - that was funny, but you are not allowed to use that corridor unless you sign a contract and agree to work for nine months straight.:D

Edited by jmele999

The behind-the-scenes tour was excellent and we learnt a lot about crew life onboard including that those staff/crew members who have daily interaction with guests (shore excursions team members, guest services desk staff members) tend to have shorter contracts.

We also learnt that everything onboard is either recycled or burnt. Even the used oil is sold.

IMG_0551_zpshxwpyuec.jpg

After the behind-the-scenes tour, we had lunch and spent the afternoon relaxing - DP took a long nap on the balcony and enjoyed the hot tubs, which were great on a cold day.

IMG_0112_zpsyndlq8vp.jpg

And by now, you should all know what happens at 4:00 pm on sea days.

IMG_3170_zpsmvbdjzuw.jpg

But I decided to have a dry martini this time while DP enjoyed his last martini tasting of the cruise.

Edited by jmele999