Man swept away in Huahine

Minoushka

A passenger ...apparently Japanese who went snorkeling and got taken by a strong current ...like a riptide .....he was not found

His wife was left on that island ....helicopters flew around looking for him ....last I heard he was stiill not found .What a sad story for that family .We did have some pretty rough weather because of a Cyclone in the area .It was raining in Huahine that day pretty hard ...

So very very sad

We were at that beach when it happened. The weather was not too bad. The current was very strong. We only went out about waist deep. If you were out snorkeling you may not realize the strength of the current. I have learned the lesson to not snorkel in unknown waters. We were told the some thing happened a few weeks ago and the body washed up on the beach after being missing two weeks.

We were told it happens quite often ...so sad

Apparently another pax was found ....almost drowned and taken to Hospital ..he was so full of water ...

i hope they find him ...his wife must be heartbroken ...what a sad way to end ....She is supposedly still there waiting for news ....poor woman

I feel so sorry for that poor woman! There where no posted warning signs, no lifeguard and no emergency response system. The response system seem to be a local lady getting some local men to paddle out in their canoes. There were some local police that were standing on the beach. The helicopter did not show up until hours after he was reported missing. I am afraid the same thing will happen again.

Please make sure your insurance covers med expense and evacuation. Even in this case, the woman would have assistance and repatriation of remains. It doesn't prevent the tragedy, but it can make it easier to have someone to help her through all of this. We just got an addendum to our credit card insurance (trip cancellation) to cover med emergencies, med evac, and security evacuation for only $183 for both my 77 year old DH and myself. Be penny wise, people.

I live in Hawaii in a resort area. People drown here every month, they also fall off cliffs, get lost hiking and a lot of other unpleasant accidents. Most of the time it is a case of "vacationitis," a pervasive attitude that nothing ever happens when you're on vacation. So, people swim out too far, are out of shape, underestimate their danger, overestimate their strength. If you want to swim in ocean waters, start getting into shape and never take on more on vacation than you can do at home.

Edited by kekilia

Please make sure your insurance covers med expense and evacuation. Even in this case, the woman would have assistance and repatriation of remains. It doesn't prevent the tragedy, but it can make it easier to have someone to help her through all of this. We just got an addendum to our credit card insurance (trip cancellation) to cover med emergencies, med evac, and security evacuation for only $183 for both my 77 year old DH and myself. Be penny wise, people.

Does your credit card insurance cover you if you need to leave the cruise because a family member becomes ill or dies? Or just if something happens to you?

Does your credit card insurance cover you if you need to leave the cruise because a family member becomes ill or dies? Or just if something happens to you?

My cc is Chase Sapphire with standard travel insurance up to 20k pp per year as long as you pay for your trip with your card. To answer your question, yes, it would cover you, your spouse on the trip and the policy covers incidents of various types including serious illness or death of close family members (children, parents, siblings) but not your great aunt or cousin twice removed. The wording of the policy should be read to understand the coverage and limits, but according to my TA, it is very standard trip insurance. It covers trip cancel, interruption, etc. it covers airlines, shore excursions, everything that is part of your trip.however, as I stated before, it is not foreign med ins or evac ins.

A lot of people do not even realize they have this coverage, they use the card to get miles and don't bother to read their benefits. I got my TA to cover all the amounts of trip above 20k pp and because the ins cost so little, he gave me prepaid grats and a $1350 OSC!

Medjet Assist s an excellent product ABOVE standard trip cancellation and medical insurance. It covers only evacuation.

It will fly you from a hospital, anywhere in the world, to the hospital of your choice. They will send a jet with an RN, EMT, or MD, dependent upon your need. They also coordinate medical care, offer translation, etc. it is also in effect if you are greater than 150 miles from home in the US.

It's a very reasonable coverage and we have purchased it through AARP's website with considerable savings.

We first bought it for a circumnavigation of South America, and then saw its value as ex-pats, since we were spending 5 months of the year in Nova Scotia, where we had a second home.

I hope nobody needs this insurance, but it is good coverage if you do.

Ricki

I live in Hawaii in a resort area. People drown here every month, they also fall off cliffs, get lost hiking and a lot of other unpleasant accidents. Most of the time it is a case of "vacationitis," a pervasive attitude that nothing ever happens when you're on vacation. So, people swim out too far, are out of shape, underestimate their danger, overestimate their strength. If you want to swim in ocean waters, start getting into shape and never take on more on vacation than you can do at home.

^quoting for truth.

I might be getting a little too far off the scale here, but plenty of the problem lies in that there is no danger in our normal life in the "first" world. We're not having to dodge snipers, bears, tigers, dragons, despots, or death squads on a daily basis so we are SURE that we're safe everywhere.

The # of folks who travel to "exotic" locales w/o grasping the dangers with the "exotic" locale is staggering. First rule, when in the third world your first thing to procure is a gun that you're able to use reasonably well or trustworthy/dependable security.

The snorkel excursion we did on Huahine was advised against for beginning snorkelers or people not comfortable in the water. For that reason, my husband spent the day on the motu while I (being a much stronger swimmer and accomplished snorkeler) did the excursion. That being said, I don't *think* it was in the same location - though there was a very strong current, we were in the lagoon between the two islands that make up Huahine. That's one of the reasons I'm interested in news about this event - to see where it happened.

I find it humorous the number of Americans who remark on things like "there's no guardrail!" or whatever when traveling outside the US. I always reply that the rest of the world is perfectly happy to let you kill yourself.

Edited by azevedan

^quoting for truth.

I might be getting a little too far off the scale here, but plenty of the problem lies in that there is no danger in our normal life in the "first" world. We're not having to dodge snipers, bears, tigers, dragons, despots, or death squads on a daily basis so we are SURE that we're safe everywhere.

The # of folks who travel to "exotic" locales w/o grasping the dangers with the "exotic" locale is staggering. First rule, when in the third world your first thing to procure is a gun that you're able to use reasonably well or trustworthy/dependable security.

A gun ...really ..a gun ..for a poor guy who got swept away by a current ...?sheesh

I think you are pulling our leg. Great satire! :D

A gun is the perfect recipe for starting a truly authentic travel experience in a third world prison.... Instead I travel with a security team. ;)

We were exactly there in the morning I did see boats out there ...even dipped my toes in the waters .......near the turquoise waters ....Yes a storm blew in out of nowhere ...lots of rain ...and wind....maybe thats when it happened ....the storm came quick ......very quick ...huge .downpour .....then calm and sun came out again ...but we were oblivious to what was going on as we boarded the Oceania bus back to ship ..not too sure how many people knew what happened

You are fortunate in the U.S. that your credit card will cover medical insurance over the age of 65. In Canada all is well with medical insurance using your credit card to book your trip - but when you turn 65 - you are declined medical insurance.

Linda

The location was in Fare about 150 yards from the Huahine Yacht Club.

Thank you.

I realize now I was confusing the snorkel trip I described (for advanced snorkelers only). That one was on Taha'a, not Huahine. We did snorkel several times as part of an all-day excursion on Huahine. There was a very strong current when we snorkeled with the blue-tipped reef sharks, but we had a rope in the water. My DH did not go in the water in that particular spot (only about 1/2 the 10 people on the excursion did). I don't think it was near Fare. It was a gloriously sunny day, but that current was seriously strong. I did a full flip (not by choice) around the rope at one point from the force of it.

Edited by azevedan

^quoting for truth.

I would like to be at security when you come back on board