kindle on ship

fourkittys

Will my kindle work on the ship in port and at sea? Thanks!

It should. I took my iPad on my Alaska cruise. It is wifi only but I did not connect to a wifi. I synced what I was reading before I left. It won't sync without a connection but it should pick up where you last left off.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There are a lot of different kind of Kindle's. Some just for reading others are tablets (Fire). They will all work as long as they are charged. If you need an internet connection or cell connection, that is a different question. I don't think WhisperNet will work over Cellular at Sea.

If you have an older Kindle with the keyboard you can access the internet for free without connecting to any kind of wi-fi, whenever you are docked or close to land. The layout isn't pretty and you don't want to spend a lot of time on this but you can check e-mails and Facebook, etc. This even works in Europe. It won't work while you are at sea. You can always read the books on your Kindle no matter where you are. You can only download new books when you are docked or close to land.

I never leave home without my Kindle Fire. If you have an Amazon Prime Membership, you can download free movies.

My Kindle has 32 gigs, and always download 6 movies before leaving home. There is no need t have internet access to view the movies at sea. However if you are asking about internet use only, yes it does work

If you have movies or books stored in the cloud, move them to the device while you are online. I do this before leaving home because I do not buy an internet package

Edited by cateyes2u

If you have a Kindle with 3G, you can access Whispernet almost anywhere. My sister accidentally deleted a book she was reading while in the Caribbean, and was able to retrieve it. I downloaded books while in the Med. These were regular Kindles, not Fire. EM

If you have a Kindle with 3G, you can access Whispernet almost anywhere. My sister accidentally deleted a book she was reading while in the Caribbean, and was able to retrieve it. I downloaded books while in the Med. These were regular Kindles, not Fire. EM

Were you at sea though?

The thing is, with a Kindle that just uses Whispernet, you aren't paying for use of the cellular data. There are no charges. If it works, then Amazon has an agreement to pay for the roaming charges to deliver their content to your Kindle. If it doesn't work, you don't pay but you don't get the content. There is no worry about surprise charges on a regular kindle. Though if you have a Kindle Fire or Fire Phone that has 4G, you probably want to set it to Wifi only or airplane mode.

This was a few years ago, but I was able to access the Kindle Whispernet/3G worked when we were well out to sea. By well out to see I am talking about the morning of a 2nd sea day in a row. I.. ran out of books to read and needed something desperately! I am an obsessive reader though and this was a present so that I didn't bring 6 books on this cruise like I did on our last one. DH was not happy about having that extra weight in a suitcase since they were hardbacks let me tell you!

http://client0.cellmaps.com/tabs.html#cellmaps_intl_tab This is a link to where the Kindle 3g/Whispernet should work, but it really isn't accurate from what I can tell since I was no where near those areas. I actually pulled that up to check when we were out to sea!

If you have a Fire Tablet though, you are out of luck and need Wi-Fi somewhere to download stuff no matter what. Since there is generally so much room on them, it is always better to over download before you leave than be stuck!