Star still in San Francisco

JerseyShore

We left at 6:30 on Jan 3rd due to refueling delays, but the Port Authority was present that day. Star left at 11 pm on Jan 13th (some reported watching another slowdown from their balconies).

Edited by cflutist

There's a problem with the Longshoreman, it's a work slow down. We just got off the Star and we didn't leave the dock until 11:30 heading to Hawaii 1/13/15. We had a Caribe balcony all the way aft. We sat on our balcony watching the whole fiasco. We saw them cutting the locks off the semi trucks parked below. They off loaded pallets of Cocoa-cola and other beverages. Sitting on the dock were pallets of flour, turnips, rice, and beer that needed to be loaded. There were 6 semi trucks just sitting there waiting to be unloaded. Fast forward to Hilo.

We were waiting for our van to show up. The driver locked his keys in the car with the motor running at Turtle Beach. All of our packages were in the van. He did get another van to drop us off at the ship. We waited around for him to show up with our packages. While waiting, two SUV's pull up and out jumps crew members unloading 5 lb bags of flour. Two big pallets of flour. We asked about it and they said that some of the flour didn't show up at the dock in SF and the chef sent them out to get extra to have on hand. It looked like they got every 5 lb sack of flour on Hilo! Talk about winging it!

So, it's no surprise that the Star will be leaving late.

Edited by elliair

If this 'problem' with the longshoreman persists, you would think Princess Cruises could step in and maybe 'put their foot down'. I'm not sure what they could do, other than make it known to the authorities on both sides that this is unexceptable behavior for them (and the ships passengers) to be caught in the middle of whatever dispute they have.

:cool:

I was on the Star on Dec 19th when we didn't leave until after 11pm plus a whole bunch of luggage was dumped in the water all thanks to the longshoremen. After we got home I wrote a letter to the port Authority. They wrote back(most likely a form letter, but I really couldn't tell) saying they were very aware of the problems with the longshoremen. They assured us that all is taken care of. It was a nice letter but somehow it did not give me any assurance this type of thing wouldn't happen again. BTW the longshoremen are in a dispute along the whole west coast. I saw on the news HUGE piles of recycle stuff sitting on the docks waiting to be loaded, Apparently the longshoremen are doing ONLY a minimum of work. Also they get paid VERY well and was told in the letter they should NEVER ask for tips. We gave them $10, but some paid as much as $100 because the longshoremen DEMANDED it back in December. I pray this dispute gets over and done with soon.

If this 'problem' with the longshoreman persists, you would think Princess Cruises could step in and maybe 'put their foot down'. I'm not sure what they could do, other than make it known to the authorities on both sides that this is unexceptable behavior for them (and the ships passengers) to be caught in the middle of whatever dispute they have.

Obviously they could care less what Princess thinks.

Thats their leverage with the union against the port.

Nothing would draw more attention and make a bigger statement than ALL passengers on the next cruise boycotting large tips. "A buck a bag" as a show of passenger solidarity. Think about the evening news and the near universal support for your actions.

These longshoremen aren't exactly poor or adored and a reminder of just how good they really do have it, would be healthy.

If your bags got tossed in the bay or damaged, then imagine the attorney line that would form on our behalf. Now the negative light has really been cast on these clowns.

These guys should be looking at the future. The new large container terminal and cruise terminal in Mexico could attract a lot of business down there instead of coming to Los Angeles and Long Beach. Stay tuned !!

San Fran is a little less vulnerable, but could be eliminated as an origin port.

Edited by swedish weave

Seems to me that Princess might end up leaving san fran as a cruise port..and then the longshoreman will all be unemployed....people need to thing about there actions these days, there are many other ports that would be thrilled to have Princess or any other cruise line.

Please note that this work slowdown is widespread among the West Coast ports. I doubt that Princess would leave SF based solely on this.

Grey

These guys should be looking at the future. The new large container terminal and cruise terminal in Mexico could attract a lot of business down there instead of coming to Los Angeles and Long Beach. Stay tuned !!

San Fran is a little less vulnerable, but could be eliminated as an origin port.

I can only wish this! I want every one of them to lose their cushy well paying jobs. Let our neighbors to the south of us take all the cruising and importing business away from Oakland and San Francisco. I want to see them in the unemployment line.

There is absolutely nothing Princess can do other than claim any financial remedies in the contract. They are not allowed to deal directly with the port workers.

They could make a public fuss, but honestly that would probably only make the situation worse.

If it does not abate soon, I could see Princess not renewing their contract with SF Ports. They probably could terminate early on performance grounds too.

Please note that this work slowdown is widespread among the West Coast ports. I doubt that Princess would leave SF based solely on this.

Exactly. This is part of the cost of doing business, I suspect, in Princess' view. Moving all the business to Mexico would complicate things (enormously) and not solve any labor disputes in California or Oregon or Washington. To suggest such a thing is just silly, IMO.

Rather than tipping a dollar a bag, and taking the chance of having my nice luggage tossed in the bay, I will be taking "carry-on" luggage only. It's only a 7-day coastal cruise, so I think with a little luck and ingenuity, I can bypass the porters all together. What a pain in the rear.:rolleyes:

I asked for a comment from the Port Authority today about the late sailings over the last couple of months. This was the response

Star Princess sailed from Pier 27 at 6:06pm yesterday (Jan 28) in order to complete the stores loading operation.

Besides the routine provisions for the voyage, there were technical stores which required extra time.

All passengers and baggage were on board by 4:00pm, the scheduled sailing time, as last call (Jan 13).

The longshore contract issue has not been a factor in the late sailings.

The passenger surveys are done after the cruise, not before.

I am not sure who they are trying to kid!

Jackie

I asked for a comment from the Port Authority today about the late sailings over the last couple of months. This was the response

Star Princess sailed from Pier 27 at 6:06pm yesterday (Jan 28) in order to complete the stores loading operation.

Besides the routine provisions for the voyage, there were technical stores which required extra time.

All passengers and baggage were on board by 4:00pm, the scheduled sailing time, as last call (Jan 13).

The longshore contract issue has not been a factor in the late sailings.

The passenger surveys are done after the cruise, not before.

I am not sure who they are trying to kid!

Jackie

The Port Authority told you the passenger surveys are done after the cruise, not before? Why? What difference does that make to the Port Authority? I'm confused.

The Port Authority told you the passenger surveys are done after the cruise, not before? Why? What difference does that make to the Port Authority? I'm confused.

They had previously told me they were getting very high satisfaction surveys about this new terminal. I thought that was at odds with the antics cruisers are experiencing with the dockers.