Any cruises go near Iguazu Falls?

Tark

Hi,

I have been searching the net for the past hours but got a bit stuck.

Maybe someone can tell me yes or no to this question.

Does any cruises in South America go near Iguazu Falls? It is on the border of Argentina and Brazil. You may or may not have heard of them but they are quite famous. I would love to see the water falls :)

Thanks for any help!

You will have to fly from a port in Brazil or Argentina to see the falls. I don't know what your defination of "near" is, but as far as I'm concerned, no cruise ship can get near Iguasu Falls. There are a number of cruises that go to Brazil and/or Argentina. I know on a cruise we did there was a shore ex from Buenos Aires where one flew r/t in one day to see the falls. It was about 12-hrs IIRC. Others went there pre-cruise before we boarded in Rio.

Thanks for the replies.

I looked at all I could apart from maps to see how far inland they were. :)

Some on trip advisor had said they visited while on a cruise so I thought maybe there is one with an excursion. I just could not find it.

When I said near I did not mean actually sail near the falls hehe. I just meant not too far for an excursion.

Thanks for the replies.

I looked at all I could apart from maps to see how far inland they were. :)

Some on trip advisor had said they visited while on a cruise so I thought maybe there is one with an excursion. I just could not find it.

When I said near I did not mean actually sail near the falls hehe. I just meant not too far for an excursion.

I googled Cruise Ship excursions to Iguaza Falls and found this

http://www.princess.com/learn/cruisetours/south_america/subtrades/sct.jsp

So try exploring what Princess cruise tours offer.

I have been to Iguazu Falls, Machu Picchu, and Moscow where excursions are offered from port, and there are many such examples (Berlin?). But I did all on land not cruises and I wouldn't recommend doing any of them from a port. It is just too much in too short a time in my estimation. Iguazu is the most simple as it is just one sight, although there are variations between seeing the falls from the Brazil vs. the Argentina side, whereas there is so much more to Moscow and even Machu Picchu. The falls are impressive and massive, but that's it; stand and watch one natural wonder once you get there. But would I do it on a relatively short but rigorous cruise excursion? No, not me. But plenty of people do and if you do it I hope it is the greatest thrill for you.

Edited by jamessemaj

I have been to Iguazu Falls, Machu Picchu, and Moscow where excursions are offered from port, and there are many such examples (Berlin?). But I did all on land not cruises and I wouldn't recommend doing any of them from a port. It is just too much in too short a time in my estimation. Iguazu is the most simple as it is just one sight, although there are variations between seeing the falls from the Brazil vs. the Argentina side, whereas there is so much more to Moscow and even Machu Picchu. The falls are impressive and massive, but that's it; stand and watch one natural wonder once you get there. But would I do it on a relatively short but rigorous cruise excursion? No, not me. But plenty of people do and if you do it I hope it is the greatest thrill for you.

Thank you for sharing that. I do take on board what you are saying. I need to give this some thought and do some more research!

Thank you for sharing that. I do take on board what you are saying. I need to give this some thought and do some more research!

Tark, I came back to offer full disclosure of my view and saw that you had responded. Thank you. The further disclosure is that I have traveled extensively and don't do excursions. Example: from Le Havre, I wanted to see the Normandy sights, but declined because of a 2 hour bus ride each way. On cruises, I generally wander about the port city. So...each person chooses based on their own experience and interests. Again, I wish you well in whatever you decide.

About four or five years ago, my hubby said he would like to do a South American cruise one day with the side trip (pre-cruise if the cruise starts in Brazil and post-cruise if it ends there) to the Falls. It's a pretty expensive excursion as you have to fly there and it's usually a few days staying there, but you'll visit both sides of the Falls.

For the OP, if you look at any cruise line that has a South American cruise, odds are, it will have an excursion there (or you can look for one that fits in with your sailing date).

We flew to the Iguaçu Falls from Buenos Aires before our cruise. Easy to do and much cheaper than a ship's excursion. We spent two nights in a hotel in Puerto Iguaçu on the Argentinian side, took a bus to the falls and a taxi to the Brazilian side.

An Iguazu Falls excursion was $1800 per person for our HAL cruise last year. The excursion left in the morning and returned the following afternoon to Buenos Aires. It included one night in a hotel and flights. By comparison, I arranged our own flights and 2 nights hotel on the Brazilian side before our cruise, in a package with our other flights through orbitz. Total cost for 4 people was about $1200.

When reading the OPs topic I was trying to picture a Cruise ship that could cruise through the mountains and jungles :). It kind of boggles the mind. With the internet at our fingertips folks should be able to learn a little geography. That being said we would add another issue regarding Iguasu Falls. The last I heard, one needs to have a current (they are good for 10 years) Yellow Fever Vaccination. Not sure of the situation in the UK, but in the USA that is not covered by any insurance of which we are aware and it can cost about $200 a shot. It also only given at specified inoculation centers (often connected with major hospitals).

Hank

Hi,

I have been searching the net for the past hours but got a bit stuck.

Maybe someone can tell me yes or no to this question.

Does any cruises in South America go near Iguazu Falls? It is on the border of Argentina and Brazil. You may or may not have heard of them but they are quite famous. I would love to see the water falls :)

Thanks for any help!

We will be on a cruise that departs in two weeks from Buenos Aires, and we are flying to Buenos Aires 4 days early to visit Buenos Aires and go to Iguazu Falls. The flight to Iguazu Falls is about an hour and a half from Buenos Aires. We are spending one night at the hotel which is in the National Park on the Argentina side. Our cruise is on Celebrity Infinity.

Here is a link to the National Park in Argentina.

http://www.cataratasdoiguacu.com.br/portal/paginas/131-natural-heritage-site.aspx

You are not required to have a Yellow Fever shot for Argentina, but our travel health physician did recommend it, so we got it. It wasn't that expensive in the grand scheme of travel things. We are not going to the Brazil side so I do not know their requirements.

We are not doing a ship's tour, we booked an independant tour. For both of us, round trip flight from BA, hotel one night and all land transportation was a total of $1285.00, we are staying right at the falls with a view of the falls from our room. So yes, much less expensive to do it on our own.

Sometimes responses can have a critical tone to them. When that happens just ignore it. There are a whole lot of people who do not know where things are on the map, many times in their own state or country. Once you are blessed to start traveling a lot, you will get very familiar with geography.

Dear Tark,

Below is a link to our South American trip story. It was a land tour, and we spent a couple of days at the falls. We even took a jet boat that went UNDER the falls. This was no your Maid of the Mist tour in Niagara Falls!

http://stevekathytravels.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/southamerica2009.pdf

The best viewing of the Argentine falls is from the Brazilian side. You will need a Brazilian visa, however.

We are happy to answer any questions.