Wish I Could Merge Bits of RCCL & Princess :)

I like the rooms ready at embarkation, international cafe way better than cafe promenade, poolside grill is excellent and love the aft pool terraces. Royal has better entertainment, better laid out buffets, and I like the grand dining rooms better.

Forgot to mention when I posted earlier, LMaxwell thanks for reminding me, the International Cafe is superior to the Cafe promenade. The poolside grill, sorry, on Royal you go to the buffet for burgers, dogs, fries, etc.

As to the rooms being ready when you board, very true. We found out on the Navigator last week, our cabin steward was busy wrestling luggage all afternoon. We had gotten used to meeting the cabin steward very soon after going to our room, seemed on all our previous cruises they were on the spot to ask about special requests or anything they could add or change for you. Just a nice touch, not a deal breaker. Small differences here and there.

Edited by L454S

Forgot to mention when I posted earlier, LMaxwell thanks for reminding me, the International Cafe is superior to the Cafe promenade. The poolside grill, sorry, on Royal you go to the buffet for burgers, dogs, fries, etc.

As to the rooms being ready when you board, very true. We found out on the Navigator last week, our cabin steward was busy wrestling luggage all afternoon. We had gotten used to meeting the cabin steward very soon after going to our room, seemed on all our previous cruises they were on the spot to ask about special requests or anything they could add or change for you. Just a nice touch, not a deal breaker. Small differences here and there.

This room ready thing pops up all the time. When are you allowed to board a Princess ship? We board At 1:00 generally, so our room is ready when we board. ;)

Never cruised Princess, but as I prepare for my first RCI cruise, here is what I am disappointed about losing from Carnival:

• No self-serve laundry. What the heck? This seems like a basic amenity. I was shocked when I found out I had to use valet service to get laundry done.
  • Comedy. Using the second lounge as an almost dedicated venue, Carnival has far more frequent comedy. As someone that does not care for the Vegas-style musical revues, it is nice to have a regular alternative.
  • A dedicated piano bar, complete with a bar around the player and singing along.
  • Easier access to the front of the ship. I have yet to experiment with the RCI helipad, but no most Carnival ships, a few decks above and below the bridge are public decks that are great for sail away, as well as for some late night stargazing.

on Royal you go to the buffet for terrible burgers, dogs, fries, etc.

I fixed it for you :D the hotdogs and fries are pretty good though

Seriously, would it be THAT hard to get better hamburgers and pizza onboard without an upcharge?

I have thought of cruising Princess just for the pizza alone LOL! :o It looks really delicious and Ive never heard anything but positive reviews on it.

I panicked at the idea of no laundry service on my first Royal cruise. I have found that it's one of the reasons I LOVE ROYAL. I budget the wash 'n fold into EVERY cruise and send it out. I love not having to do laundry during vacation. I'll never do laundry on vacation again. We even managed fine with a Med cruise with 2 days pre-cruise and 2 days post-cruise without finding a laundry. We sent more than one wash 'n fold bag. Getting clean clothes back while I was having a fruity drink by the pool was FABULOUS. LOVE the promenade on Royal and don't like the Royal ships that don't have it. Very seldom do I eat pizza on a cruise. Ordering pizza is our "go-to" meal at home. Love the BBQ on the pool deck with Royal. Love the Tutti Salad on sea days in the MDR. Love the ice show.

Never cruised Princess, but as I prepare for my first RCI cruise, here is what I am disappointed about losing from Carnival:

• No self-serve laundry. What the heck? This seems like a basic amenity. I was shocked when I found out I had to use valet service to get laundry done.
  • Comedy. Using the second lounge as an almost dedicated venue, Carnival has far more frequent comedy. As someone that does not care for the Vegas-style musical revues, it is nice to have a regular alternative.
  • A dedicated piano bar, complete with a bar around the player and singing along.
  • Easier access to the front of the ship. I have yet to experiment with the RCI helipad, but no most Carnival ships, a few decks above and below the bridge are public decks that are great for sail away, as well as for some late night stargazing.

Schooner Bar is a piano lounge in evening. It has the seating around the piano as well

I fixed it for you :D the hotdogs and fries are pretty good though

Seriously, would it be THAT hard to get better hamburgers and pizza onboard without an upcharge?

I have thought of cruising Princess just for the pizza alone LOL! :o It looks really delicious and Ive never heard anything but positive reviews on it.

Ryano, thanks, you are right. Should have put that in there for the full story to be told.

One of the things we enjoy about cruising is the opportunity to try food that we don't eat in our every day life. When we eat in the MDR, I will try something new at every meal.

We will also go to one or two of the specialty restaurants and try new things there. On our last cruise we were on the Island Princess. We tried pheasant and alligator ribs and a few others things. It was a great experience.

No burgers, hot dogs, or fries while I'm cruising . . . with the exception of Johnny Rockets on RC to please my wife. :D

Happy cruising everyone. It's a great way to travel.

Edited by JimAOk1945

I would add Trident Grill and Prego Pizza to RCL.

Also laundry facilities.

I agree about the laundry or have like Holland America has an unlimited package per cabin for $49 a week. Their all you can stuff in a bag on RCL of underclothing is not something I would use again for 30 bucks.

Love everything else about Royal but I was on Princess first and for many cruises before I started Royal.