NCL Epic and Civitavecchia Port

heathero

Hi,

In May we will be docking at Civitavecchia port at 6am on the NCL Epic.

I know there is talk of a temporary stop, but not sure it it will still be there in May, but I wondered what would be the earliest train out of Civitavecchia to St Peters we would be able to make? We are in a Haven Suite, so could be one of the first ones let off.

Thanks

Edited by heathero

What was initially described as a temporary movement of the port entrance/exit is looking more and more permanent as time goes on. I would count on the Via Turco entrance/exit being the one available when you are there.

You haven't shared the day of week you'll be there, but assuming it is NOT a Sunday, there are trains at 6:13, 6:40, 7:02, 7:19, 7:44, and 7:58.

One limiting factor will be if the port shuttle is up and running at 6 AM.

It on a Wednesday, my son wants to get to the papal audience.

So if he gets off at 6am, on the first port shuttle to the Turco entrance, is it still about a 10 minute walk to the station. (I am not certain the buses will be running at that time of the morning).

So he could aim for the 6.40 or 7.02 train into st peters, he will have no luggage, leaving it all with us to drag off at a more leisurely pace after we have had breakfast. We are planning on getting transport arranged from outside the baggage reclaim area to our apartment, which will let us drop the luggage off at lunch time.

If this is arrival and disembarkation day at Civitavecchia (and not just a port stop), I think you'd be very optimistic that anyone gets off the ship at 6:00 am.

Also, note that it's at least a 20-25 minute walk from the "new" port entrance to the train station; about twice as long as previously.

Edited by cruisemom42

It on a Wednesday, my son wants to get to the papal audience.

So if he gets off at 6am, on the first port shuttle to the Turco entrance, is it still about a 10 minute walk to the station. (I am not certain the buses will be running at that time of the morning).

So he could aim for the 6.40 or 7.02 train into st peters, he will have no luggage, leaving it all with us to drag off at a more leisurely pace after we have had breakfast. We are planning on getting transport arranged from outside the baggage reclaim area to our apartment, which will let us drop the luggage off at lunch time.

With all of this additional information I think there's a chance of getting to the piazza in time, but certainly not as early as you are hoping I'm afraid.

For disembarkation arriving at 6 AM, even in a suite, does not mean you can get off. It's up to the port authority when passengers can start getting off. Further, if the port shuttle is not running as yet it's a long walk to the exit (assuming they still let you walk through the port in Civitavecchia, I don't know if that has changed or not). From the closest in pier it's just under a mile to the Via Turco exit, from the further out section it can be as much as two miles.

Then, from Via Turco to the train station is just under a mile. Depending on his rate of walking/running, altogether that's almost an hour at a moderate walk or as little as 15 minutes at a brisk jog.

• 1 month later...

I have researched and researched about the best way to get from the port to the airport. In order to make sure I make my 11:50 flight it looks like a private transfer is the way to go. The question I have now is what time do I arrange to have the car pick me up? If the boat docks at 6:00 and I take my own luggage off the boat....what time should I arrange for the car. Can anyone help?

Thanks

I have researched and researched about the best way to get from the port to the airport. In order to make sure I make my 11:50 flight it looks like a private transfer is the way to go. The question I have now is what time do I arrange to have the car pick me up? If the boat docks at 6:00 and I take my own luggage off the boat....what time should I arrange for the car. Can anyone help?

Thanks

7:30 would be fine. 8 at latest.

How early you need to be at the airport depends on where your flight is going and the airline. If you are on a flight directly to the US (no stop along the way) AND you are on a US-branded airline (American, Delta, United, US Air) you need to go to Terminal 5, which requires three hours prior to departure, or 8:50 AM. To get there from Civitavecchia you should be picked up between 7:30 - 8 AM, at the very latest.

If, on the other hand, you are making a stop before the States or if you are flying direct on AlItalia, you will depart from one of the main terminals and only require two hours prior to departure. You can wait another hour to leave the port in this case.

What was initially described as a temporary movement of the port entrance/exit is looking more and more permanent as time goes on. I would count on the Via Turco entrance/exit being the one available when you are there.

You haven't shared the day of week you'll be there, but assuming it is NOT a Sunday, there are trains at 6:13, 6:40, 7:02, 7:19, 7:44, and 7:58.

One limiting factor will be if the port shuttle is up and running at 6 AM.

I haven't been able to find this train schedule info.

Where can I find the local train information/times/ticket info?

I haven't been able to find this train schedule info.

Where can I find the local train information/times/ticket info?

Go to the Trenitalia site and put in a date within the next few weeks and select a time that reflects when you want to travel.

The local times don't show up more than a couple of months in advance.

Alternatively you can look at the timetables here, but I don't know how frequently they are updated:

http://www.civitavecchia.net/travellers-trains.html

(the local train schedules don't change much....!)

Go to the Trenitalia site and put in a date within the next few weeks and select a time that reflects when you want to travel.

The local times don't show up more than a couple of months in advance.

Alternatively you can look at the timetables here, but I don't know how frequently they are updated:

http://www.civitavecchia.net/travellers-trains.html

(the local train schedules don't change much....!)

Thanks so much!