About bringing a cooler

beachbum53

We use one of the small Styrofoam coolers like they use to ship steaks and such. Our's is about 12x12x12 but the good thing is the sides are like 2" thick Styrofoam and it keeps ice for a really long time. I carry it on empty and never had a problem.

• 1 month later...

I prefer a hard-sided cooler; no leakage and less consensation. We have one that fits in our luggage. Even though it is hard-sided, it doesn't take up any more space than a soft-sided because we pack stuff in it; the volume it actually takes up is just the walls, top, and bottom.

I bring on a Coleman cooler that has a hard insert that I got at Wally World. I have never had an issue bringing it on with drinks already in it with no ice of course. The stewards have always put ice in it without us even asking for it. Then again I always tip my room steward on the first day.

I have a couple of comments;

1) Your room steward is not going to measure your cooler and if requested will fill it morning and evening.

2) Just a friendly word, while some of you kind folks have been successful taking larger than the 12X12X12 coolers onboard, please be aware that I have seen several abandoned in the Galveston terminal. I read one poster above also stated they "just left it" as the were not about to walk back to the car. Some of the photo's of coolers looked really nice. I would hate to have you take one based on what others have been able to take on board and then be denied.

We always bring our soft-sided cooler that folds flat to fit in our luggage for transport. It also has a shoulder strap so we can easily take water bottles off the ship for days at the beach. One thing we do to prevent leaks is to line it with the small plastic garbage bags (I usually just buy them at the dollar store--super cheap!) These bags are also handy for transporting damp clothes/water shoes, etc at the end of the trip if they didn't dry completely.

We have always had the cooler refilled daily or as needed by our room steward with a note or request at the beginning of the trip. And of course, we tip a little extra at the end of the trip.

Since this thread is talking coolers I have a question:

When we are in Freeport we are going to Governors Beach...great non crowded beach. I have been reading that they no longer have a "snack bar" open or are renting chairs but you can still go sit on the beach. My question is, if I take a small (with in the rules) cooler to the beach can we buy a couple cans/bottles of beer on the ship and take off so we have something to drink?

If you are concerned about complying with size dimensions, this is the cooler that I use:

http://www.amazon.com/Picnic-Time-Insulated-Backpack-Cooler/dp/B007FGPD4K/ref=sr_1_5?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1428514400&sr=1-5&keywords=backpack+cooler

I have used this cooler for years, and it works great - no leakage, and keeps things icy cold for about a day. Along with your room steward, you can also get ice from any bar that sells buckets of beer, or from the ice machines on lido (make sure you use a cup to fill and not fill the cooler directly). The backpack cooler is a must for me for port days at the beach!

I am not sure if the Steward will keep it "full of ice". With the cutbacks, they have also cut back on the number of room steards so that they have to service a larger number of rooms. It is my undderstanding that they will give you ice in you request it. However, if you have a large cooler, I am not sure that they have the time to fill it up with ice.

A small extra tip goes a long way in keeping your cooler full of ice.

My theory is if you ask for a little something extra, just be willing to pay a little extra and then everybody is happy.;)

If you are concerned about complying with size dimensions, this is the cooler that I use:

http://www.amazon.com/Picnic-Time-Insulated-Backpack-Cooler/dp/B007FGPD4K/ref=sr_1_5?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1428514400&sr=1-5&keywords=backpack+cooler

I have used this cooler for years, and it works great - no leakage, and keeps things icy cold for about a day. Along with your room steward, you can also get ice from any bar that sells buckets of beer, or from the ice machines on lido (make sure you use a cup to fill and not fill the cooler directly). The backpack cooler is a must for me for port days at the beach!

Does this cooler lay fairly flat for packing in the luggage?

Thanks

Try adding "barrel" to the search. Search on ebay. Much cheaper than Amazon currently. I believe California Innovations make promotional items with company logos on them, so a lot of times people get these for free and sell them cheap on ebay.